The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Best horse boots for dressage?

A couple of days ago I assisted on the autopsy of a horse and we did some straining tests. I saw first hand how tendon and ligament injuries occur and thought to myself how maybe bandages aren't the best way to go when protecting the front legs of horses.

I've been considering getting some boots for my horse.

I would prefer something that would sit snugly (sort of like a bandage) but would be tough enough to handle a couple of hits from the hind feet.

Any sugestions?

Necropsy -unless of course you and the pathologist are yourselves horses

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

7 members found this post helpful.

unless of course you and the pathologist are yourselves horses
    I sometimes consider myself sort of an equine, but anyhow...! Thanks for the correction

I apologize; sometimes the grammar/proof-reading Nazi takes over and I am powerless. Sigh. Don't worry; I accidentally used an apostrophe to pluralize a noun in the comments section of an online news article, and there's no edit button .

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I Don't worry; I accidentally used an apostrophe to pluralize a noun in the comments section of an online news article, and there's no edit button .

Paula

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    A couple of days ago I assisted on the autopsy of a horse and we did some straining tests. I saw first hand how tendon and ligament injuries occur and thought to myself how maybe bandages aren't the best way to go when protecting the front legs of horses.

I've been considering getting some boots for my horse.

I would prefer something that would sit snugly (sort of like a bandage) but would be tough enough to handle a couple of hits from the hind feet.

Any sugestions?
    Look into the Veredus Piaffe line - it's a dressage boot that is made much the same way as the jump boots.

Any boot that offers strike protection would be suitable.

In a hot climate, you want to be very careful with booting as increased heat in the leg can cause tendon effects - there are many articles on booting once you start looking

article 1

an overview

2 members found this post helpful.

The legs would only be protected by ligament/tendon injury if it were contact a contact injury (ie hitting). Boots are for knocks/etc. Although some injuries are from pasture accidents/being cast/etc, most of the tendon/ligament injuries are from over use/lack of balance/support not being great enough. And any boot/bandage will not protect against that. In any case, try to wear boots/bandages which do not create heat (i.e. according to a top 'leg man' vet..no s.m. boots).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

1 members found this post helpful.

I personally don't think any of the soft leg protection (polos, wraps, non-hard shell things) do anything.

I ride everything in hard shell open front eskadron boots for impact protection.

I'm with meup. I found horze has the eskadron type with hard shell, etc. you can get a full set for $20 when they are on sale. And they come in colors!!!
    I didn't think my horse needed protection until I put these boots on. There are plenty of scuffs so far to convince me to keep using them.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I'm with meup. I found horze has the eskadron type with hard shell, etc. you can get a full set for $20 when they are on sale. And they come in colors!!!
    I didn't think my horse needed protection until I put these boots on. There are plenty of scuffs so far to convince me to keep using them.
    I bought a pair of the open front tendon boots from Horze on sale, thinking that they would be cheap-o schooling boots.

Their next sale, I bought a half dozen more pairs. These boots are GREAT, and I too didn't realize how much I needed them until I saw all the bumps and scratches on them after my first use.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Those articles were very informative. Thank you for sharing.

To each their own I guess..

I'm the opposite of many of you. I will not ride in the hard shell boots. IMO too much heat and too much of a rigid shell that digs into the tendons. I have heard that Lucinda Green expressed the same concerns at a clinic that a friend attended - however I was not there and did not have the chance to ask.

I prefer my boots - especially for everyday - to be soft and fleecy. My guys go in the toklat valena boots. For everything. I've schooled cross country in them in HOT weather and the legs were barely warm; we've gone through water jumps and they do not slip and are barely damp as the water runs right through the boots. The best part is I can throw the suckers in the washing machine and they come out looking brand new!

For serious cross country schooling (i.e. off property or competition) I have N.E.W. boots that have the tendon strike guards/cannon guards built in front and back - but still a super soft and fleecy inside that keeps the sand/dirt/grit out and my horses legs nice and cool.

I typically wrap my guy. First off it, guarantees that I get a good look at his legs before each ride. 2nd, I don't think they catch on each other (like some open fronts do), and third I can just throw them in the wash. That said, I do use woof boots for xc schooling, and I am looking into a pair of eskadrons for jumping. Woof boots are very breathable and dont hold water, and that is why I wouldn't use eskadron open fronts for xc, (can't comment on the eskadron xc boots).

I've used Woof boots (double lock are the only ones worth using imho) and DSB boots for years. My new favourite boot - People on Horses! Yes, the makers of fancy browbands! Their boots are real sheepskin lined - so breathable! AND - you can custom order the size if you have a horse who is big boned or fine boned or extra tall or extra small. No extra charge. They have fun colors, you can even order patent leather if you want. I have plain ol white, and just love them!

I love the DSB boots, but they aren't exceptionally durable. Dover makes a very nice fleece-lined boot that lasts better than the dsb and is a lot cheaper.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here I was happily using SMBs and BackOnTrack boots, ignorant of all the concerns.

Thanks to this thread I spent a fortune at Ecogold's website yesterday. Retaining heat is a big deal in Florida summers and I couldn't find much in the way of actual reviews.

I couldn't figure out the differences between the eventing and dressage boots so bought both, same with saddle pads. Shipping was VERY reasonable. I'm looking forward to seeing all these items in person.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

The dover fleece boots are cheap, easy, and dont get too hot. I hate SMBs as they hold water, heat, and sand. I feel they do more harm than good. Woof neoprene work for me as well and honestly I use them a lot and never had an issue with heat even in the FL summers.

AllWeatherGal the ecogold products are awesome. I love them especially thier pads. Hope you enjoy.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Interesting. I use Eskadron ankle boots on the hinds and I swear sometimes my mare catches the edge.

I was thinking of trying the Equifit but it's a lot of $$$ for an experiment. Anyone familiar with those?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I use the Ventech SMBs with success on my 25+ year old (and riding sound) retired show horse.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I think High profile boots add to striking surface because they intrude more into the air space between the horse's legs. I experimented with a horse I had in training. He pulverized several pairs of heavily padded boots for "hard strikers". We put a pair of lower profile boots (woof boots) on him, and they were NOT pulverized...they lasted so long that the velcro wore out before the rest of the boot did. Much fewer scuff marks, etc..just food for thought.