The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for Polite Trail Horse in Mid-Atlantic Area

Have recovered from my double knee replacement, but don't want to fall off... Looking for a smaller (15-16H) quiet trail horse who ideally would not mind some dressage as well. Age and manageable soundness issues okay. In NJ, but will gladly travel for right horse. Vet and farrier references available. Very experienced home in Central NJ.

A friend of mine runs a TB rescue and is desperately looking for someone for a gelding she has. 10-yrs old, 15.1h, she says he'd make a great trail horse. He's located in Unionville, PA, she is down in Ocala and wants to find a home because she's not here to ride him. Free to a good approved home. He's listed on her website here - http://www.doublerocktbrescue.com/available-horses.htm, first one on the list "Tomtomjim" (no longer a stud, was gelded a few weeks ago).
    i should have been a pair of ragged claws,
    scuttling across the floors of silent seas

Thanks - I'll give her a call.

You could give Saddlebred Rescue a call. They are in Hardwick/Blairstown NJ. I am super impressed with their rescue, their horses receive excellent vetrinary care and they are evaluated by trainers and ridden regularly. I don't know about their adoption fees, but I think their adoption agreements are not as onerous as others.

They have a beautiful 16 h dark bay mare that is experienced in trail rides (apparently week long trail rides!). You can find pictures, videos, and other info here http://forum.saddlebredrescue.com/to...?TOPIC_ID=3974

More info on the rescue is here www.saddlebredrescue.com

Good luck!

Thanks. I do plan to do some dressage with him (or her), so need one that is okay in the arena as well. Now that my kids are gone, I need to keep the ring dragged for SOMEONE!

Default A Polite Trail Horse Classically Trained Looking for a Home

I have a delightful, kind, small Appendix Quarterhorse mare (14'3"), with smooth gaits. While a "hony", she is sturdy. She carries me safely and I am 5'7" and almost 200#. She is classically trained, performs well in dressage clinics, and used predominantly as a field hunter by my nieces. She is now 15 and recently diagnosed with manageable kissing spine syndrome (pain free with BL Pellets). She is trail ridden on the average twice a week now in the winter.

My goal is to find her a nice solid home where she will be well cared for, can enjoy nice walks in the woods, arena work, etc. She deserves to be the primary horse as my nieces have moved on to other horses.

We are located near Baltimore Maryland.

Wishes, Amy

Hi, Amy. Check your Private Messages (PMs). Thanks -