The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Monoflap Jump saddles ... suggestions?

I've ridden in a few monoflaps and really liked them...

I love the Schleese XC Eagle but since I just bought a new horse I can't see spending that much ( esp since I need to get two new saddles... as my old saddles fit my ROUND morgan and will NOT fit this TbX.)

I need something adjustable as this little man is probably going to change a BUNCH in the next year. I know a Schleese rep can adjust Passier saddles.( we have a rep at the barn every few months) Anyone own or tired the Military 2?

I loved an Antares that I rode in but dont know much about the brand.

Def looking for a used saddle...and i HAVE to have a forward flap because I've got long legs ( actually just my thighs)

Suggestions??

Antares was started by a few people who left Devocoux. Their saddles are very similar in balance and looks. Foam flocked and as far as I know, the trees are not easily adjustable, so not a great option for a changing or hard to fit horse. Any fit adjustments would need to be made via pads & shims.

I have a 2AA (standard length, extra forward) flap on my Antares monoflap with an 18.5" saddle that works well for my very long legs (I'm 6'). I believe both Devocoux and Antares offer up to AAA as an option for flap forwardness on a 1-4 (short through extra long) flap length. Very difficult to find AA or AAA used though (I shopped for 9 months to find mine used).
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.

I have ridden for years in a Passier military 2 and just bought a voltaire.. I am a huge fan of the military and almost nervous at the prospect of riding in something else! Lol. I do find though the military is not a particularly soft saddle, it can be quite old fashioned and hard - but it's worth the
    Pain!

There have been a lot of threads about this. In general, there are the French Voltaire, Devoucoux, Antares and CWD. Wise-Air is patterened after the Devoucoux and I love mine. Presitige does one, but it is more geared to show jumping. Bliss and their second brand Loxley come in a monoflap as do the Legado and Black Country Vinici. Deltawave is going custom British, I believe Heritage. Lower price point, but I am much less impressed is the Toulouse. You need to figure out what fits you and your horse. The Wise comes with changeable gullets or in an adjustable tree version
    Last edited by scubed; Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I'm toying with selling my black country vinici monoflap jump saddle. It's gorgeous and I love it, but.... Fleck changed shape and it's not fitting either of us as well. It's a 17.5" seat with a medium tree. Let me know if you're interested in trying it.

Has anyone ever seen a Jorge Canaves Cross? I saw one once on ebay that CWD had on consignment. It had an adjustable tree ( not as adjustable as a schleese but still had some give )and was wool flocked. I've only seen it once and it was an 18 in seat ( much to large for me) I looked up their catalog but no prices are listed. It sold in 5 hours so I'm assuming its a rare and nice saddle...

I really want to try to avoid foam flocking as this tbx is going to be a hard fit. I'm not sure why but I wasnt impressed when I sat in and talked to the Devoucoux rep at a show. I know they're nice saddles and half the sport rides in them but just didnt float my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzy18 View Post
    I have ridden for years in a Passier military 2 and just bought a voltaire.. I am a huge fan of the military and almost nervous at the prospect of riding in something else! Lol. I do find though the military is not a particularly soft saddle, it can be quite old fashioned and hard - but it's worth the
    Pain!
    If you're interested in selling the Passier, I've been looking for one for years

1 members found this post helpful.

The Devoucouxs have gotten some bad raps on this forum, but I love riding in mine (Chiberta). Problem is, because they're foam, getting one that fits your horse. Mine fit 2 previous horses fine, but not the one I have (and am keeping) now. I think they are very well balanced and I keep my position better in it than my previous jump saddles.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I've got a Stackhouse monoflap jump and absolutely LOVE it! I've sat in almost every brand of saddle and nothing compares. Never felt so securely rock solid in the tack (especially jumping) but the saddle also makes me feel "close" to my horse (ie, my horse moves off my seatbones with the lightest shift of my weight). Talk to David and Lesley--they are lovely to work with and very honest about what they can do for you.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Space age- most of my barn rides in them! Couldn't recommend them enough, I will PM you

I have the Custom Saddlery Monte Carlo Monoflap.

I love it.

Yes, it is damn expensive.

But, it is adjustable by a Custom Rep, it puts my leg in the exact right position, and it fits my horse beautifully. I considered other saddles as options, but after much hemming, decided to find a way to buy the Monte Carlo. I never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    If you're interested in selling the Passier, I've been looking for one for years
    While browsing Google about this saddle I found this place that has one: http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/used-saddles Very bottom of the list.

You can still purchase the Passier Miitary 2 as new.
    http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/for-the-...-ii-event.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzy18 View Post
    Pain!

GRR.. i was looking at the one on BAHR...

I must say that I get behind the Passier Miltary.... My hubby gave me one for Christmas and I must say that I am impressed. I have owned Passier's for many years and there in nothing like them. I have even spoken to reps from companies such as Beval and CWD and all of them tell me to never sell it.... Passier is a wonderful company. My Passier Comet is over 15 years old, and it still rides like a dream.... I will full admit that my Passier's have kept me on the horse so many times when I should have eaten dust. They are a great saddle.

my concern is the 18 in seat ... it only comes in an 18 in.. is it more like a 17.5 or is it a true 18? I've found a few for sale within my price range. i also read that its available in the normal seat but you can order it in a soft seat.

I would definitely suggest a test ride or seeing the saddle in person to alleviate concerns over the seat size - I was very skeptical as I would not normally ride in an 18" seat but was very comfortable and secure in the Military. I'm not sure what the thinking behind only offering it in one size is? Anyways like any saddle you just have to try it you will know right away whether you love it or hate it! If anyone is interested I also know a few available used. Bahrs is super to deal with, highly recommend them.

Custom Saddlery Fleur de Lys. Yes, expensive, but LOVE it. Replaced my Albion Kontrol which does not fit the new horse and was my favorite saddle ever until the Fleur. Very adjustable and fittable by Custom Rep.

Default Devoucoux Chiberta!

I would recommend a Devoucoux Chiberta. I LOVE these saddles and I LOVE this company.

I have never had a problem with the saddles fitting my horses. I have ridden multiple types ranging from a 3yo dutch/tb, to a 17hand Can sport horse, to a tb mare. Horses that are drastically different in build will need a different fit - as they would with any saddle.

The company's customer service is brilliant. The reps are fantastic. The equipment and quality are incredible. When they are fitted right, you don't notice the saddle is there - you can just ride, and ride well.

I would strongly encourage you to try them. Nothing to lose.

I had been extremely skeptical of the fuss over the Chibertas. Chalked it up to the same hubbub and fashion-influenced drive that had folks going to their first BN in a 5 point breastplate. I swore up and down that I would continue in the same Stackhouse event saddle I had done more than 30 preliminaries in over the past 8 years.

Then I sat in the Chiberta. And by sat in, I mean locked my leg into place, rock-solid, didn't move, perfect balance, horse jumped out of his skin, best ride of my life. Took it to a little event the next weekend, same thing both SJ and XC. Seriously life-changing. And my Christmas present to myself, after much hemming and hawing and oh-my-goodnessing, was to order one. We'll see what I think after it shows up, but I really liked working with the rep, and I at least have confident assertions that it will fit both the old man and the now-5-year old.

There are a number of them used out there, depending on what fits you. My leg is fairly ridiculously long knee to hip which makes sizing hard, and I wanted the new tree, but there are definitely used ones available in a variety of sizes/shapes.

1 members found this post helpful.