The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Short ribs braised in red wine with mushrooms/onions/garlic.
    Mashed potatoes, carrots and roasted Brussels sprouts.
    Fresh baked rolls.

It is clear, sunny, breezy and cold here (first totally clear and sunny day since October...I'm not kidding...there is a down side to Washington!). Fire in the wood stove, house smells amazing and I have two more vacation days left!!
    '

Sittin' pretty, CC!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    BBQ Cheddar & Bacon chicken breasts with roasted garlic potatoes.
    M'k, must share this recipe-please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I vote for the the reds & yellows. The little green French lentils are too good to use in soup. I'd save those for a non-soup dish of their own, or for a salad.
    Thanks, Bacardi. I have saved the De Puys for something special, but haven't found anything yet. Happy for suggestions!

Had an excellent dinner cooked by my SO's 14 y.o. daughter!!! Poached salmon with mushrooms / onions and baked potatoes. What I loved besides it tasting wonderful, it I didn't have to do anything but enjoy it!!!

Mostly pantry staples so nothing fancy... I just made this one up on the fly but it was pretty tasty!

Pork rump roast (bone in) was on sale at Giant a few days ago so I had one hanging out in the fridge. Browned it in my cast iron skillet with a few shakes of salt, pepper, and Hungarian paprika, then into the crock pot with a roughly chopped onion, a few glugs of apple cider, splash of cider vinegar, a few shakes of worchestshire sauce, some fresh thyme and more s&p. I put a few quartered red potatoes on top (whatever fit) and cooked that puppy on high until the meat started falling off the bone. Served over mashed potatoes and haricots verts on the side...yum!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Just got home from work and about all I have the energy to handle making is a bologna sandwich. I don't even think I have it in me to handle something more cold weather-appropriate like grilled cheese and tomato soup, I'd probably burn the house down falling asleep waiting for it to cook.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Mostly pantry staples so nothing fancy... I just made this one up on the fly but it was pretty tasty!

Pork rump roast (bone in) was on sale at Giant a few days ago so I had one hanging out in the fridge. Browned it in my cast iron skillet with a few shakes of salt, pepper, and Hungarian paprika, then into the crock pot with a roughly chopped onion, a few glugs of apple cider, splash of cider vinegar, a few shakes of worchestshire sauce, some fresh thyme and more s&p. I put a few quartered red potatoes on top (whatever fit) and cooked that puppy on high until the meat started falling off the bone. Served over mashed potatoes and haricots verts on the side...yum!!
    Sounds yum

Sigh, read all those yummie meals and ate my van of campbells baked potato soupp.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    M'k, must share this recipe-please!
    Chicken breasts with BBQ sauce, baked then more sauce, cut up bacon and cheddar for a few more minutes. Nothing too exciting.

Teh potatoes are a recipe I found on pinterest - peel & halve potatoes, place in baking dish. Take chicken broth, add minced fresh garlic and microwave for a minute, then pour 1" deep around potatoes. Salt, pepper and add a slice of butter on top of each potato. Bake 35-45 minutes.

ETA - here is the link to the potatoes.
    Last edited by Hunter Mom; Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Sounds good, huntermom!
    Scalloped apples, anyone? This easy peasy recipe totally rocks as a side dish or as dessert. I make it at least once a week with whatever apples I feel like buying. You can sub brown sugar or Splenda or even maple syrup or honey for the sugar.

Scalloped Apples

10 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 tablespoons butter, cubed
    Directions
    Place apples in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Dot with butter. Cover and microwave on high for 11-12 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring every 5 minutes.

Yield: 8 servings.
    Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
    Nutritional Analysis:
    One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with artificial sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar and reduced-fat margarine) equals 116 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    snbess, for you.

BBQ Eggplant and Lentils Recipe

1 c. dried lentils
    2 cups water
    1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs)
    1/2 cup flour (white or whole wheat)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup oil
    2 cups tomato puree (I use a large can of crushed tomatoes)
    2 T cider vingear
    2 T soy sauce
    1 1/2 tsp honey
    2 tsp. chili powder
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce or to taste

Combine lentil and water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Cut eggplant into 1" cubes, combine flour and salt and toss with eggplant (paper bag or ziploc comes in handy here)

Heat oil in large skillet (I use a large pot) and cook about 10 minutes, turning to brown. Add all the other ingredients except the lentils, bring to a gentle boil, cover and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes while waiting for the lentils.

Stir in lentils, replace cover and continue to cook at least another 30 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary. Keep at a simmer...don't let all the liquid boil away.

Serve over brown rice. It's great the second and third day too.
    Thanks, Laura! That sounds fabulous!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is for tomorrow, but most of it is already made.

Stewed tomatoes and okra, turnip greens, blackeyed peas, cornbread from scratch using bacon grease, and ham steak. I simply cannot bring myself to eat hog jowl.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

New Mexico Lime and Black Bean Spaghetti Squash. Topped with avocado, salsa, jalapenos, and some tortilla chips.

Chicken and ribeyes off the grill. Baked potatoes and mixed veggies with a yeast roll. Yum....
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is my new favorite soup. Super easy to make. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cheddar-Ham-Soup
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Another cold, snowy, stay-at-home day in Western NY. The Christmas decorations are down. I just finished a batch of Glögg (home made Swedish liquor traditional to St. Lucia Day and Christmas in general). We take our Glogg seriously in these parts. There are even contests.

Now, on to the double batch of Lasagna!

Wow! You're a lot prompter than I am (or anyone else around our neighborhood) re: Xmas decorations. After putting literally between 80 & 100 baubles on our 9-1/2-foot fir, not to mention all the pine & cedar garlands & tiny white lights on the wrap-around deck railing, I'm in no hurry. We'll be enjoying these babies for another 2 weeks before I drag all the storage containers out again.

As for dinner - today is our annual traditional "French Cassoulet". I soaked my Cannellini beans overnight & am just about to start cooking them (Step 1 of the cassoulet process).

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    New Mexico Lime and Black Bean Spaghetti Squash. Topped with avocado, salsa, jalapenos, and some tortilla chips.
    Sounds meat free...recipe please?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Somebody help me now, I am cooking for the first time in about 5 years for dinner guests. Prime Rib roast, with all the traditional stuff. I live alone I dont often cook lots, I hope it turns out allright...
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

New Year's tradition ---- Pork and sauerkraut! (I am a transplanted Yankee.)