The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Venison from the 8 pointer DH got this year. I've been cooking it in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce since about 8 this morning! Pairing it with homemade cornbread, green beans, and mashed 'taters. Can't WAIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Having people over, so have a big crock pot of chile going. Also have some sourdough rolls and mexican shredded cheese, and guests may bring cornbread and dessert. For appetizers, olives, sweet pickles, chestnuts. To drink, wine, Ghost River Beer, sparkling cider, milk, cocoa, whatever anybody wants. Temp in the 30's with weak sun. This is my end of year house cleaning, so no riding until tomorrow, if it gets into the 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Well, I'm actually planning on dinner about 2 PM so the cooking doesn't interfere with doing the horses and possibly having to get my tractor and snowblower out later as well.

So I'm doing a lovely leg of lamb, green beans and a salad. A couple pieces of Bliss chocolate for dessert.
    Ooooh - Leg of Lamb. I'm envious!! Haven't had that for decades now - not since my dear mother made it way back when. Hubby isn't a red-meat eater, so while I do make myself lamb chops, curries, & ground lamb burgers occasionally, making a roast leg of lamb for just myself isn't really feasible. Enjoy - I bet it'll be scrumptious.

It's 25 degrees here with lots of wind and freezing, with 5" of snow on the ground.

We're having pork loin with pinapple and the obligatory mixed greens salad. And maybe artichokes if the pressure cooker isn't "taken" by the meal we're going to prepare for tomorrow night.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quesadilla Casserole -- decided on something easy as I'm house/pet sitting and one of the pups has been pretty sick so I've spent a lot of time just hanging out with him and watching bowel movements....poor little guy.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Default Corn chowder

I have a great recipe I have posted on other threads. It is pretty simple. I am cooking the potatoes now. Served with a spinich salad, with basalmic dressing, yum yum.
    Does anyone else remember when thy asked that on the old Hee Haw and they would give some good ol country meal, and they would all say yum, yum?
    Gad, I'm getting old!
    Another killer of threads

2 members found this post helpful.

I should have taken that ham bone out of the freezer!

I'm on an anti-cooking kick at the moment (got to the point where I could not cope with my fridge due to left over Christmas ingredients) and so we are having left over pot roast from the freezer. Which leaves me just one "leftover meal" in the freezer so NY'sD I'm doing a lasagna marathon. Because I've found that you can make two lasagnas for about the same effort that it takes to make just one.

However, my little sis is coming over in a bit and I have black beans I grew in the garden this year simmering right now. I am going to make us black beans and rice while we fill out invitations for her baby shower.

Burgundy Beef Stew with Dumplings tonight. Crockpot dinner.

Not sure when the hubby and kids will make it back from MI so wanted something I could keep warm and serve as needed.

Smells great.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Roasted Root Vegetable Soup and homemade croutons! And, yes, we're in Florida, but it is C-O-L-D and windy here today. My poor horses still have on their sheets and blankets.

You folks that are used to real cold would probably break out the shorts here today!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sounds like that would go great with some rolls. Nom nom nom.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Holy smokes, theres some super fabulous meal ideas on this thread. Ive got visions of you northern folk with your meals cooking away (isnt it funny how many crockpots are working today?), houses smelling yummy, maybe a toasty fire in the fireplace. Works in my head, anyway. Im ignoring the frozen fingers, ice in buckets, snorty horses running you over visions.

Roasted chicken, rice, gravy, butterbeans, and biscuits.

Venison stew in the crock pot! (Actually I made it yesterday; we'll be eating it for the next couple of days, which is quite fine with me! Perfect weather for it...)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I also started to make soup for the week's lunch for the 2 of us. I bought a pkg of Bob's Red Mill Veggie Soup mix-its all peas, beans, and lentils. Added beef stock, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, leftover baby spinach, some frozen kale, a can of tomatoes, a can of Spicy V8, leftover Chinese food rice, and some chorizo links I found buried at the bottom of my freezer. Its now a vast cauldronful - about 3 gallons worth of yum. The soup that just kept growing and growing. I love that about soup!

Ooh! I think I have some frozen corn leftovers-
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I'm cooking up some pinto beans with a can of diced tomatoes with "zesty chilies." I'm hoping they're zesty enough to make me feel warmer with the cool wind blowing outside!

We are having sweet and sour meatloaf, oven roasted potatoes with garlic and oregano, either corn or carrots. Not terribly cold here, about 28F, damp feeling, and we have about 8" snow on the ground....did I tell you how much I hate slogging through the snow? Hubby needs to get the snowblower on the tractor and clear me a better path to the barn. I guess I really shouldn't complain though. This is the first snowfall of the year, and spring is only three months away.

I made chicken stew today. I forgot to buy celery, so used kale instead, and it was so much better flavored than usual. Chicken breast chunks, large onion, carrots, boullion cube and roux to thicken. Hard rolls on the side. Perfect for the lower 20s day we are having.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

If we'd ever have a COTH potluck get together, we'd be living it up!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

3 members found this post helpful.

Cool

Fresh crab, caesar salad and cheesy garlic bread.

Some of your dinner options are sounding pretty damn good! You lucky venison eaters are making me jealous! love love love venison! I used to get a bunch from a friend of mine until she divorced her husband! Crap!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

2 members found this post helpful.

23 degrees here, so it's potato cheese soup and biscuits for me, plus a brownie for dessert.