The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default It's Sunday, it's cold outside, whats for dinner?

I know I wont get much sympathy being in Florida, but its freakin cold today. Only 40 degrees. Critters are fed, and Im staying in for the day. Great day for comfort food. Im fixing ham and potato soup in the crock pot. I have a loaf of rye pumperknickel in the freezer, so that will work perfect. Mmmm....

What are you fixin?

I have a corned beef brisket simmering on the stove for reuben sandwiches, fresh rye and Amish swiss cheese, homemade jalapeno pepper poppers for an appetizer, and am thinking about making Paula Deen's recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Going for a quick ride on new trial horse but hoping it will warm up a bit first, from 22 to 28 degrees.

Ice was thick this morning, but we are between cold fronts, supposed to snow tomorrow.
    Other than out in the wind, we are not that cold.

Horses were playing running around this morning, glad I was not on them, they were really turning it on.

I will have two smaller tomatoes, one cucumber, black eyed peas, green olives and italian dressing for dinner, oatmeal for supper, water to drink.

For any snacking, green and black grapes and a handful of pine nuts, that the dog goes nuts over.

Montana and 25 deg today... Loaded baked potato soup. Yum.

1 members found this post helpful.

Buffalo chicken meatloaf and arugula salad. Cold here also with 5 inches of pretty snow. Above 5 inches and it turns ugly.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

For lunch I'll be having a toasted Ezekiel English Muffin with Olivio Coconut spread. On top of that I'll put some salmon, mixed with a little lemon juice, warmed slightly in the microwave. For supper I'm making a big salad with baby spinach, tomatoes, baby carrots and lots of mushrooms. With that, I'll be having a strawberry protein shake, made with unsweetened almond milk. For dessert, I'm having black cherry greek yogurt. My snack tonight will be air popped popcorn, lots and lots of it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I've got some leftover meatloaf, but I usually do a Sunday night dinner at my parents. I will never be too old for Sunday night dinner if my mom is cooking! I made some really yummy banana bread yesterday, so that will suffice if I don't go anywhere.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Vegetarian BBQ Eggplant and Lentils.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm pregnant and have been craving wings, so we'll probably build a fire and have those for dinner - But for breakfast, awesome hubby made me dark chocolate scones & dunkin donuts gingerbread coffee - YUM!
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I prepared a batch of homemade French onion soup last night that will last for a couple of dinners.

That's my comfort food for cold weather.

Next round of freezing temps, I may whip up a batch of beef chili.

At least the sun is out today but more snow predicted for Monday into Tuesday.

Hopefully that'll keep some of the local rednecks from shooting off their guns to celebrate the New Year.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Pot roast -- long slow house warming with lots of roasted vegetables.

Horses are getting bake shop animal feed bread -- I sure can't eat the calories in 4-5 loaves of bread a piece but they can and they can use it today - rather brisk it is!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I think I'll be having some leftover veggie & potato soup with toast for dinner, accompanied by a large glass of gingerale to combat this nausea. I hate being sick.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

It's 23 degrees in Columbus, OH...real feel says its like 11 degrees outside. I have homemade Banana Bread in the oven, last nights dinner was crock pot baby back ribs and they were AMAZING!! Tonight I think it's steak and sweet potatoes. It sucks being on a diet because I can only eat small portions of all this great food I'm making!

Making a big batch of home made green chile.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

It was -8 last night, French onion soup would have been amazing. I have a couple of Pecorino Romano rinds in the fridge, so I may do potato soup. Of course, beef stroganoff is a great crockpot recipe and one of DH's fave cold weather foods!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My husband loves the infamous "Green Bean Casserole". (And before anyone screams YUCK!, I make my own heavily "tweaked" version that is delicious - lol!)

Anyway, for whatever reason it didn't make an appearance at Thanksgiving, & we were running late on Xmas Day, so it didn't make an appearance then either. So tonight I'm making it, but adding in a large amount of leftover roast turkey meat I have in the freezer. So this time it'll be a "Turkey Green Bean Casserole". Green salad & warm baguette on the side.

For the household meat eaters: a turkey pot pie in the oven.
    For the veggie crowd: veggie chili in the crock.

Risotto made with dried porcini mushrooms, buttom mushrooms, onion, butternut squash, and a mix of mussels, shrimp and squid; seasoned with white wine and pecorino romano.

A lettuce salad with walnut oil and lemon juice dressing. Soft goat cheese on the side.

Glass of local dry riesling.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Sunday dinner

Well, I'm actually planning on dinner about 2 PM so the cooking doesn't interfere with doing the horses and possibly having to get my tractor and snowblower out later as well.

So I'm doing a lovely leg of lamb, green beans and a salad. A couple pieces of Bliss chocolate for dessert.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Vegetarian BBQ Eggplant and Lentils.
    Could I get this recipe?

Here, it's going to be leftover romaine salad with roasted butternut squash, craisins and pine nuts. Dressing is homemade chipotle ranch. For dinner, probably lentil barley soup from yesterday.