The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This is Why You Triple Check Horse Gates - Three Horses Killed On I-280 in CA

No graphic images in article. A hard lesson learned.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_222800...ce=most_viewed
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

we had to put combination padlocks on the gates since the horses learned to open the clasp locks

Just saw that on the news here, so sad.

That's so sad.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I think sometimes we wrongly assume that if by some chance any of our horses do get out they will stick around the barn and the other contained horses. My experience tells me otherwise. While I do think 1 loose horse will tend to hang our at home, I've known several instances where horses (each time it was 3-4 horses) got loose and went away from home and in a short period of time. One group of horses was in their shoddily fenced pasture (stupid owner) at 5:30 pm and by 1:30am were 4.5 miles down the road where 2 of them were struck and killed. One of my friend's old prelim mare was one of the 2 that got killed. Luckily no person was injured but since that situation was likely preventable had the cheap owner repaired the fence, I sort of wanted to injure the new owner. >-(

Latch the gates as horseproof as you can. Check 'em twice and more. We even used to take old lead lines and tie them around post & gate w/a square knot when horses were in a particular pasture (that way we'd know that pasture actually had horses in it) - but gates are always locked, horses in there or not. Poor critters.

My freakin' nightmare, for all involved.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I think sometimes we wrongly assume that if by some chance any of our horses do get out they will stick around the barn and the other contained horses.
    Lots of people think that, and having seen a bunch of escapes I think it is generally true for one horse. If 4+ horses escape though they will often get into a race with each other and can cover significant ground before stopping to think.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Lots of people think that, and having seen a bunch of escapes I think it is generally true for one horse. If 4+ horses escape though they will often get into a race with each other and can cover significant ground before stopping to think.
    Ugh, so awful. The above is right, I found the same when my 2 escaped. They raced each other down our mercifully quiet road right up the driveway of another farm. With the fence in front of them and nowhere else to go they finally stopped and decided to graze but thank god no one hit them on the way. That was a HUGE inspiration to get our perimeter fence done and I always triple check the gates and stall doors. It doesn't necessarily take a car either - I triple check that the feed stall is always latched as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I think sometimes we wrongly assume that if by some chance any of our horses do get out they will stick around the barn and the other contained horses. .
    no we were afraid they would go out to find other horses and bring them here

We actually had one mare dump a rider out in the greenbelt... horse looked at rider on the ground, turn and trotted home... four miles... crossed several major highways, one divided highway.... with the police following her.

The police said she obeyed all the traffic laws, stopped looking both ways before stepping into the marked cross walks to cross the major highways then continued trotting home. They said she appeared to know were she was headed so they just kept traffic clear of her.

She trots up the driveway with two police cars following.

Her former rider was OK, just embarrassed to have taken a tumble

3 members found this post helpful.

Horses can go thru several fences in a panic, but any other time fences will hold them.
    Still, we don't have horses where they can get out of here, but behind more than one fence, just in case things like a gate down happen.

Now, once we had some trespassers we assume on 4 wheelers come thru and cut chains with locks and leave gates open behind them.
    Horses got out into the neighbors, thankfully, not out on the expressway.

We can't do but so much sometimes.

1 members found this post helpful.

It is quite a distance from the paddock to the entry gates. I can't imagine these horses would run that far / that direction on their own; and then make it onto the freeway? It'd have to be via the on-ramp - even at 4am, why? It's almost as if they were herded onto the freeway. So sad.

That's horrible

I actually walked away from an otherwise nice boarding/training facility because during all of my four visits to them, the front gate to a busy street was left WIDE open. It's just a huge safety hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonwillow View Post
    It is quite a distance from the paddock to the entry gates. I can't imagine these horses would run that far / that direction on their own; and then make it onto the freeway? It'd have to be via the on-ramp - even at 4am, why? It's almost as if they were herded onto the freeway. So sad.
    It is really sad. I too, wondered why they even left the property, since the area has so much grass coming in now, and the paddock is not exactly right by the road. I drove past the entrance to Webb Ranch earlier this evening, and I am still trying to fathom how they ended up where they did.

What makes it worse is the fact the entrance is usually closed off by a gate, but the gate had been damaged a few weeks ago and had not been replaced.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I saw that on the news last night, and yes, it seems weird. Webb and where the horses are and where they went doesn't make sense. If they were at the entrance, I would assume if they got out, they would head down the long drive to other horses, not go out the gate onto a road that is not very horse friendly or inviting for awhile, and then get on an on ramp and get on the freeway.

I agree something seems fishy.

This is so sad. Last night DH took me to look at a dump truck I have been eyeballing the last 2 weeks. Seller no showed, so I said lets just go home. Well I said its ok , and its getting dark. Well on the way home there was a loose horse on the main road. (not a highway but lots of traffic) We turned around, followed the horse till it ran up a drive to a residence that had horses. DH blocked driveway with his truck and we got out. By that time it was comming down the driveway headded for the road again, and I thought we have 1 chance to catch him.

Well luckily, as he ran towards us , we started talking easy, easy etc. he slowed, to a walk and let me grab his halter which I was thankful he had on. By then the home owner came out and after a brief discussion, He agreed to house the poor thing till the owner was found.

I said to DH see we were meant to be there then. Call the guy about the dump truck back we will try again tommarro.

We are super careful, here on our own farm, but have problems with hunters, 4 wheelers etc, cutting the fence leaving gates open, and cars hitting the front fence. One guy took out 100 foot of fence and never stopped to tell us or offer to pay for his damage. We dont use the front pasture due to this. We have posted our land, but people still trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    What makes it worse is the fact the entrance is usually closed off by a gate, but the gate had been damaged a few weeks ago and had not been replaced.
    I was wondering about how they got around the road gate, but still, it seems more likely that they went across the bridge to Racho Viejo, which has more easy access to the freeway, if the set-up is like it was 10 years ago. Still, if they were in the field where school horses used to be pastured, they did some random navigation, possibly traversing less-than-robust fencing.

Most of the boarders there are "pet" rather than "livestock" horse owners and it'll hit hard, even tho they "weren't humans."
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

When a group of horses gets loose there is no telling why they do what they do. We once had all of our yearlings get out and wander about 5 miles down the road. It was terrifying because we realized they were out before we ever got a call about where they could be so we were basically tracking them down the road. We found and caught them all, but it was scary.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

First year I was here a group of yearlings slipped their handlers and took off into the road. Not sure about the driver but a couple of the horses were killed on a dark foggy morning. My neighbor's donk and pony always go traveling, they go to visit other horses and the road is the clearest way to get there.

So sorry.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We had horses take a gate down - two QH geldings. The gate was taken down on a Friday. They were the only horses on the property, but there was tons to eat. They were discovered to be missing about 6PM Friday, and found the following day, later in the afternoon, several miles from home.

That's really sad. I boarded at a barn where, on several occasions, I arrived to find my horse in his paddock with the gate in the closed position, but not locked in any way. I sewed reflective strips onto his halter and turnout blanket, hoping to keep him safe in the event he got away. I guess people were going into the paddock through the gate and then ducking out under the fence, or vice versa? I don't know. But I flipped out about it numerous times while everyone else seemed to think I was over-reacting.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**