The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan for humans??

So, the horse I lease recently started on Adequan, and it seems to be helping him a LOT. (Knock on wood.) My husband suffers from pretty bad joint pain from an old injury/ surgery. I know he's had a cortisone injection, but that is not something that can happen over and over. So does anyone know why adequan is not marketed to people? I assume there might be a problem with it long term in humans? Our medical Dr. did not know about it.

Thanks, and please forgive any typos as I am using the phone!

There are joint injections that are used in knees and hips (Syn-Visc is one) and a product called Arteparon which I believe is very similar to Adequan is available for human use as well. I am not entirely sure why it isn't used more widely in humans, but certainly off-label use among some groups (bodybuilders, athletes) is huge and widespread.

In humans "joint pain" can be from a huge variety of things, only a fraction of which is actual osteoarthritis. In order to have success with products like these, I'd imagine the diagnosis would have to be very accurate and pertain to an actual synovial joint(s).
    Click here before you buy.

The FDA has not approved Adequan for use in humans. It is only approved for veterinary use. Here is its original approval letter.
    http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm054843.htm

I would never risk taking a medication not approved for humans. The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynanics and toxicity can be very different between an animal model and a human model. Believe me, if Luitpold could have gotten Adequan approved for a human indication, they would have done so by now. The human market it much bigger and more lucrative than the animal health market.
    Last edited by IronwoodFarm; Jan. 4, 2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: missing word
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

The human version is only available in Germany, near as I can tell. And even there I'm not sure how widely used it is. I also would not consider the products interchangeable without having looked very, very closely at the production, dosing, and manufacturing details.

ETA that it appears the top ad banner on COTH has now gotten into that FB-creepy-stalker thing. Because I just saw an ad (??) for Syn-Visc up there!

Several years ago my vet and his assistant told me this story. Neither of them was a spring chicken and both had aches and pains, so they decided that it might be a good idea to try an Adequan injection on themselves. Almost as an afterthought, they decided to do a test before doing the full blown injection. The test was fine on the vet but caused a serious reaction at the location of the injection on the assistant. They were sure if they had given the full, appropriate (?) amount for the size of the asssitant, that it would have landed him in the hospital.

Based on this, I don't think Adequan injections for humans is a good idea.
    Last edited by oam; Jan. 2, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

The "test dose" was probably about what the typical human dose is (0.5cc). The dosage strength and formulation appears to be the same between the equine and human product, near as I can tell.

An adverse reaction can happen with ANY drug. "Aches and pains" can mean a lot of things, only a fraction of which might respond to a product like adequan/arteparon.

If you google adequan and body building you will find plenty of discussion of dosage and protocol for off-label use in humans. I went to a presentation by the manufacturer last year and they did explain why it is not labeled for humans in the US, but the details are not in my notes. It takes 2 years and 70 steps of purification to go from bovine trachia to Adequan, and the process is not patented, therefore all the steps are not disclosed. This may be the stickler for FDA approval? In any case, it's why there is no generic equivalent to Adequan because there is no exact patented protocol that has been registered, expired, and copied.

From the Q&A discussion after the presentation, it seemed pretty likely that there were vets in the room who are happily using it on themselves with good results, though they weren't about to state that outright or give dosage advice...though if you found dosage advise on body-building forums that's your business....
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

All I have heard is that the dosage for humans is .5 cc, with the loading dose recommendations being the same as for horses. i haven't used it, of course. I am way to chicken to inject myself with a drug prescribed for my horse.