The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Uses for Old Turnout Blankets?

So my horse comes up to the gate yesterday with his blanket in shreds. It is beyond repair, trust me. I can't really complain though, since it was over 10 years old (yay, Riders brand from Dover!).

My question: that seems like too much fabric to simply toss in the garbage. I thought I'd remove the hardware and either keep it as spares or recycle it (some of it got very bent).

I do have a sewing machine, but I hesitate to try re-making it into something else (like dog beds) because of the stink factor.

Any creative ideas? I hate to just toss it.

Many thanks!

I donate my damaged blankets to the woman who does blanket repair in my area. If they can be saved, she'll repair them & donate to a rescue. Blankets that are beyond repair become "organ donars," she can cut patches, salvage hardware & straps and such from the remains.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Mia. I'm not aware of a specific blanket repair person in my neck of the woods, but I'll ask around. I also thought about seeing if my local shoe repair place would want the hardware.

I think you are right on track--save the hardware and some of the fabric for future blanket repairs, or make a dog bed, if you can get the blanket clean enough. I'll lay old horse blankets over a pile of hay or straw in the barn to make a cozy bed for the dogs.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have made them in to quarter sheets.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Most animal rescues have blankets on their wish list. Take off hardware & bring down to local kitty/dog shelter.

I donate all my old and battered blankets and saddle pads to our local shelter, they make great dog and kitty beds!

Quote Originally Posted by Druid Acres View Post
    My question: that seems like too much fabric to simply toss in the garbage. I thought I'd remove the hardware and either keep it as spares or recycle it (some of it got very bent).
    I would keep it to use the hardware when needed and the fabric for patching!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue