The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Internet VPN recommendations

Any one here have one? Regularly use one?

Which one would you recommend? I'm thinking of installing one. I know you have to pay for decent service but it would be worth it.

In particular does anyone here have Hide My Ass? Is it hard to learn to use?
    Last edited by vineyridge; Dec. 31, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Why do you think you need it?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I guess it depends on what it's for and how many users you need. I like the Barracuda appliances and am familiar with them. But that doesn't make sense for a single user.

Windows has VPN. Cisco has VPN. You can also buy some options like "GoToMyPC" which work okayish.

What are your needs/challenges?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I used Cisco VPN for work, but don't see why a single user would use any sort of VPN service. Why do you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I used Cisco VPN for work, but don't see why a single user would use any sort of VPN service. Why do you need it?
    These services encrypt all the traffic that they send over the internet. So you connect to the internet through them. Plus a user gets an IP address that has no relation to where they are. The ones that I'm looking at have servers all over the world and can assign IP addresses that allow access to content that is limited to IPs in the same nation. So one could watch the BBC, or any of the European show jumping or racing or whatever that is being streamed nationally. For instance, one could watch the French 4* event on the free French channel.

So it's added content and security that is the object. For me, it's mostly the added content that would come with one of the big commercial internet VPNs.

Ex-Pat Shield was used a lot during the Olympics to watch on the BBC, but it's limited to the UK.

Oh, you're looking to join an existing VPN network, not create your own. I misunderstood the question

I can tell you that our Cisco VPN into the company network would only work over a good high speed network. It got quite cranky if the connection wasn't great. Not sure if they're all like that, or how that might impact you.

I just went ahead and signed up for HideMyAss. It's British based and seems to be the biggest one. Plus they have a special that ends tonight that makes it cost about $5 per month if you sign up for a year. Definitely worth it to have access to the BBC and French TV and CBC.

A bit late to the party, but I bought a couple of months with Hidemyass for the summer olympics and it worked flawlessly and painlessly. We don't have cable and had no way to buy the NBC olympic streaming, and as a plus, the BBC feed was so much better to watch. I'd still have it, but frankly we don't watch much TV, so no real need.

I have a VPN connection through Strong. I enjoy watching Netflix from both Canada and the US

My husband is happy with HideMyAss as well...he seems to think it's the best option out there.