The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    tele relay service, etc.
    Okay, for the freaking LIFE of me, I can't figure out why anyone would have a problem with deaf folks having access to communication devices. I admit. This has me totally, absolutely stumped. I just asked Husband, since he has been known to listen to the radical right talk radio when he thinks nobody can hear it, and even he is stumped.

Nor can I help you with the "etc.". That seems to be fairly vague.
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

Personally, I'd like very much not to be paying to support our military commitments against fabricated "enemies" in 130 countries; the sinkhole in Afghanistan, or for that matter foreign aid and arms sales to the current banana-mango regimes that our sons and daughters will be fighting a generation from now. I'd happily sit here and let all of SandLand sink back into the Third World.

But I'm still paying my taxes, because I'm an American. There's stuff we all have to put up with, son . . .

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Okay, for the freaking LIFE of me, I can't figure out why anyone would have a problem with deaf folks having access to communication devices. I admit. This has me totally, absolutely stumped. I just asked Husband, since he has been known to listen to the radical right talk radio when he thinks nobody can hear it, and even he is stumped.

Sheilah
    i don't think it is a matter of 'having a problem with it'-it is more a matter of 'not the role of government.'

Actually private organizations would likely do a better job...

1 members found this post helpful.

IdahoRider, Stolen Virtue. Your responses are disrespectful and only deserve to be ignored. But since I've had 25 years of experience moving horse manure, I am inured to your unpleasant forum emissions... and will respond for the edification of other forum readers.

I object to being forced to purchase E10 or ethanol for these reasons.
    Ethanol is hydroscopic. Water is bad for engines & equipment
    Ethanol has been known to break down engine seals, dissolve fiberglass gas tanks in boats and destroy plastics. I have several small and/or old engines on the farm. I have experienced these issues.
    Ethanol is less energy than gasoline. Everybody's mileage suffers as a result. The mandated corn sourced ethanol is distorting the corn market. Gov't regulations also mandate cellulosic ethanol. Too bad that's not working out..

see here > http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/26/e...gain-for-2012/

Read more: Problems With Small Engines Using Gas With Ethanol | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7632323_pro...#ixzz2GmcFQR7N

Obamaphone is my pejorative for gov't supplied cell phone service.

Read your own link for accuracy...

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    But your OK with subsidizing oil companies, just as an example?
    And just how are oil companies subsidized different than any other business?

Just as an aside ... who makes more money from gasoline. The oil companies or gov't?

Not a simple answer, but I'd say the gov't has an edge in this article
    http://factcheck.org/2008/04/gasoline-tax-profits/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post

Sheilah
    LOL!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Obamaphone is my pejorative for gov't supplied cell phone service.

Read your own link for accuracy...
    The examples on that link are examples of the "urban legend" of the Obamaphone. You need to scroll down and read the part with the actual facts.

And just how are oil companies subsidized different than any other business?

Just as an aside ... who makes more money from gasoline. The oil companies or gov't?

Not a simple answer, but I'd say the gov't has an edge in this article
    http://factcheck.org/2008/04/gasoline-tax-profits/
    Good lord, I rest my case with this poster....

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    The examples on that link are examples of the "urban legend" of the Obamaphone. You need to scroll down and read the part with the actual facts.
    No ...don't hide the fact. you read the link. Does the gov't supply cell phones & service to people or not ? simple answer ... yes it does.. No urban legend.

I am saddened to see so many people I typically respect and enjoy reading opinions from, attacking my belief in a higher power - in my case, the triune God.

I may have strong convictions of my beliefs, but I would never demean anyone for thinking differently than I do. So far, it appears that saying unkind things about a person's beliefs is just acceptable at large. So very sad. I do not agree with many religious beliefs, but I would never try and belittle a person's beliefs - ever. It's just cruel and unnecessary.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Good lord, I rest my case with this poster....
    Thanks ... Your case is proved lacking. Now go away ...

Why do you think it's so ridiculous??? Seriously half the election was based on keeping women's rights. On who NOT to vote for instead of who was best for the job. Sorry I don't think it's all that ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

What about not playing hide the salami if you can't afford a baby or don't use BC?

Are condoms provided under Obamacare as well? Just curious.

They should be since they prevent STDs. Condoms for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I am saddened to see so many people I typically respect and enjoy reading opinions from, attacking my belief in a higher power - in my case, the triune God.

I may have strong convictions of my beliefs, but I would never demean anyone for thinking differently than I do. So far, it appears that saying unkind things about a person's beliefs is just acceptable at large. So very sad. I do not agree with many religious beliefs, but I would never try and belittle a person's beliefs - ever. It's just cruel and unnecessary.
    I hope you are honest enough to let your clients know that you have religious expectations. I certainly would want to know that up front, I may finds another person who could acomodate my beliefs more than yourself.

Thanks ... Your case is proved lacking. Now go away ...
    Hosspuller, the world is beyond your understanding at this point...Too much has transpired since the civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Hosspuller, the world is beyond your understanding at this point...Too much has transpired since the civil war.
    As you know, having experienced it ...

You are ignored.

As you know, having experienced it ...

You are ignored.
    As is the 20th century I am in good company....

So did the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    It also meant more than that...Jesus lived as a radical who challenged the status quo - specifically in the way people led their lives in adherence to the current laws & religious laws. Pharisees & priests were always trying to trap him with interpreting the law. If the abhorred radical right actually read the red letters, they would understand that it is the way in which one lives his/her life that brings people to Christ...not the way in which one struggles to force religious practices down someone's throat. Seems folks are still trying to use the law to force their personal wants on the "rest." But - Folks gone do what folks gone do regardless of whatever law is passed & consequences are rarely an effective deterrent (calendar call in your local court will tell you that as will a glance into any correctional institution)...however, that takes us down another trail.

Romans 13:1-7... Whether the governing bodies in place are Christian or not, it is a Christian's obligation to follow the law. We could argue the what-ifs of this scripture all day but the spirit of the scripture is there and a reasonable interpretation suffices.

This can of worms compels me to respond from a variety of perspectives but there probably ain't enough time or space. I work as a youth pastor so my perspective on this whole issue is probably a little different than most. I don't like being lumped into the evangelical right b/c though I am a Follower of Christ, I'm not one to swing my Bible about like a sword wielded by some self-righteous, bull horn toting, doomsdayer...but I do follow the Red Letters as best as I can. Green can follow the law and then take the money he would spend on fines and apply it better by going into neighborhoods and establishing health care clinics where young women/girls can access health care and birth control.

We all make mistakes, pregnancies from rape happen (not a lot but they do), and there are health crises that require pregnancies to be terminated. HOWEVER, by and large the issue of personal accountability is a biggie with this issue. Most women seeking the "morning after" pill had a "night before" choice.

Love all; worship One; judge none.

No ...don't hide the fact. you read the link. Does the gov't supply cell phones & service to people or not ? simple answer ... yes it does.. No urban legend.
    The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.
    The Lifeline program only covers monthly discounts on landline or wireless telephone service for eligible consumers. It does not pay cellular companies to provide free cell phones to consumers, although some cellular service providers choose to offer that benefit to their Lifeline customers.
    Lifeline discounts are not available only to "welfare recipients" — these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or take part in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:
    Medicaid;
    Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
    Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8);
    Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
    Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);
    National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program;
    Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;
    Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);
    Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);
    Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or
    State assistance programs (if applicable).

The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers:
    All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal USF based on a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues. These companies include wireline phone companies, wireless phone companies, paging service companies and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers.

Some consumers may notice a “Universal Service” line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge. The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers. Each company makes a business decision about whether and how to assess charges to recover its Universal Service costs. These charges usually appear as a percentage of the consumer’s phone bill. Companies that choose to collect Universal Service fees from their customers cannot collect an amount that exceeds their contribution to the USF. They also cannot collect any fees from a Lifeline program participant.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Why do you think it's so ridiculous??? Seriously half the election was based on keeping women's rights. On who NOT to vote for instead of who was best for the job. Sorry I don't think it's all that ridiculous.
    Half the election was based on keeping womens rights??????? WTF .

This is where my favorite saying comes in, let me post it here:

The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting an inexperienced man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama Presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their President. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their President."

Let the pile on begin.

I am nothing short of astounded at what Hosspuller has said. All in one breath he says he won't support services such a tele relay and then says he's all for charity. And then later pronounces that Stolen Virtue is now ignored, as if that will prove a hardship to her.

*blink* wow so much ignorance from one person.