The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the link, LauraKY. I'm glad the church is at least willing to administer Plan B to rape victims. However, I was pretty horrified to read that not one but TWO Catholic hospitals had turned away a rape victim who was seeking treatment, because they were afraid she would want emergency contraception. That's heartless.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Thanks for the link, LauraKY. I'm glad the church is at least willing to administer Plan B to rape victims. However, I was pretty horrified to read that not one but TWO Catholic hospitals had turned away a rape victim who was seeking treatment, because they were afraid she would want emergency contraception. That's heartless.
    so much for the message of love, right....

at least they have since then seen the light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Well that's it.... hell is surely freezing over now. The Church is going to ALLOW rape victims to prevent conception. How gracious of them.....

4 members found this post helpful.

Well well, looks like the BC mandate will be slowly ebbing away. Dominos won their fight against the Obamacare BC mandate. They have set the precedent for all other companies that will fight this on religous grounds.

The HL case is moving to the 10th circuit.

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/03/17/...acare-mandate/

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Well well, looks like the BC mandate will be slowly ebbing away. Dominos won their fight against the Obamacare BC mandate. They have set the precedent for all other companies that will fight this on religous grounds.

The HL case is moving to the 10th circuit.

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/03/17/...acare-mandate/
    no, they won a preliminary injunction.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    no, they won a preliminary injunction.

dominos won a temporary restarining order against the mandate, ie they do not have to comply. I predict the entire mandate will be repealed, just like the medical device tax.

"Monaghan should “not be compelled to act in conflict with his religious beliefs,” wrote U.S. District Judge Lawrence Zatgoff in issuing the halt against the mandate. Domino Farms had earlier received a temporary restraining order against the mandate."

And, this http://www.cnbc.com/id/100427793
    Last edited by Noms; Apr. 5, 2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: link

And Sotomayer said no to Hobby Lobby. It seems that it doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    And Sotomayer said no to Hobby Lobby. It seems that it doesn't mean anything.
    Huh said no, get your facts straight SC has not ruled on constitutional merrits yet. So looks like it meand a lot.

Lovely. "But under Obamacare, Domino Farms would be forced to pay for abortion-inducing drugs, contraception, and sterilization—regardless of Monaghan’s belief that such services are “gravely immoral.”

So, they don't even have to cover contraception?! That's completely ridiculous. Again, I wonder: how many kids does this guy have? Because unless he has a LOT of kids, birth control is obviously NOT against his religious beliefs, which sort of invalidates his argument.

Employers should not be able to pick/choose which medications/procedures their employees' health insurance (which the employee PAYS for) covers.

4 members found this post helpful.

The latest - headed to SCOTUS this term: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/politi...iref=allsearch
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    The latest - headed to SCOTUS this term: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/politi...iref=allsearch
    The is going to be interesting. The manufacturers of Plan B are starting to change the currently misleading package insert to now state that it does not prevent implantation, just fertilization, which is the basis of the Hobby Lobby case.

"Last year, the New York Times reported on new evidence that emergency contraceptive pills do not prevent implantation of a fertilized egg and the FDA now tentatively agrees with their assessment. But HRA Pharma appears to be the first drug company to adjust its labels accordingly—a significant data point against the abortion foes appearing before the Supreme Court."

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...not-work-obese

I fully support their right not to find Plan B if it is against their beliefs. I also fully support Roe v. wade as well.

I do not equate access to care with a corporate subsidy. There s nothing to prevent an employ who needs plan b, not an expensive item, from buying it out of their pocket.

It all comes down to personal responsibility. You choose to work for Hobby Lobby or not. You choose to have sex or not. You choose to use a preventative BC or not. If you choose not to use a preventative BC, then you choose to rely on Plan B. It's not your employers responsibility to protect you from the consequences of your actions and choices. And if you are the person working for HL that happens to be raped, I am pretty sure there are resources to help with the $50 cost of plan B.

You don't give up your rights to freedom of religion because you own a business. People have a choice whether to work for you, knowing the position of the company. If you rely on plan b as your method of BC, maybe you should steer clear of that employer.

5 members found this post helpful.

jr, well said!

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I fully support their right not to find Plan B if it is against their beliefs. I also fully support Roe v. wade as well.

I do not equate access to care with a corporate subsidy. There s nothing to prevent an employ who needs plan b, not an expensive item, from buying it out of their pocket.

It all comes down to personal responsibility. You choose to work for Hobby Lobby or not. You choose to have sex or not. You choose to use a preventative BC or not. If you choose not to use a preventative BC, then you choose to rely on Plan B. It's not your employers responsibility to protect you from the consequences of your actions and choices. And if you are the person working for HL that happens to be raped, I am pretty sure there are resources to help with the $50 cost of plan B.

You don't give up your rights to freedom of religion because you own a business. People have a choice whether to work for you, knowing the position of the company. If you rely on plan b as your method of BC, maybe you should steer clear of that employer.
    So by that thinking, should they not cover treatment for cancer if you, for instance, smoke or tan? What about people who live in, say, eastern KY where the cancer rate is twice as high as the rest of KY? Should they be not covered because of where they choose to live? Those are all actions and choices; where do you draw the line? Or is it only drawn for birth control?

Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists are against smoking as part of their religion. Should they be allowed to refuse for smoking caused by cancer?

It's such a contradiction to me. Most of the same people who are against birth control are against abortions, yet birth control has proven to be extremely effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies and abortions. So why not support it?

7 members found this post helpful.

I support Roe V. Wade as well but I disagree with the government forcing people to buy a product (individual mandate) and I disagree with the government forcing people to do things that violate their religious beliefs.

As mentioned above, you have a choice for whom you work.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Does anyone realize that they pay their employees incredibly well. They aren't hurting any employees by not supporting this ONE pill. It's absolutely rediculous that people think they are forcing their beliefs on the employees. They pay full timers $14 an hour, have vacation Time, PPTO time and give all the employees very good Christmas bonuses. If someone can't afford a pill then they are completely handling their finances wrong. They cover birth control, the only thing they don't cover is that one pill.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    Just tossing this out there as a hypothetical question, not directed specifically at you, but at this view in general as it is a popular opinion.

If I am an employer, and I believe that the earth is terribly overpopulated and I am morally opposed to people having children, is it OK for me to say that I do not want to fund the costs of an employee having a child?

That I don't want to pay for prenatal care, the hospital costs for the delivery, or for any of the costs associated with the child? It all comes down to personal responsibility. The employee can choose to have sex or not, or can choose to use birth control. I'm not telling her she can't have children, all I'm telling her is that I'm not paying for her choice to do so. It's not my responsibility to protect employees from the consequences of their actions and choices.

People have a choice as to whether or not they want to work for me based on my position on childbearing. If you plan on having children maybe you shouldn't work for me.

7 members found this post helpful.

I fully support Hobby Lobby.

I had a realization that as an individual, I am being forced to pay for contraception/abortion coverage even though it is counter to my religious beliefs. No, I am not required to use it. But I am being forced to buy coverage for procedures that I find morally wrong. A policy without that coverage should be cheaper than one with it, but I do not have the option of a "junk" policy that conforms with my religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I fully support Hobby Lobby.

I had a realization that as an individual, I am being forced to pay for contraception/abortion coverage even though it is counter to my religious beliefs. No, I am not required to use it. But I am being forced to buy coverage for procedures that I find morally wrong. A policy without that coverage should be cheaper than one with it, but I do not have the option of a "junk" policy that conforms with my religious beliefs.
    Actually a policy that doesn't cover birth control is more expensive. Birth control is way, way cheaper than pregnancy.

5 members found this post helpful.