The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

I am not asking anyone to believe, nor to walk on eggshells and I don't need anyone's support. It would be NICE and show a little common curtesy not to call people whackadoodles, or refer to the deity as an imaginary superhero and refer to my and others' beliefs as nonsense.

5 members found this post helpful.

Then Minnie, what reaction do you want ? and I ask this out of respect since I don't believe and others here don't either so it is hard for us to gauge.

I think the whackaddodle comments were about his ignorance of the morning after pill not being an abortifacient, not his religion.

see Minnie, to a lot of people - a lot of Christians, too - it seems really whacky for this guy to stand up and say "he believes" that the morning after pill causes abortions when it doesn't. The idea that his "belief" is somehow protected and validated because it is made under the umbrella of religion is equally whacky and doesn't shed a very positive light on religion in general.

Should people be able to make things like this up and call it part of their religion? What is next if this one floats? Anyone who has read the bible, particularly women, should be a bit concerned about that.

I had an interesting discussion with a learned Christian today whose comment was that this is level one thinking and that the true Christian response to abortion is to work towards eliminatating the reasons women have abortions. That it is very simple to end your thinking at abortion is murder therefore it should be illegal and that *since the act of making it illegal does not actually stop it* it is not a valid Christian response.

There was a lot more (some of it about level one thinking about grace) but I am tired and a little tipsy so I am signing off. I am still having to type on my phone but if I get my iPad up tomorrow I will relay more.

Anyway, I really don't think anyone is trying to be insulting but with different beliefs comes misunderstanding and conflict. Trust me when I say we "heathens" LOL are routinely offered offense and mostly choose to not take it. You can choose, too
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Jan. 1, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just respect. I have no problem with non belief. I respect that. You can shout from the rooftops. Just please try to refrain from ridiculing or demeaning someone else's beliefs.

I never said it was a "fact" there IS a God. I pointed out to someone else they could NOT say it was a fact that their isn't. As someone else observed "no one knows". There are hundreds of millions of people who believe in a higher being. They don't demand you believe. Just respect they do and it's a very important part of their life. Why make fun of their beliefs and offend them? That's all. I just think it's unnecessary.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Just respect. I have no problem with non belief. I respect that. You can shout from the rooftops. Just please try to refrain from ridiculing or demeaning someone else's beliefs.

I never said it was a "fact" there IS a God. I pointed out to someone else they could NOT say it was a fact that their isn't. As someone else observed "no one knows". There are hundreds of millions of people who believe in a higher being. They don't demand you believe. Just respect they do and it's a very important part of their life. Why make fun of their beliefs and offend them? That's all. I just think it's unnecessary.
    Fair enough. Thank you for clarifying, some of us, well me, needs lots of direction.
    Thank you minnie and have a great new year, we all need it !

describe what "respect" looks like. I don't believe in imaginary beings. That's a fact, not disrespect.

2 members found this post helpful.

Back at ya sv

I wonder if they have a problem with covering vasectomies? Because that is a form of birth control--it allows a man to have sex without impregnating his partner. If they will cover vasectomies, their whole argument is totally moot. I have no idea of what their stance is on this, but since they have only spoken about being opposed to the BC pill and Plan B, it makes one wonder.

And I have to say, if we weren't all on an online BB I would think we were in the Dark Ages.

Respect is just that. Say you don't believe and let it go at that. There's really no need to refer to an imaginary being or a myth or whatever. For those who believe it's definitely not an imaginary being. Whether it's God or Jesus or Buddha or Allah.

2 members found this post helpful.

Respect is just that. Say you don't believe and let it go at that. There's really no need to refer to an imaginary being or a myth or whatever. For those who believe it's definitely not an imaginary being. Whether it's God or Jesus or Buddha or Allah.
    No. They get to refer to their belief and say that it's a higher power. That means I get to say that it's an imaginary being.

Minnie, this is the definition of a myth:

1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

see, no on is being rude when they use that term. It's accurate and correct , just misunderstood.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thank you....
    “It’s amazing what you can achieve when you make something mandatory and fine people if they don’t do it."
    Jimmy Fallon on Obamacare.

1 members found this post helpful.

Your welcome.

One of my dad's neighbors owns a pub. He rented a space in a retail building. He placed his liquor license in the window prior to beginning internal construction. The owner of the space contacted him to inform him he would not be able to open, as Hobby Lobby was to be the largest tenant and they did not want to be in the same location as a place that served alcohol. This is a company that DOES force it's beliefs on others, but I like their cheap crap

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    One of my dad's neighbors owns a pub. He rented a space in a retail building. He placed his liquor license in the window prior to beginning internal construction. The owner of the space contacted him to inform him he would not be able to open, as Hobby Lobby was to be the largest tenant and they did not want to be in the same location as a place that served alcohol. This is a company that DOES force it's beliefs on others, but I like their cheap crap
    How is that even legal???

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    How is that even legal???
    If the owner of the retail site did a lease w/HL that stated he would agree not to rent to alchohol related businesses, then the owner of the retail site is who is at fault for making that a condition of a lease, and then trying to rent space to dad's neighbor for a pub.

I don't know the details of the lease, but my understanding is that HL threw a fit about the pub. There are two sides, and I've only heard one.

If Hobby Lobby loses their case, does it qualify as evidence that they don't have god on their side? Or does it mean god's not in our court system because it doesn't show up where it's not wanted (though at the same time it's all-supreme, etc) and what a travesty that is?

if Hobby Lobby loses, what will the conservative spin be?
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    If Hobby Lobby loses their case, does it qualify as evidence that they don't have god on their side? Or does it mean god's not in our court system because it doesn't show up where it's not wanted (though at the same time it's all-supreme, etc) and what a travesty that is?

If you are serious in asking this, and not just trying to be nasty, then the answer is that things happen for a reason. People often do things that are not what God's will would be, but we have free will, as people.

If they lose, there is no spin. Simply that a court ruled against them. A court made up of humans who are fallible. HL will have to make a choice to abide by law, or go out of business, putting all of their employees out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post

I suspect that some will say that it is more evidence that the USA has abandoned god and will blame the next natural disaster on it.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.