The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 1148
  1. #541
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    You were being rude by referring to God as an imaginary being. Regardless of ones beliefs, that was uncalled for. It was demeaning.
    Your god, your feelings. I wonder if a couple of people on this board would be so sensitive about another person's "higher power" as it is depicted in the Koran ?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    What is so difficult for you guys to understand????????
    What I don't 'get' is why HL is so stupid?????? Why HL wants unwanted pregnancies to be carried by unwilling/unable parents. Why HL is so dumb about the public good and so 'smart' about how a clump of cells has a 'right' to a woman's uterus, but that woman does not not have a right to a job, health insurance, housing, or even self determination.

    I mean really, a fetus has a right to uterus, but once it's out of the uterus it somehow has no rights to 'housing?' How does that happen?

    I don't 'get' how HL is so short sighted of the real consequences.

    And where in the Bible does it say an employer has to stop their employee from having an abortion? Bible experts, point out the passage, please..... HL and all the other whack-a-doodles of suck ilk are making this nonsense up as they go along.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2005
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    Women EARN their benefits. David Green is NOT paying out of pocket for ANYTHING. Employees work. Employers pay. Employees spend their earned income and benefits as they see fit.
    I'm not certain if things are different in the States, but our company matches employees deductions for the insurance plan, so this fellow may well be paying out of 'his' pocket, hence his position, however controversial it is.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    What I don't 'get' is why HL is so stupid?????? Why HL wants unwanted pregnancies to be carried by unwilling/unable parents. Why HL is so dumb about the public good and so 'smart' about how a clump of cells has a 'right' to a woman's uterus, but that woman does not not have a right to a job, health insurance, housing, or even self determination.

    I mean really, a fetus has a right to uterus, but once it's out of the uterus it somehow has no rights to 'housing?' How does that happen?

    I don't 'get' how HL is so short sighted of the real consequences.

    And where in the Bible does it say an employer has to stop their employee from having an abortion? Bible experts, point out the passage, please..... HL and all the other whack-a-doodles of suck ilk are making this nonsense up as they go along.
    I would imagine Mr HL saying something like this: Hi female employees, take as many contraceptives as you want, morning after pill? feel free to eat them like M&Ms. Have an abortion every month if you like..

    But, sorry, due to MY religious beliefs, I am not able to provide a benefits package that cover those things. So, in order to make you whole with respect to male employees, we will be increasing your monthly take home pay by $20.00.

    The End.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    I would imagine Mr HL saying something like this: Hi female employees, take as many contraceptives as you want, morning after pill? feel free to eat them like M&Ms. Have an abortion every month if you like..

    But, sorry, due to MY religious beliefs, I am not able to provide a benefits package that cover those things. So, in order to make you whole with respect to male employees, we will be increasing your monthly take home pay by $20.00.

    The End.
    That doesn't sound like a biblical passage?

    I can see someone saying it, but it does seem like something of a cop out.

    "Well I have no real reason to justify this, I just feeeel like it. My imaginary super hero protector tells me I would get coal in my stocking for Christmas if this company paid $ for medical procedures that I don't like. Even though I am not, technically, running a religious organization, I still feel that my religion ought to play a significant role in this profit making endeavor. Yes, in your teeny, tiny, worthless, bottom feeding, working class way you are all an important part of this company, but it is really MY religious inclinations that count. All you little whores have a nice time screwing The Devil this Sunday. (Which is what I KNOW you'll be doing instead of praying on your knees like you ought to be...."


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

    And where in the Bible does it say an employer has to stop their employee from having an abortion? Bible experts, point out the passage, please..... HL and all the other whack-a-doodles of suck ilk are making this nonsense up as they go along.
    Do you really want to open that can of worms?



  7. #547
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    That doesn't sound like a biblical passage?

    I can see someone saying it, but it does seem like something of a cop out.

    "Well I have no real reason to justify this, I just feeeel like it. My imaginary super hero protector tells me I would get coal in my stocking for Christmas if this company paid $ for medical procedures that I don't like. Even though I am not, technically, running a religious organization, I still feel that my religion ought to play a significant role in this profit making endeavor. Yes, in your teeny, tiny, worthless, bottom feeding, working class way you are all an important part of this company, but it is really MY religious inclinations that count. All you little whores have a nice time screwing The Devil this Sunday. (Which is what I KNOW you'll be doing instead of praying on your knees like you ought to be...."

    YAY, i feel like there has been a breakthrough.

    Now all that is left it for you to run your letter thorugh the bizillion levels of attorneys that you need to, in order to distribute your communication to your employees.... In the end, it ususally ends up looking nothing like your original communication.



  8. #548
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Do you really want to open that can of worms?
    I dunno.... I mean if HL is saying its on 'religious grounds,' then I think it is reasonable to ask, "ok, so (as Barbara Streisand says so often in Yentl... )"where is it written?" ( I love that movie.)) I mean if HL is going to play the religion card, then how about some sort of something to back it up?

    Is religion just anything that any imaginary friend/birdie happens to whisper in my ear??

    I'm not a Bible expert, but I'm guessing there is nothing nowhere that it says an employer is responsible for preventing employees from having abortions?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    YAY, i feel like there has been a breakthrough.

    Now all that is left it for you to run your letter thorugh the bizillion levels of attorneys that you need to, in order to distribute your communication to your employees.... In the end, it ususally ends up looking nothing like your original communication.
    Well lawyers get paid a lot to make sure nobody understands the 'agreement.'


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    Actually, I think the founders of this country used the higher power clause long before I did. Does, "All men are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights" ring a bell? It is that phrase from which all of our rights are given. And you will notice, they did not say that the rights are granted by governments or other men but by the Creator. So, according to the Constitution, which was written by men far more wise than I could ever hope to be, the higher power does trump government, because our rights are granted by that power and not by man nor government.
    Actually that was the Declaration of Independence, and there's more: http://www.usconstitution.net/declar.html

    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, —"


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #551
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    What I don't 'get' is why HL is so stupid?????? Why HL wants unwanted pregnancies to be carried by unwilling/unable parents. Why HL is so dumb about the public good and so 'smart' about how a clump of cells has a 'right' to a woman's uterus, but that woman does not not have a right to a job, health insurance, housing, or even self determination.

    I mean really, a fetus has a right to uterus, but once it's out of the uterus it somehow has no rights to 'housing?' How does that happen?

    I don't 'get' how HL is so short sighted of the real consequences.

    And where in the Bible does it say an employer has to stop their employee from having an abortion? Bible experts, point out the passage, please..... HL and all the other whack-a-doodles of suck ilk are making this nonsense up as they go along.
    HE IS NOT STOPPING PEOPLE FROM USING BC OR GETTING AN ABORTION. HE IS JUST UNWILLING TO FUND IT. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand?
    And FWIW, I'm pro choice/pro BC.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    so let's assume for arguments sake, that the prelim decision is rescinded but not until oh.....Feb 1. Does that mean that the feds would have to pay back any monies he paid to cover the fines or are the fines non-refundable?
    No, the Feds would not have to repay any fines paid during HL's non-compliance prior to an ultimate SCOTUS decision that this portion of the law is unconstitutional.

    HL had a huge stroke of bad luck with Sotomayor as the duty judge. Her opinion (and the issue of the injunction pending appeal is solely the duty judge's opinion, not a group decision) is that HL's compliance with the law pending their appeal is not harmful enough to warrant the stay. This leaves HL with 2 choices - comply while they work their way through the judicial process up to SCOTUS, or be willing to pay the fine during that time.

    Had they pulled a different duty judge, the outcome of the injunction may have been different.

    As a side note, HL, like other organizations that challenge the constitutionality of laws like this, will not recover the money spent litigating the issue even if they prevail. That is why so many of these challenges are funded by large interest groups, and it appears that HL has a religious group that is helping to back them on this litigation (can't recall the name).

    Again, I do not agree with HL's position, but I won't criticize them for availing themselves of their rights and working their way through the judicial system. That is how this country works.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #553
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post

    The Green family chose to incorporate their business, separating it from their personal affairs and shielding them from liabilities incurred by the corporation. but that means they are subject to the laws other corporations are subject to.
    This is a very legitimate point. When you incorporate your business, you are effectively saying "my business does not equal "me"" and, accordingly, you are not personally not liable for the liabilities your business. Separating your business from your personal life, in order to protect yourself from debts and lawsuits, is a good idea. But, now that you HAVE separated your business from your personal life, it doesn't make sense to impose your personal values on that business. Can't have it both ways.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    That is why so many of these challenges are funded by large interest groups, and it appears that HL has a religious group that is helping to back them on this litigation (can't recall the name).
    I believe it may be the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty.

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/a...8#.UOJHd3fkK00



  15. #555
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    What I don't 'get' is why HL is so stupid?????? Why HL wants unwanted pregnancies to be carried by unwilling/unable parents. Why HL is so dumb about the public good and so 'smart' about how a clump of cells has a 'right' to a woman's uterus, but that woman does not not have a right to a job, health insurance, housing, or even self determination.

    I mean really, a fetus has a right to uterus, but once it's out of the uterus it somehow has no rights to 'housing?' How does that happen?

    I don't 'get' how HL is so short sighted of the real consequences.

    And where in the Bible does it say an employer has to stop their employee from having an abortion? Bible experts, point out the passage, please..... HL and all the other whack-a-doodles of suck ilk are making this nonsense up as they go along.
    And once again, insults are thrown when lefties can't think of anything constructive to add.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #556
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    3,289

    Default

    why is it that so many people who do not believe in a higher power feel the need to ridicule and insult those that do? I respect and do not insult nonbelievers. I have both agnostic and atheistic members of family and friends. They respect my beliefs. Why does this get so mean spirited and disrespectful?


    6 members found this post helpful.

  17. #557
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    I'm not certain if things are different in the States, but our company matches employees deductions for the insurance plan, so this fellow may well be paying out of 'his' pocket, hence his position, however controversial it is.
    If the employees weren't working there wouldn't be money in his pocket.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #558
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    This is a very legitimate point. When you incorporate your business, you are effectively saying "my business does not equal "me"" and, accordingly, you are not personally not liable for the liabilities your business. Separating your business from your personal life, in order to protect yourself from debts and lawsuits, is a good idea. But, now that you HAVE separated your business from your personal life, it doesn't make sense to impose your personal values on that business. Can't have it both ways.
    YUP
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #559
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    why is it that so many people who do not believe in a higher power feel the need to ridicule and insult those that do? I respect and do not insult nonbelievers. I have both agnostic and atheistic members of family and friends. They respect my beliefs. Why does this get so mean spirited and disrespectful?
    No one is disrespectfull, you and others think everyone needs to walk on eggshells around your personal beliefs. If your beliefs were so strong you would not be expecting others to support you. You are attempting to make factual statements on something that cannot be proven and you consider anyone questioning your beliefs as disrespectfull. You want respect and reverance for your belief, join a christian BB.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #560
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    No, calling HL "whackadoodles" or "stupid" sounds pretty disrespectful to me. If that's the best you can do, your arguement is pretty weak.


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Fall flowers 80% off at Hobby Lobby!
    By NaniLio in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
  3. Obamacare And Horseowners
    By Frank B in forum Off Course
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: Sep. 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: Oct. 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
  5. Spinoff- how do you support your dressage hobby?
    By CatOnLap in forum Dressage
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2008, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •