The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Favorite compliments you've received.

I'm trying to put an effort into spreading more positivity.

So, I'm curious what compliments have really stuck with you or made your day.

I am not sure Grandma meant it always as a compliment, but I felt good when she said that I was not half horse, but 99% horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

That my handwriting wasn't messy, it was creative. My freshman year HS history teacher told me that, and 24 years later it's still my favorite Whether he intended it as a compliment is another story...

1 members found this post helpful.

A guy once told me that I have "a nice white girl butt." I thought it was absolutely hilarious and it continues to be one of my favorites.

I don't need personal compliments very much but it will make my year if just one client at work would tell us that they appreciate the hard work we do for their pets. Hearing I'm a good vet is always good when thrown in there too.

I had someone tell me they were happy their daughter chose me as a role model. I was so touched.

Of course now I have to make sure my behavior is up to par!

2 members found this post helpful.

Best compliment I ever received was actually made to my boyfriend... an older (late 70's) couple was looking at us throughout dinner.. when they got up to leave, they stopped and the husband said:
    "I would like to compliment you in your choice in company"...

So elegant and the wife was just nodding along. Thought that was very well said.

Otherwise, just a mention of how passionate I am about my work, or a recognition of how hard I work is the best thing for me... even though not needed, it's nice!

I try to share compliments as often as possible... even if it's to a stranger in line at Starbucks in the AM about a piece of jewelry or anything.. it makes people
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I have 2 young children (they are about to turn 1 & 4 in May and June), the other night we were out to dinner after my older daughters swim lesson and as the table next to us was leaving a 50's'ish couple came over and complemented on how beautiful and well behaved our children were. So glad to hear that at this point I haven't screwed up and my kids are not viewed as Satan's Spawn!

3 members found this post helpful.

My ex husband once said I was the only person he ever knew who always did the right thing. He was a lying, cheating ass, but that compliment sticks with me.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

A compliment is a simple, free gesture that shows generosity of spirit. A compliment given sincerely is a day maker and we should all do it more. Good idea.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

6 members found this post helpful.

A general compliment that would mean a lot to me is like someone else pointed out, being told you are a wonderful role model.
    Now my most awesome compliment I've ever had? I attended a reception at the governor's mansion to honor my (soon to be at the time) mother in law (I was 24). I was dressed in a great formal dress, had my hair up in a French twist and makeup/ whole nine yards. Hung out at the reception for about an hour and about 45 minutes in, an old lady (had to be in her 70's) walks up to me and says "Excuse me dear, but my husband over there thinks you are just the most beautiful girl he's ever seen and he's too shy to come tell you himself". Her husband was the retired chancellor of the university I'd just applied to Graduate School at. Had I possessed the bravado or quickness of wit at the time I would have used that as a great "in" to go try to persuade him to get me admitted, but I was honestly completely flustered and flattered so much I was practically speechless beyond thanking them both.

"You're doing a good job," said by a stranger in reference to my parenting (two different times).

"You just don't ever give up, do you? You're tough." Said by a friend when we were drinking and talking over some hard stuff.

I'm a bit looped from surgery yesterday, so right now the one freshest in my mind is my bf telling me I'm a strong person as he got me in the car to go home. I've heard that from my family members over the years and I find it to be a great compliment. I have had a lot to deal with in my like so it's been useful.

On riding, once an instructor said I had perfect leg position-probably only for a full minute, but I'll take it.

And a co-worker said I had more guts and testosterone than any man in the organization (I'm not a guy), and I appreciated that one too.

A friend of many years always calls me for advice on really serious matters, because "You always know exactly what to do, and stand up for yourself"-I like that one.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

After I was introduced, my Creative Director said to a fellow industry professional, "This girl's got chops. Keep a close eye out for this one."

It was the first time I heard that I actually had the potential to make it in advertising, from someone who's won about every award under the sun. I'll never forget it. It keeps me going when I'm still slaving away in the studio at 2am.

An older gentleman friend of mine was asked one day if he was my father and he said "I only wish I had a daughter like her" I now call him my adopted dad.

Last week I was dressed up for my husband in a skirt, knee high boots and a blouse. I was having one of those bloated icky days and I really didn't even want to go out, but because we so rarely get the chance I put on the outfit and he was happy. While we were at the bar I got up and danced to one song and went into the bathroom. A few girls walked in and occupied the 2 stalls next to me and started talking about "the slut in the skirt" Since I was the only one in a skirt in the redneck kinda joint we were in, I piped up about not knowing people just by what they were wearing and finished with "from the girl in the skirt" I heard a gasp and a moan and then "really?" I said "yea really" One girl came out and apologized profusely she was in her early twenties and very pretty.

So to make a very long story short, I know being called a slut is supposed to be an insult, but I figured if my late 30's ass was threatening to 2 cute little twenty somethings I must look pretty good (my friend pointed out another benefit to age was the ability to find humor and good in this situation instead of being horrified and upset by it)
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Several people at different times have told me they love to talk with me, because they may start down in the dumps, but always leave happier and with a better outlook on things.

These admissions of compliments seem a bit embarrassing, like telling on yourself in a way that makes me look good.
    That makes me squirm a bit, because I also know how fallible I am.

A good friend once told me the world would be a less interesting place without me. I will never forget that. (I had just told her the would be a less fun place without her .)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

A couple of my former, now grown up students have complimented me on being a good role model for them. I was in my early twenties then and being a role model was not first on my mind. But I'm glad I helped them live out their dreams of riding and showing and treating their horses well, appreciating their great blessings.

I love to compliment people and make them smile. It makes me smile!

I once sold a horse to a friend of a friend.
    when I walked into that lady's office she looked up and exclaimed that I had the most lovely energy.
    I was FLOORED and very flattered, and assumed I was backlit like an angel, lol.