The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Um...weird rash...WTF is this? Pics post #13.

On the last day of the cruise I went on I developed a rash on my thighs. I thought maybe it was due to the soap I used or something. It went away after a few days.

A couple days ago I noticed my ears were incredibly itchy inside and out. They also had a burning sensation and felt as if they were swelling up just inside. My eyes were also itchy/burning. Eventually my scalp started itching badly and I could feel raised welts around it. Itching subsided for a few hours yesterday but came back on and off. Last night I noticed raised welt like bumps all over my upper thigh and hip area. They itched badly. Also had them appear on my right arm.
    This morning, I awoke to find that the welt like bumps were still there but not as red/raised. New ones appeared on my left arm near my elbow. Later this morning more appeared on my left wrist... then eventually my right wrist. Some were evident on the back of my neck. My chest area was itching and was starting welt in certain areas but it has died down and has not bothered me since. Now my ankle is itching quite a bit but I haven't yet noticed any welts. A little while ago, ears and eyes began itching again. Scalp again began to itch, with raised welts present.
    "Welts" on my wrists, arms, and neck are all perfect circles. Welts on my hip/thigh area are more blended together.

I tried going to the doctor today but it was an urgent care type office (my Dr's office couldn't fit me in) and there was a 2 hr + wait. I'm going to go back again tomorrow earlier in the morning to hopefully figure out what the heck is going on... but I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before? Any ideas on what it is? Benedryl didn't help.

I haven't eaten anything different, gone anywhere different (aside from a cruise to the Bahamas a week ago), used any different soaps, lotions, laundry detergents, etc.
    It's driving me absolutely insane.
    Last edited by Milocalwinnings; Dec. 30, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I really hope it isn't this!

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you been on antibiotics recently? I have a pretty nasty rash going on right now that showed up *after* I finished a course of clindamycin for an eye infection. I have never had a reaction to antibiotics before. It's a mess and it's all over my body. I feel for you.

Zantac also can work to reduce the rash. I tried some today and it really helped. But I'm not a doctor so take the advice with a grain of salt!

Could be a staph infection, especially if you were in any hot tubs/pools.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Have you been on antibiotics recently? I have a pretty nasty rash going on right now that showed up *after* I finished a course of clindamycin for an eye infection. I have never had a reaction to antibiotics before. It's a mess and it's all over my body. I feel for you.

Zantac also can work to reduce the rash. I tried some today and it really helped. But I'm not a doctor so take the advice with a grain of salt!
    You need to have that rash looked at ASAP. I don't mean to scare you and it's probably nothing but there is a syndrome associated with antibiotics (and sometimes other drugs) that is quite serious. It's called Stevens-Johnson syndrome and it almost killed my neighbor.

He came over one evening to show me his rash (I used to be a nurse). I told him to get to the doctor right away, he ignored me and about a week later he was taken to the hospital and given about a 50% chance of survival. He did make it but had to spend a couple weeks in the hospital. He was in pretty bad shape for quite a while.

Stevens-Johnson is really rare but a nasty full body rash after a course of antibiotics absolutely requires a doctor visit. Don't take any other meds until you've seen a doctor.

I just got off clindamyacin and didn't have the rash, but horrible chest pains. Looking up symptoms scared the crap out of me. At least I just had chest pain and not the rash or the diarrhea that got people into the hospital. Do you have any acidophilus you can take just in case you have something to get your body's good bacteria going again?

Look like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_tub_folliculitis

If you used any recreational water facilities, pools or hot tubs during your cruise this could be it.

you say the lesions are perfect circles - is there redness inside the circle, or only on the border? If a ring, think ringworm.

Not to worry, I was at the doctor's the same day I noticed the rash. Got a cortisone shot and am keeping an eye on it in case it doesn't get better. Believe me, I don't fool around with something that unusual - never had a reaction like this before.

1 members found this post helpful.

On one wrist, the rash is a perfect solid red circle. No ring. On my left wrist, there's a white ring with a red center. Both have stopped itching, so I am hoping I'm on the mend.

Eyes/scalp are still itchy. Hip area is occasionally itchy but not nearly as bad as before. I've been using cortisone cream on that area.

The palm of my hands both burn.

The itchiness of each of the areas that had this rash tends to come and go, I've noticed. I'll be fine and then my wrist will start itching badly. Or my ears/eyes/scalp will all start itching. I wish it would just do one or the other. At least it if was consistantly there I wouldn't feel like I'm crazy. But with my luck I'll go to the doctor and the rash will not be as visible as it has been.

I tried to go to the walk in clinic since my Dr's office is again closed, but the parking lot was completelly full again, meaning there would be a super long wait. They are open til 10pm so I will check back around 9 tonight to see if they are less busy. Otherwise I'll call my regular doctor first thing in the morning to see if he can squeeze me in.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Oh dear! This sounds very serious.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Can you use your phone or digital camera to take pictures of the rash to show the doctor?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Default Pictures

Pics aren't the greatest due to lighting and it being taken with a cell phone. It's heard to see some some of the defined white "rings" on my left wrist in the pics.

Right wrist:
    http://s152.beta.photobucket.com/use...f38c2.jpg.html

Left wrist:
    http://s152.beta.photobucket.com/use...d47fc.jpg.html

The back of my kneck, hip area, and arms had a similar looking rash to my right wrist.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Ermagerd! That's some serious stuff! Try some Bactine or something!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Have you tried Benadryl to help with the itching? I hope you will go to the doctor asap,,,,even if the parking lot is full! Mr. chai got staph infection from a friend's hot tub which was really awful. It made a distinct red line across his chest and it was gross.
    Please don't let this wait.

OUCH! My ex got a nasty staph infection from jet skiing in sandals in Key West. Please get checked out.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Have you tried Benadryl to help with the itching? I hope you will go to the doctor asap,,,,even if the parking lot is full! Mr. chai got staph infection from a friend's hot tub which was really awful. It made a distinct red line across his chest and it was gross.
    Please don't let this wait.
    I have tried Benedryl and it didn't really help much. I'm planning to head back to the doc later tonight (they are open til 10), hopefully the crowd has died down.

I would think it was an allergic reaction to antibiotics if you've been on them. My allergist told me that they often are around joints, but when I had my reaction to penicillin it started on my joints and then was in my ears, the palms of my hands, the soles of my feet, in my nose - everywhere, big itchy welts. It was awful

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I would think it was an allergic reaction to antibiotics if you've been on them. My allergist told me that they often are around joints, but when I had my reaction to penicillin it started on my joints and then was in my ears, the palms of my hands, the soles of my feet, in my nose - everywhere, big itchy welts. It was awful
    I haven't been on any antibiotics recently. But other than that, it sounds like my rash. the ones on my arms are near my elbows. I have them on my wrists, hip/pelvis area, my ankle was itching but I saw no welts. My ears/eyes/scalp itch, palms of my hands burn, etc.

I got ring worm - that didn't look anything like typical ring worm - from a kitten I brought home. I had places ALL over me. I thought I had chicken pox. Nope. Just ring worm.