The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2 Trainers in Western Michigan take on the Challenge - Can Oliver be saved ?

I think that many of the Coth readers will find this story interesting to follow. I hope that the story of Oliver can enlighten and educate, amuse and compel us to always look for a way to help the horses we love so much. Happy reading.

Note to Mod: Oliver was destined to become a dressage horse, so I am posting this here. I hope you'll keep it in this forum.

Karin Offield

Default I forgot the link....

I hope this works for him. Fingers crossed.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Given the history of the horse - I am extremely upset to see a photo with a woman on him WITH NO HELMET and a child (thank God with a helmet) sitting in front of her. That's just plain reckless.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I think the horse is the most sane one out of the lot of cray cray. Poor guy.

Thanks for sharing, Karin.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

The horse has Wobbler's and rears/flips. And she wants people to risk their lives so the horse can be ridden again? Yikes. Why can't the horse simply be retired from riding? If she is not willing or able to do the basket surgery for Wobbler's then why continue to force the horse to be ridden when clearly he is in distress? Why can't he just eat grass?

Because "the Lord" wants her to. Or so she says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

And is it just me or does that horse definitely not look 18hh, looks 16.2hh max.

I also doubt the 18h thing, but who can say if you aren't standing next to him, pictures are odd, etc.

this sure sounds like a horse who was trying to tell folks something and nobody was listening, in my opinion. I don't know the ramifications of his Potomic fever, or of being nutritionally deficient from it, nor how much discomfort he is in, but I would suspect alot of this behavior stems from discomfort and is reinforced by poor boundaries on the part of the owner.

I would doubt the horse is healthy for riding and work. Hope the new trainers do well by him and he can be brought back to safe handling. Hope he's actually healthy.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Wow, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Given the history of the horse - I am extremely upset to see a photo with a woman on him WITH NO HELMET and a child (thank God with a helmet) sitting in front of her. That's just plain reckless.
    Because dontcha know that if you wear a helmet you will develop Superman syndrome and do reckless things because you think you can't get hurt if you're wearing one.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I feel for the poor sucker in FL that got a dangerous horse dumped on her. I hope she was paid really, really well.

I'm not sure who's crazier in this scenario, but it doesn't sound like any of them has trained enough horses to really know what they are doing. Or even to know that they don't know they don't know.

Looking forward to the finale !!

"On a physical level, his emotions are stored in his cells, and they disrupt his physical body manifesting as illness, injury, and pain. Energetically, his unresolved issues and emotions create blocks in his energy field that disrupt his field, making him susceptible to physical illness, injury, and pain. "

"The main technique I’m using with Ollie is Energy Touch. It’s an off-the-body modality that I use to repair and clear Ollie’s energy field and physical body. I work out to the 22nd level of the energy field, repairing the grids that surround the physical body, strengthening universal connections needed for optimal health, and optimizing energy flow through the field. I work with a hologram of the body to repair or replace organs, systems, tissues, and DNA, healing the body down to the cellular level. I also use a technique called cellular memory release to release and resolve stored emotions and traumas from the body. This work goes far beyond the actual physical body to not only repair the physcial body but to minimize and protect it against further damage."

I absolutely just cannot get enough of this stuff......

I know it's hard to give up on dreams with a horse that you envisioned being your partner for years to come (BTDT), and the financial loss, and she obviously is very attached to him. But gosh, a horse with neck and back problems, Wobblers, and dominance issues, why??? Not only is it not safe for the human, but if the horse is uncomfortable being ridden--dressage is probably the worst thing for neck issues---let him be. Either euthanize him or find him a pasture companion home.

I hope that the trainers have new Xrays to confirm the previous Wobbler's misdiagnosis

So he is 7 now? As in most of the problems were when an ammy mostly rode him at 4-5-6?

I watched a special on another Orphan horse that was "ammy" trained for the most part and the horse developed some serious dangerous issues also...

The trainer had seen that before so I'll take his word for it that Orphans can develope strange boundary issues and humans can feel "sorry" for them and mishandle their important years of learning.

The one time she mentions a professional getting involved they jump 3.6 with him (while he had previously done 2ft occasionally)... He obviously was on his way to having problems, why jump him right away and a foot and half over his previous training...

Sounds like this poor horse has had mistake after mistake.

18 hands is a lot of growing... Could be just young and spoiled mixed with issues that may have resolved by now.

Restarting at 7 would be hard, but his mind and body may be ready for it who knows.

If the vet clears him and she finds someone who wants to give it a go, then by all means...

I have seen far worse come out the other side.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Can you wait to resume this thread when I get home and can open a bottle of Cakebread Pinot Noir? Preesh!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Take your time
    I don't think it's going anywhere fast ...