The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adderall/ADHD meds

Thoughts? Anyone else on it? Today is my first day taking 15 mg and while it put me in a really good mood, I can't say it really helped me focus any better (although I haven't tried to sit down and read something). Any advice on generic vs name brand/ir vs xr or even adderall vs vyvanse/ritalin/etc? Did it help any with your riding (remembering courses?)

I've been on Adderall for several years. Ritalin didn't work that well for me, and I haven't tried Vyvanase, Concerta, etc, as my doctor didn't think they would work as well for me. It makes a huge difference for me at work and in daily life, not so much riding or doing other physical activities, where I don't have as much of an issue focusing. I usually take generic and can't tell a difference, although some people find that only brand name works for them, and for some people even the manufacturer makes a difference. Although I would probably do better on extended release, it makes me have problems sleeping, so I just take the regular. Do be careful, because it can be an appetite suppressant, which can be a really inconvenient side effect (it's super easy for me to skip meals and then be starving when it wears off and eat whatever is easy). Weirdly, although I haven't heard other people have this as a side effect, for me it really does a great job of regulating my sleep patterns, so if I try to take a "drug holiday" for a few days, my sleep usually gets all out of whack, and I stay up way too late, etc. Oddly it's like normally when the Adderall wears off, my body knows it's time to get tired and go to sleep, and without it I don't have that signal.

It is a very frequently abused drug, and although I've never had a problem, I am very careful about not leaving it out when workmen, cleaning woman, etc will be at my house - probably being overcautious, but the street value is very high.

Sadly, it hasn't helped me in the least with remembering courses or dressage tests .

I take Ritalin and find it makes a HUGE difference when I'm working. Actually, any time but most obviously at work. I can concentrate and actually get things done in a timely fashion. I haven't found it supresses appetite (although sometimes I wish it would), nor does it affect my sleep. Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the replies! My doctor had originally wanted to put me on Concerta but because it works more like an xr and she wanted me to try something more instant release first. That is interesting about the sleep-not being able to sleep is probably my biggest concern as I have enough trouble falling asleep as it is! Although I usually can't fall asleep because my brain is going a million miles a minute so who knows, maybe adderall will help calm that down. I had heard the generic adderall can really effect people differently but the name brand is just so dang expensive!

Try melatonin (OTC) for sleeping. I have friends with kids on Adderall who swear by this and my sons doctor approves in (in appropriate dosages as well).

My son is on generic Concerta (all I can afford and still almost $200 a month) and the difference is very subtle. He's still very much HIM which is still sometimes loud and obnoxious but is now able to make decisions about inappropriate behavior. So instead of being curled up in a fetal position sobbing about something that he did wrong that he really wasn't in control of he can now choose not to exhibit that behavior. He's having a great year.

He's still ditzy and forgetfull and I would really like to raise his dosage from 18 to 25 but I have to get his doctor in a good mood first. His Psychologist backs me but his doctor is anti meds and it's like pulling teeth to get her to prescribe more. But since we've lost our insurance changing doctors isn't an option.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

My daughter was on Stratera for a while (ADD, not ADHD). I can SO relate to the sobbing because she can't control her behavior - that used to make me so sad. She's now on Prozac and it seems to be working pretty well - she can't take the standard ADHD drugs like Ritalin and Adderal because she has the same issue I do with them - heart racing, MORE distracted, very upset when she would be due to take a new dose. The Stratera did NOT work (they tried that as a stopgap between the ADHD drugs and an antidepressant). Drug therapy is good, but the behavioral therapy is helping as much. The drug therapy, though, is helping her be in a place where she can USE the behavioral therapy - we tried just BT at first and it was not working.

my son was on Adderall for a short time when he was younger, but within days he was weepy ! :-( and practically suicidal. I took him off of it and the Dr put him back on Ritalin.

he's in his early 20s now, and I wish he would take something to help him out at work, but one of his biggest concerns is the appetite suppressant Ritalin seems to have. He does *alright* without meds, I just feel he'd do *better* with.

My son started on Strattera this summer for ADD. He had learning disabilities, but never an ADD diagnosis throughout his time in school. The diagnosis came up when retesting for accomodations in college. For whatever reason, Strattera works very well for him. I do keep an eye on him because Strattera does have a black box warning. When he first started on the drug, I discussed the side effects, including suicidality with him.

You have to watch this stuff. My BIL had a seriously bad side effect with Chantix. That drug works for so many people, but it was not at all helpful for my BIL.

Back to my son, he has done very well in his first semester of college. I think the drug gives him an ability to focus. His grades are good and he is happy. I also think maturity comes into play as well.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Good things to think about!
    Last night was. awful. I was really happy that I didn't have to heart racing side effects and it really did make me calm and focused throughout the day. I took my last dose (5mg for the total of 15mg) at noon. I tried to go to bed at 11pm but I was just so dang thirsty that I had to get up every 30 min to pee. Then I just laid there. Last time I looked at the clock it was 6:30am. ugh!! I usually take a half pill of an OTC sleep aid and it knocks me right out but it did nothing. May go pick up some melatonin.

I take Vyvanse, which is wonderful. As a child, I took Ritalin and then Concerta through my adolescence. Per "pound" of benefit, Concerta makes me more anxious. You will eventually develop a tolerance to any of these drugs, and as the effectiveness wanes, so do the side effects. For me, the most annoying ones are the sweatiness and dry mouth. I comfort myself by thinking that there is a lot of money to be made on these kinds of drugs, and so hopefully pharmaceutical companies will continue looking for better ones.

If you can't sleep, why is your doctor having you take it mid-day? I take my Vyvanse as SOON as I wake up. Sometimes, if I am crafty, I can take it before I get up, drop back asleep, and sleep a little longer. But at this point I'm habituated enough to even nap in the afternoons
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I would definitely ask about taking it all at once in the morning. If I took mine at noon, I would definitely have trouble falling asleep, unless I was just exhausted. I wouldn't worry too much about the sleep thing, and give your body a few weeks to adjust - because truly I used to have major problems with insomnia and it really has resolved them for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I started out on Adderall. I don't remember the reason for changing that one other than maybe my Doctor wanted to try a more extended release.
    Went to Concerta. That gave me heart palpatations.
    Moved on to Straterra. That one seems to work best for me. I can take it twice a day if I need it.

Moral of the story... if one causes some issue, move on to another. It's a journey.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BravAddict View Post
    If you can't sleep, why is your doctor having you take it mid-day? I take my Vyvanse as SOON as I wake up. Sometimes, if I am crafty, I can take it before I get up, drop back asleep, and sleep a little longer. But at this point I'm habituated enough to even nap in the afternoons
    Wellll that one was my fault, didn't wake up til 11am Although she had told me to take one at 7am when I normally wake up and one around 12. She told me to play around a little with the dose but not to exceed the 20 mg per day that i'm prescribed so since yesterday was my first day, I took 3 doses of 5 mg between 11 and 12. They are instant release though, which is why she thought I would be ok to take my second dose (supposed to be 10 mg) around noon. Maybe I should take my full 15-20mg dose when I wake up at 7 and then leave it at that? I will have to bring that up with her.

I was diagnosed about six months ago, and started on a tiny dose of Vyvanse, with the doctor checking me every thirty days for the first three months. I started on the lowest dose, and the first few days, it was miraculous. Then, I did, as mentioned above, become habituated to it. We upped the dosage slowly, and I'm now on 30 mg a day. I take it first thing in the morning, before I even get out of bed.

I may talk to the Dr about upping the dosage once more, to 40, just to see if that helps a little more. Obviously, getting habituated to it is a concern, as you can't up the dosage ad infinitum, but I will say that, while the miraculous effects are not as obvious now, I did forget to take it one day and it was a HUGE difference, attempting to function without it.

I have not, sadly, had the side effect of depressed appetite -- I was actually hoping for that one! Nor am I having any trouble sleeping. One of the biggest blessings from the meds is how much it has reduced my anxiety. Apparently a lot of my anxiety was from struggling to keep everything in my head, and being terrified I was going to forget something. Getting through a process, such as getting ready for work, has always been a terrible struggle. And let's face it -- I've been going to work for 25+ years now, so I ought to have it figured out. The medicine is not a total miracle, as I still run late to work, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was!

Definitely experiment with the meds available and do some research -- with Adderall and Ritalin, I was surprised to see that taking it with food seriously slowed down its absorption rate. Vyvanse doesn't have that issue, as it is specially coated to not break down until later in the process (which, supposedly, makes it harder to abuse -- I dunno).

Best of luck with it -- the diagnosis has really helped me to see that I wasn't just "failing to work up to my potential."

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

2 members found this post helpful.

Now you all have made me wonder - do those of you that have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD typically struggle with remembering courses and/or dressage tests? I am notorious for forgetting both - I never really thought of it as ADD-related, but I haven't shown much since starting meds, so maybe I just never made the connection .

Have you been tested for dyslexia? Dyslexia has very few patients that swap letters around. Most are misdiagnosed as ADD because the symptoms are so similar. I was misdiagnosed for 20 years.

I was put on adderal when it first came out. I blacked out and started whipping a pony! Dr wanted me to keep trying it but I refused.
    They put me back on dexedrine which 15 years later I'm still struggling with the metabolic damage it caused.

PLEASE PLEASE be careful. Not being able to sleep while taking stimulants doesn't sound like ADHD
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble