The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I had a picture run a little over two years ago. It was creepy how accurate he was. C-R-E-E-P-Y.

GM is also from the old school where you didn't compliment often. I do think he's a bit curmudgeon-y...but in a good way.
    FWIW he is my hero for telling a total poseur pretending to be a trainer at my barn, who had quite a few people snowed, that she could. Not. Ride. It was a good thing. She was one of those people who ruined horses.

And by the way, RugBug, curmudgeonly is an actual word.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    I noted in George's "vintage" PH cover in the recent issue his horse has a big white square pad with a big ugly foam pad on top. Someone should have told him he had too much fleece showing and that a fitted pad is more "traditional" ;-) Oh and if he is so safety minded re: rotation falls, a chin strap on a helmet really helps them stay on.
    Are you being nasty just to be nasty? Was the vintage cover a show picture? We all used square pads with foam for schooling back then. And talking about chin straps is like berating people in the 70s for not using seat belts.

GM can sometimes be a little harsh, but at least he doesn't do it just to be nasty but rather to help people be better riders/horsemen. IMO, we could use more of his attention to detail and perfectionism these days.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post

And by the way, RugBug, curmudgeonly is an actual word.
    Um, thanks?

(I do know it's an actual word. But I often like to get a little Whedonesque on my vocab. Just a thing I do.)

Years ago one of my pictures ran; shot at our local hunter trials. My frequently-difficult horse and I had actually gotten it together and made this one fence pretty-pretty.

George said my "style was an example of overly-mannered posing." This had my friends and I rolling on the floor, because at that time I was a hard-assed dealer's rider whose "equitation" was, shall we say, "highly practical?"

Even The Gods can be wrong . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Years ago one of my pictures ran; shot at our local hunter trials. My frequently-difficult horse and I had actually gotten it together and made this one fence pretty-pretty.

George said my "style was an example of overly-mannered posing." This had my friends and I rolling on the floor, because at that time I was a hard-assed dealer's rider whose "equitation" was, shall we say, "highly practical?"

So say you and your friends anyway.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

5 members found this post helpful.

Are you being nasty just to be nasty? Was the vintage cover a show picture? We all used square pads with foam for schooling back then. And talking about chin straps is like berating people in the 70s for not using seat belts.

GM can sometimes be a little harsh, but at least he doesn't do it just to be nasty but rather to help people be better riders/horsemen. IMO, we could use more of his attention to detail and perfectionism these days.
    pretty sure it was meant in jest, hence the winky face. my point is that even the "great one" isn't always perfect, doesn't always know everything and even the golden olden days had things in them that we find "wrong" now (despite the constant complaint about things being "better" back then - not EVERYthing was better) and the old cover shows it. The point is you can't really take everything that George says as gospel and you have to be able to laugh about it.

I love the Hillbilly link! LOLs for sure.....
    The first horse is the closest I have seen to an old carousel "jumper".
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I love GM and had the pleasure (well it wasn't that pleasurable while actually doing the clinic) of doing a clinic with him many years ago. I had a lovely OTTB that GM loved but he wore me out with my shoulders (I actually have a badly healed collarbone fracture that makes my shoulders uneven) but his tireless pursuit of perfection is sadly missing in a lot of barns I've been in.

Everyone knows GM is a perfectionist and sending in a photo that is dreadful (and a lot of them are really terrible) is your own fault. I haven't sent in a pic yet but I know when I do that my turnout must be faultless, my horse immaculate, and I can only hope my photographer can capture the jump perfectly. I also agree with GM on polishing of boots (I polish mine every night I ride) and I've also had to use fleece girths on my thin skinned TBs but outside of comfort for my horses I look for a clean and traditional look.

I am honestly worried about our sport once we lose that last generation of perfectionists. I see way too much drugging and bad training and bad riding, even weekend warriors should take their sport seriously and train even harder because their time in the saddle is so limited instead of searching for every short cut there is.

7 members found this post helpful.

Um, thanks?

(I do know it's an actual word. But I often like to get a little Whedonesque on my vocab. Just a thing I do.)
    Hahaha I just noticed you're in CA so you've probably been to some of his clinics.

Sorry about the vocab lesson. I have trouble reining in my inner English teacher.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

But I often like to get a little Whedonesque on my vocab. Just a thing I do.
    As in, "GM's orange shirt and rust breeches are un-mixy things"?

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    pretty sure it was meant in jest, hence the winky face. my point is that even the "great one" isn't always perfect, doesn't always know everything and even the golden olden days had things in them that we find "wrong" now (despite the constant complaint about things being "better" back then - not EVERYthing was better) and the old cover shows it. The point is you can't really take everything that George says as gospel and you have to be able to laugh about it.
    That cover doesn't show or prove anything other than there was a period of time when foam pads were used by EVERYONE, even to show in by some. And there was an enormous number of years where EVERYONE, LITERALLY, rode without any kind of chin strap or harness. EVERYONE. When you know better, as we have learned about helmets, you do better.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I wish I could gather all the riders who are interested in the pursuit of perfection in one place so I could make a living. I find that these days most "students" only want praise and easy results.
    As far as GHM's critiques...well, if you dont know what you are in for when you send the picture in, you are guilty of not doing your research!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

That man should have been censured in 2000; http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar...p/t-35814.html
    Why wasn't he ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

Sounds to me like he nailed it. You said yourself this was the only fence you managed to make "look pretty". And he said you looked "posed".
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    That man should have been censured in 2000; http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar...p/t-35814.html
    Why wasn't he ?
    Because most people are smart enough to recognize a freak accident when they see one?

Wasn't there recently a horse impaled with a cross country flag? Should someone be censured for that incident as well?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    As in, "GM's orange shirt and rust breeches are un-mixy things"?
    A world of yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Hahaha I just noticed you're in CA so you've probably been to some of his clinics.

Sorry about the vocab lesson. I have trouble reining in my inner English teacher.
    I actually haven't been able to take a clinic with him but it's been on my list for years. He only does 3' and up in CA (or within a few hours of me) and I haven't never quite been ready, myself or my horse. I get close and then something happens. And I will not go to a clinic unless I am prepared. That would just be asking for no fun. I'm not a personal fan of setting myself up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    That cover doesn't show or prove anything other than there was a period of time when foam pads were used by EVERYONE, even to show in by some. And there was an enormous number of years where EVERYONE, LITERALLY, rode without any kind of chin strap or harness. EVERYONE. When you know better, as we have learned about helmets, you do better.
    Let me get this right. So it's ok for GM to follow a trend whenever. But for an eventer to be say following a trend now and wearing bright colors it's not ok? Don't you er...see anything a little hypocritical about that? That is my point - it's just one guys opinion and at one moment of time (his opinion and your still shot). It really can't be taken too seriously.

RugBug...if you get the chance to audit one of his clinics...it's so very much worth it. Darned near as good as riding in it, seriously.

Back in my youth I rode a couple of clinics when I could afford it and he was somewhat nearby, but I audited every time I possibly could. Sometimes I felt as if a little more of the info and tips stuck better when auditing because I didn't have to pay attention to anything but GM and could better watch the other riders, etc. A nice, no pressure way to learn a lot.

RockfordBuckeye...those weren't so much trends as much as there weren't any other options/fashions, LOL! You weren't showing with a square pad because baby pads weren't in fashion, or showing without a safety harness because they weren't in fashion. There weren't other options really. Your options were showing with your little elastic strap under your chin or over your brim. Or schooling with your numnah and showing with your square pad. Or, if you're old enough, no pad.
    Not that we had any better sense when it came to actual fashion...canary britches and madras coats were a *bad* idea even then LMAO!

I agree with ignoring the rider turnout advice from GM when it comes to eventers, he's never going to like the bright or mixed colors. And his opinion on your color choices don't matter.
    However, his opinion on horse and rider jumping? Kinda does matter. Like him or lump him...his vast experience with literally countless horses and riders over many multiple decades and his success in doing so speaks for itself. Discount his personality or color opinions...but listen to his other advice with an open mind. He's right probably 98% of the time...even on a still photo. Annoying to many, but right.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Sounds to me like he nailed it. You said yourself this was the only fence you managed to make "look pretty". And he said you looked "posed".
    Actually, Lady Eboshi said "pretty-pretty." Even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    RugBug...if you get the chance to audit one of his clinics...it's so very much worth it. Darned near as good as riding in it, seriously.
    I have actually audited once. It was an amazing experience and I learned a ton.
    I wanted to audit this year, but he was teaching while I was riding with Joe Fargis (which also a great experience in its own right)

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue
    I agree with ignoring the rider turnout advice from GM when it comes to eventers, he's never going to like the bright or mixed colors. And his opinion on your color choices don't matter.
    However, his opinion on horse and rider jumping? Kinda does matter. Like him or lump him...his vast experience with literally countless horses and riders over many multiple decades and his success in doing so speaks for itself. Discount his personality or color opinions...but listen to his other advice with an open mind. He's right probably 98% of the time...even on a still photo. Annoying to many, but right.
    Absolutely. There are portions of his "advice" which are strictly his opinions on current fashion. Ignore it if you'd like. But you'd be silly to ignore the rest because he is VERY knowledgable and CAN see a lot in just one picture. Each of us has been given a brain. We should use it to think critically and not just follow blindly. If you throw the baby out with the bath water, well that's your loss.