The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Last shot - home needed for 2 yo male Kuvasz with behavioral problems - NJ

My friends do foster for a Kuvasz rescue. They have a lot of experience & have rehabbed many troubled dogs into solid citizens & placed them in good homes. They've literally helped 100s of dogs so they know what they are doing.

In spite of this good handling, this boy is still unpredictably biting. He was given up by a family for biting a kid. He has bitten both of the foster couple. Apparently he can be good & friendly for some time, & then out of the blue snap at someone. My male friend is closer to him, plays tug of war & takes him on walks. He thinks he can be rehabbed with more time, but my girlfriend (correctly I think - she has boarders with kids on the place) sees him as a dangerous liability. The rescue that placed him with them has irresponsibly bailed on offering any help.

He most definitely is not a candidate for a normal pet home, but maybe someone is out there with a big farm & flock guardian dog experience that thinks they might want to try? You'd have to sign a release stating you know you are taking on a dangerous dog.

He has an appointment to be euthed Monday night. Not necesarily the wrong thing to do, of course, but I just thought I'd post his story here in case anyone thought they might have a home for a troubled Kuvasz. Long shot, I know.

If interested PM me & I will give you the foster dad's phone #.

Having gone through this with the rescue I volunteered with, have they tried a good behavorist? My recommendation was to euth, it's just too much of a liability to the rescue and the foster/adopter.

Hope this all works out for the best.

Shame on that rescue! They can be held legally responsible you know. I'd threaten them with a lawsuit. That's total BS.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

There are too many safe nice dogs to take a chance on this one. That breed is too big and can cause too much damage if he bites somebody, especially if he is willing to bite a kid.

I will admit being surprised the foster dad was playing tug of war. It is my understanding that that is generally not a good idea.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

Did you post his info in the Farm section?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Just cross posted in Around the Farm & Giveaways.

Yeah this rescue has been iffy for awhile, never been really been great to deal with but my friends have 55 acre farm & big hearts & couldn't turn away desperate dogs.

I agreed to help my friend transport to vet on Monday eve (I have caged back seat) and it's just heart breaking you know?

I know she is doing the right thing, but just had to put word out here just in case....

Agree tug a war not good idea for biter, but just pointing out dog can be handled, goes in crate, is housebroken, etc - not 100% viscious. But the unpredictability is the deal breaker

I'm very sorry for your friends. But I think he needs to be euthed. To much of a danger.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post

I agreed to help my friend transport to vet on Monday eve (I have caged back seat) and it's just heart breaking you know?
    I'm sorry for the dog, but honestly? He needs a great day, some treats and a kind hand at the end. There are far, far worse things that happen to dogs than death

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah I agree. Some dogs, l ike people, are just born with a screw loose. A dog that size could kill an adult, much less a child.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

"When a human/horse/dog/any critter shows you who they are, believe them" has been a good way to evaluate where questionable situations are going.

I think this dog has shown many times who he is.
    Doesn't sound like he bit once when cornered and will never happen again, but that he is quick to bite under normal situations biting should not happen.
    Sorry, that is not acceptable to keeping others around him safe.

Apparently he can be good & friendly for some time, & then out of the blue snap at someone.

probably not what they want to get into at this time, but has dog been thoroughly assessed by a vet (sounds like it could be pain related - except this would be $$ & nothing may change) or treated for hypothyroid (re Jean Dodd's Hemopet thyroid panel - not too expensive & may make the guy feel better about the situation).

In the meantime, dog could be clicker trained to happily wear a muzzle & maybe GF would relent while BF continues to work with the dog. (can't tell from your post how long they've had this dog)

Have they reached out to behaviourist trainers to see if anyone is willing to take the dog?