The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Consignment Scam

X
    Last edited by ThePeltonEquestrianExperience; Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePeltonEquestrianExperience View Post
    I am looking for any information or statements regarding Elizabeth Bateman and LowCountry Tack LLC. I purchased a brown Crosby Prix St. George Sofride Dressage saddle from her in July and was told she would sell it back to the original owner December 3rd. After a month of unreturned communication attempts, she is off the grid and the business no longer operates. I have not received the check or any information or updates on payment.

I refuse to get scammed or swindled by another crook in this area "industry" and will be pursuing this to the fullest extent of the law. I will offer a reward to those who provide information on her whereabouts.

I would not have given this saddle up if I wasn't under the impression it was a done deal. The saddle itself is easily worth up between $800 and $1,500 through private and consignment sales listed online.
    OK, I heard about your Savannah CL ad at the barn this morning.
    Is this owner sick or did she just close her store? I've heard different versions.
    I haven't bought there, I only dealt with Natalie and Krete and Lucy when they had tack shops in Bluffton.

How do you return a saddle four or five months after you buy it?
    And which other "crooks" are you talking about in SC and GA coastal?
    ok so I googled, and the pelton equestrian experience is now renting the staffordshire barn on bluejay road in rincon? That barn has turned over several times in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 30, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

I dunno, just me, but from the tone of the OP, I wouldn't want to deal with Pelton at all. With that attitude, I'd avoid him/her, too. Just sayin'....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like I need to clarify a little from the replies: I was contacted by this person and was told the original owner of the saddle I purchased wanted to buy it back. The tack store owner also expressed that there was some drama and it was in my best interest to sell it back to her. Thinking I was helping her out, I went for it.

After two weeks of no contact from a person who, in prior dealings had never hesitated to call me back, I got concerned. After another two weeks of going straight to voicemail, I got hosed. She has my address and email. There is no excuse for not updating me on the situation.

This is an attempt to gain some information on this person so that I can help others if they have been robbed and accurately pursue this situation.

I am owed money or my saddle back and that will happen either through a legal purusit or by receiving the check tht is owed to me.
    Last edited by ThePeltonEquestrianExperience; Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Why didn't you require payment at the time you returned the saddle?

4 members found this post helpful.

I know her personally and wouldn't consider her a scammer. That said, I haven't had any actual contact with her in a few years since I moved out of the area. As per her Facebook, she was having some pretty serious health problems in the fall. Perhaps that's why she's fallen off the grid?

ETA- I'm also curious about the other "crooks" in the area. I lived there for 21 years and while I met lots of crazies I wouldn't consider any of them crooks.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Dani, from what i heard at the barn this morning, you are right.

I think there will be a going out of business sale. Hopefully then OP will get her money.

ETA I don't often go over to the UDBB (I have about 10 posts in 3 or 4 yrs there) but a year or two ago, one poster got grinched at Xmas. Instead of being indignant , she wrote a post about how things must have gone wrong with her elf, etc. A very nice post. Turns out, the elf had died. So maybe Op here could wait till after the holidays to find out whether or not the owner of the tack shop is ill, or just didn't pay her.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jan. 8, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: total spelling failure

Here's my latest update. Let me state the following:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment and suggest ideas and options.

I agree I made a bad choice in leaving the saddle without receiving payment first. It was a gesture of good faith, like most do when they are trusting a supposed industry professional.

I am making this situation public because I would like to assist any others that have been unknowingly involved in this scam. I am putting my name on the line to fight for myself and those being hosed with their hard earned money. While there are plenty of integrity based, well meaning professionals in the horse industry, there are also scam artists that seem to get by because there is no true regulating force overseeing the nebulous business standards of the horse industry of the US.

I am excited to be helping at least four individuals that have contacted me with similar situations- they have saddles that were left on consignment, supposedly sold and told the following stories. 1). The original purchaser's check bounced, 2). The "accountant" handled mailing the check and she will "check on it" 3). She is desperately interviewing for jobs to pay back her clients because so many of her customers bounced checks.

In my case, I found out I actually know the original owner of the saddle in question and got her side of the story. She didn't want to buy my saddle back, she had left it for two months on consignment, told it had sold and my check bounced. I paid for this saddle and another at the same time with a debit card pulling $1,100 from a checking account that contained $4,000 in it. My colleague (who is supporting me in remedy-ing the situation) had been hounding The tack store owner for months to get her saddle or her money and I was lied to in order for The owner to get her saddle to her and cover her mistake. I am lucky that through my research it turned out I know the original owner or I would not know this.

Two other of my contacts have saddles still in her possession. This business no longer exists. She is hiding from those she has scammed. Please contact me if you would like to be included in my campaign or would be interested in my afore mentioned criminals.

In the case of a health issue, call, email, text. Do something in good faith to make sure your well meaning and loyal customers understand your situation when you have neglected to make any effort to live up to your end of the agreement. It is part of doing business and maintaining positive client relationships.

Be informed consumers, alert your barn buddies. Do not let someone's unfortunate business practices dictate what happens to your valuable items.
    Last edited by ThePeltonEquestrianExperience; Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Well one of the people who contacted you, OP, had given the store owner money to order breeches, not a saddle. And you know what the owner said about the refund she is to get. (No she hasn't gotten a refund yet, but the owner of the tack shop did contact her and said she would get a refund.)

But Dani and I want to know who the "other crooks" are. You're over at the old Staffordshire barn, so you probably deal with some of the same people that I and my horse friends deal with. And while we've known some "crooks" in the horse business here, we would like to know if there are some we've dealt with and not identified yet.

Correct, that person is not included in my "saddle people". My crooks are still in South Carolina, which is why I am operating in a quiet, functional area now. I'll shoot you a message so we can "swap crooks". Haha
    Claire Pelton
    The Pelton Equestrian Experience
    Precision Training and Management of Horse and Rider Teams