The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bad Haircut

So....I went to a friend to get my hair cut. I had originally stopped going to her because I didn't like all the short layers she kept putting in my hair. The last time I got upset with her and we had a bit of a scuffle.

After a year of growing out the layers and going to another hair dresser I finally had my hair just about all one length and long. Also it had thickness to it, that had been missing because of the short layers

I stupidly went back to said friend for a cut. Well...all the short layers are back and I hate my hair I don't even know how it happened. I told her I finally liked my hair and to just cut a little bit and maybe spruce up the layers. I was so distracted by our discussion and she curled my hair, so I didn't see it at first. Only the next day when my hair was straight did I notice.

I am just so unhappy with my hair. It's thinned out again and flat. I hate the short pieces and then the long pieces and It's going to take forever for this crap to grow out again. I just don't understand what her fascination is with this hair cut or why she would do this. I'm just so very sad. I know it's just stupid to cry over a haircut but I can't help it.

Has anyone used extensions? Have any bad hair stories to cheer me up?

My mom gave me a bowl cut, a pixie cut and many of those horrible 70s home perms.

I looked like a boy, a boy, and a cracked out sheep during the Disco Age.

Your friend is kind of a poopoo head. I am friends with a gal who owns her own shop, I have never let her cut my hair because she is so bossy and territorial. NO WAY!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Between ninth and tenth grade I went to the local hairdresser (the type of shop where the hair dressers are always wearing curlers, and scuff slippers-I'm not sure that type of place still exists, at least I hope not) and said make it short and cute. It was so short people didn't know if I was a boy or girl, and my father whined about it until it grew out. Considering he was bald he should have shut up.

Some hairdressers only do one hair style, all of their customers look alike, and they don't care what you want. I would go take pot luck at the Walmart hair dresser before I'd go back to her. Ask around and find someone who actually listens to their customer, go see them, and tell them you want to grow it out to what you had, and have them trim it to fix obvious errors, and go back monthly or every six weeks to have it trimmed as it grows out, when it's more even let it grow to the length you want, and never let the other woman near your head again.

And you don't have to go to a high cost shop to find a good hairdresser, because mine is the manager at Hair Masters, and she listens very well to what I want, and she makes suggestions, or tells me if something might not work, but she does what I want.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Ya know, Jan. I go to Walmart for trims. I have long, straight hair and they just bang off the ends a few times a year. It's great!

I have never understood the layer thing. It always looks skimpy and flat to me?
    The Knotted Pony

Take a photo of your hair and put it in your phone directory next to said friends name...as a reminder.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Seriously, get to a better hair dresser to make a plan for growing it out. You cant just let it grow and hope it will look better.

I like LauraKYs suggestion LOL
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post

I have never understood the layer thing. It always looks skimpy and flat to me?
    Layers work great for certain types of hair. My hair is really long, thick, and curly, so I get layers to help shape the curls better and make it a little lighter on my head.

That being said, not everyone needs layers, and if done poorly, they look really bad.

Layers. If you have as much hair as I do, layers are a necessity. LMEqT has long, to the middle of her back, gobs of very fine CURLY hair that if not layered carefully by a very good stylist, looks like a huge ball of mess.

Some hair needs layers. Some, not so much. Let me just mention... IMO unless you have very healthy, very youthful hair (and it is long).. Some layers are probably helpful. And... Never trust a mans "opinion" of your hair. IME they loke whatever style you are wearing just fine OR they think all long hair is pretty.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I had hair extensions once. They were the kind that they put on with microbeads. I looked liked some kind of street walking stripper. They were in my hair a total of maybe 8 hours. My husband was up at midnight with a pair of needle nose pliers breaking the beads as I sobbed and screeched, "DON'T BREAK OFF THE REAL HAIR". It took HOURS to get those suckers out.

In his defense, he told me not to do it. I told him not to rain on my parade. God, he is a good man. What other husband would remove hair extensions with his manly tools in the middle of the night?

See you just have to look at your situation glass half full. Not only did my extensions fail but I was left with an awful hair cut.

I have lots of bad hair stories, but that is by far the worst.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Thanks for the stories, they made me laugh

The problem is my hair is fine. I have alot of it but it's fine so the layers, which are intended to give it some body, imo make it look thinner unless I style it. Also it's quite layered around my face which is really what's bothering me the most.

The hair's not terrible but I just don't like it. My plan is to let it grow for a month or so and then go back to the hair dresser that helped me grow it out before. I'll probably just trim a tiny bit off the layers and bring up the longer layers a couple of inches and go from there.

LauraKY great idea lol! and I won't be going back again. Learned my lesson

SFrost...you have a very good husband!

Thanks again everyone! I know a bad haircut is just so trivial, but I'm surprised at just how upset it made me.

Ugh, I've had too many awful haircuts to tell about. Getting my haircut ended up being such a horrible experience that around the age of 15 I just stopped going. My hair was stupidly long and had split ends, but it was still better than a horrible cut! I, too, have fine, thin hair, so layers done wrong are horrible. They cause my hair to flip out Carol Brady style and just look plain bad in general.

I finally have a hairdresser who I LOVE. I saw my coworker had a fantastic haircut, so I asked where she went. My hairdresser actually listens to what I want and gets all the stupid/non-industry standard terms I use to try to describe what I want my hair to look like. I trust her, which is something I never thought I'd say about a hairdresser ever again!!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

This thread is worthless without pictures! That said, I ain't posting them! I have had every bad haircut known to man and woman, and I just will not learn. I am the eternal cheapskate when it comes to haircuts, and if I can cut my own hair and make it look half decent, I will (god bless me, I've tried, and I can't). I've had my daughter "trim" it, I've gone to various cut-rate places, and I have "that" friend as well (love her, but learned not to let her dye my hair, at least, because ALL her dye jobs look alike - skunk stripes and all). My daughter, who is almost 18, finally sat me down and told me I have to find someone who is decent to cut my darned hair.

THAT sobered me up (do you really want to be THAT mom?). So at my last gathering of friends, I asked some of them, and they have MAGNIFICENT hair, who they use. Well, the only person who piped up, god love her; well, now I'm terrified I'll be stuck forever with her asking if I've called her stylist yet. We do NOT want to go there. I'm thinking of moving states...

Why?
    ---

Well, I was hoping to get some good recommendations for hair (some of the women have stunning haircuts) but the only recommendation I got is from the ONE person at the gathering who did NOT have stunning hair. Unfortunately. Overprocessed color, shag cut, which doesn't suit my hair texture. The other women, on hearing her pipe up, immediately shut down. Apparently they didn't want to throw out recommendations on top of hers, and now am I supposed to go around saying "well, I don't really like her hairstyle, so can I get YOUR stylist?" I will, of course, being a bit more discrete (probably will say something along the lines of I am trying to collect MULTIPLE recs) but this person is my closest friend at the gathering so I felt really conflicted.

Eeek! Maybe you can email someone with no further explanation?
    ---

Um. Wow.

I am thankful I am a tomboy! Go get your dang hair cut any way you like. Stop someone in the store if you like their hair and ask them!

I get mine banged off at Wallyworld every few months or so, use the bleach or dye with the one chick on the cover and sometimes I forget which one so the shade can vary. All in all, I like it, it can look nice or just be under a hat.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...073034_n-2.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps070a162a.jpg
    The Knotted Pony

I had a dream - I was using hair clippers with an attachment so I couldn't cut my hair less than an inch. Somehow it fell offf. I was relieved when I woke up - ididnt have bald tracks

1 members found this post helpful.

And for the most part, for most of my life, I have been fortunate enough to have hair that just looks good no matter what I do to it (and yeah, I dye it myself). I am now growing out a short cut, though, and it needs some TLC.

Fabulous Moody! I haven't had short hair since my mother gave me that pixie cut back in the day LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

I had long mid back length hair as a teen, I went in for a perm and told the stylist that my hair takes to being curly very well even though it was bone straight when I walked in. I just want big beachy waves. So she starts with the little teeny tiny rollers and I stopped her and said, I wanted the big one inchers. She told me I did not know what I was talking about and she knew better. So she permed my hair and when the timer dinged she started to unravel poodle tight curls. I cried and cried in the chair. She was so sorry.

I washed it out the next morning and I had the big loose waves I wanted.

But yea, bad hair cuts suck.

I have been tight on cash so going to a higher end salon is out of the question currently so I have been going to beauty schools for trims and I have to be super clear on what I want. I have walked out with some pretty bad hack jobs.