The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    skin reflects your internal health. If you're healthy, you don't need to put stuff on your face, and I really don't believe that any wash, scrub, or lotion will dramatically change anything. If you don't like how your skin looks, look at the rest of your life- your diet, your exercise, your stress levels.

Most "skin aging" is caused by the sun, so wear a hat and stay out of the sun. Or wear your wrinkles proudly.
    Except as a black person I am in a constant battle with ash. So I have used lotion since I was a child. Nutrition and health aside, if I don't have lotion I look like a reptile sprinkled with powder. Of course this is worse in the winter when it is very dry than in the summer when it is humid.

I do not wear make up.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Late to the party as usual, but frankly, I prefer the Origins line and have used them for at least the last 10 years. Point is, they have several products for different stages of your skin. Early 30s I liked and used the Perfect World line. Now, at the shiny side of 50, I swear by Dr. Weil's Mega Mushroom stuff.

Either way, I like the GinZing eye cream. Got some as a sample 2 weeks ago and am using it daily. FABulous stuff, for any age.

I will say, regardless of the manufacturer, sunscreen. But that's a given.

Ditto the suggestion to check with your dermatologist. I started having some acne on top of melasma (thanks BC pills) and it turns out I also had rosacea! Ive been on some meds for the rosacea for a few months now and the acne is totally gone now as well as a lot of the random splotchy redness.

As far as skin care, I wash in the AM with Clean and Clear morning burst face wash. I use mostly MAC makeup... foundation, powder, eyeliner and mascara mostly. At night I use makeup remover wipes followed by my rosacea gel and then Cetaphil moisturizer.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I have found that my face didn't like ANY type of cleansers no matter how gentle or natural they say they were. I have an acne problem, (but I'm still young, 25, but should be out growing this by now). I heard about using oatmeal, so I did. I chopped it up fine in a food processor so it went down the drain better. Just wet your face, wet the oatmeal into a paste and rub it all over your face. It feels WONDERFUL!!!! So soothing! kinda a pain to rinse.

I also couldn't find a moisturizer that didn't leave my face too dry and oily. (i have combination skin) What made me think putting straight oil would leave it not "oily", but I started using organic coconut oil. Again, it's amazing!!! My acne cleared up within a week and I can now go out in public without the need to wear makeup.

I heard of using raw honey (natural antibiotic, and drawing agent) for the breakouts. Haven't tried it yet, didn't need to after oatmeal and coconut oil.

I also wash my face 2x a day now. I'm afraid to use sunscreen on my face because it's so sensitive, but I have very very fair skin, so I wear my mineral makeup because it has a sunscreen in it that never caused a problem.

Oh, and coconut oil makes a GREAT makeup remover, put a little on, wipe it off! It doesn't feel like it's stripping your skin of everything, like all the makeup removers I have tried do.

[QUOTE=Tobias;6821170
    I also wash my face 2x a day now. I'm afraid to use sunscreen on my face because it's so sensitive, but I have very very fair skin, so I wear my mineral makeup because it has a sunscreen in it that never caused a problem.[/QUOTE]

If you can get to Sephora, ask for a sample of Boscia's Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF 15. It's wonderful---so lightweight you don't feel like you're wearing anything. The entire Boscia line is made for sensitive skin. Their gentle cleansing gel is really good too. I'm cheap when it comes to sunscreen but I love this stuff and wear it every day.

Coconut oil bothers my eyes-I like the stuff but I can't have it around my eyes.

My skin care now is Dove soap occasionally mixed with a little white sugar as a scrub and olive oil or coconut oil to moisturize. Cheap and as effective as anything else I've used.

Honey is antibacterial so I can see that working on blemishes and I know a teenager that uses tea tree oil and says it works better than any prescription stuff he ever tried.

One thing someone mentioned above that I will endorse a million times over: wear a hat with a brim!! I do wear sunscreen every day, but a hat is essential. I am now to the point where I cower in the shade if I don't have one.

The sun accelerates everything & she is NOT your friend. I learned this by seeing ppl in my sailing club age....eesh. Not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    I LOVE my dermalogica stuff! They have some fabulous stuff that has kept my skin clear for a year.
    Just started using these products and love them. My aging, sun damaged, poster child for sunblock skin has never looked healthier or better.

Just want to give another plug to the Oil Cleansing Method. It's been a few months and it's been the best skin care product I've ever used on my flaky, oily skin. It's smooth and soft, even in the winter, when my skin goes into flake mode.

So cheap, so easy! I do about 1/3 castor oil, and 3/4 sunflower oil.

Okay I'm trying something new on the suggestion of a friend of mine. It's probably old hat, but I'm a soap and water kind of gal so it's new to me. She said to use the oil (I have some jasmine/vanilla massage oil from Bath/Body Works) when I'm still wet, give it a few and then buff it off. So right in the shower after I turn off the water I rub it on all over. Of course it takes on a cloudy imulsion, but then I let it dry a bit and then buffed it off. So far so good on the ash front, and I haven't broken out on my face. It's only been two days.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yes, I think that would work great for dry skin!

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    If you can get to Sephora, ask for a sample of Boscia's Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF 15. It's wonderful---so lightweight you don't feel like you're wearing anything. The entire Boscia line is made for sensitive skin. Their gentle cleansing gel is really good too. I'm cheap when it comes to sunscreen but I love this stuff and wear it every day.

Hmm I'll have to try that! I love that they give samples for everything.

My sister has some that she found that is very gentle, most sunscreens burn her face, but this didn't...the problem, it's only found in Japan. But it's light weight and doesn't feel greasy. We have lots of friends in Japan, so each year they bring some over for her. lol. it's SPF 50. I might try hers too.

I have super sensitive, combo, acne-prone skin. Fun! Any new product, even a lip gloss or lip balm, causes me to break out until my skin adjusts.

My skin routine has been a trial-and-error experiment since I was a teen. 10-15 years ago, skin care lines were for "normal" "dry" or "oily" and my skin didn't fit into any one category and suffered - a lot. "Oily skin" products were sooo harsh that my sensitive skin would break out even worse. Luckily, combination skin products came out soon and sensitive skin products were right behind. Now I use a combination of skin care products and routinely have people compliment me on my complexion...which blows me away!

Winter Routine (gets soo dry up here):
    AM:
    -Wash face with tepid, slightly cool water. No cleanser.
    - Boscia Clear Complexion Treatment with Botanical Blast gel
    - Oil of Olay SPF 15 moisturiser for sensitive skin (Oil of Olay moisturizers work better for my skin than even the expensive ones)
    - Dab of Nivea or Christian Dior eye cream in the corners of my eyes

PM:
    - Wash with Ole Henrickson African Red Tea foaming cleanser
    - Boscia Gel again
    - Oil of Olay night moisturizer for sensitive skin

Three days a week I exfoliate with Ole Henrickson New Beginning Skin Scrub. It's the gentlest exfoliator and the only one that doesn't irritate the heck out of my skin.
    Once a week I use the Ole Henrickson Blueberry/Blackberry enzyme masque. I usually use the mask, then the scrub to take it off. My skin is hydrated, plump, and glowing. Best of all, I only need to use half the normal amount of lotion to hydrate my skin.

I also believe the best skin comes from the inside. My diet is 80% fruits and vegetables and it shows in my skin. I used to have to use an illuminator/brightener to get a nice 'glow' but now it's all-natural. Fruits, veggies, 3 liters of water a day, a tbsp of flax seed a day, and a bunch of healthy fats in my diet made a huge difference in my skin.

Since my skin is so sensitive, I also wash my sheets, pillow cases, comforter, towels twice a week and have a different towel for my face, hands, and post-shower.

I'm lucky in that i don't need much for my skin to look OK, which is the only way my skin's been kind to me lately! I wash it with clean n clear daily pore cleanser whenever I think of it, a few times a week maybe, though I'll use whatever soap is within reach if I've put on sunscreen, which is almost every day (though I rinse it off while still at work some days). I was haven problems when I was trying all different types of sunscreen for my face. The only thing I can use regularly without breaking out is the most awesome sunscreen ever, but it's hardcore with zinc oxide so you have to apply it in front of a mirror unless you want to look like Caspar. But it's called obagi nu derm, spf 50. It leaves my face not oily or sweaty looking, and is really soft to the touch once it dries. It has a price tag to match, but i found it on Amazon for only 25 bucks (only, lol! Compared to the derm office price of 50!!).
    Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses.... that's my skin care regimen.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Neutrogena clear soap. Comes in a bar. Its awesome. But I hated how it smelled, so I switched to the liquid Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash. I use it every night, and moisturize with Oil of Olay Regenerist, and Mary Kay eye cream.

The thing that has kept my skin the clearest is.........drinking more water. I don't drink anything but coffee or water, and I haven't had a breakout in about 3 years.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I also wash my face 2x a day now. I'm afraid to use sunscreen on my face because it's so sensitive, but I have very very fair skin, so I wear my mineral makeup because it has a sunscreen in it that never caused a problem.
    I use this: http://www.sephora.com/protect-daily...?skuId=1242304 and seriously LOVE it. Sunscreen has always quite literally made my face burn, and when I've found a rare one that doesn't, it has the weird, slick/tacky sunscreen feel that I abhor. This one provokes NO reaction, is nicely moisturizing, has a super-beefy SPF 40 to keep the wrinkles at bay, and best of all, dries down to a really natural finish--it's awesome on a bare face or under makeup. I literally can't recommend it enough.

One tip--pick this stuff up at Sephora or a similar store. That way you can return anything if it doesn't work out and aren't out the $$ if products end up irritating your skin.

Curious about the Oil Cleansing routine, but I canNOT stand the smell of coconuts! I see a lot of posters saying it's great for cleansing and moisturizing, does EVOO and/or castor oil blends also cleanse? I'm definitely changing to more natural products (vs. processed/chemical) in both diet and skin/hair care.

I've been having some serious acne issues that are mostly hormonal, which is very new. I was the lucky teen with 1 or 2 blemishes and I just rinsed in the shower, no moisturizer, no special products. I barely used sunscreen back then... (I do use it now!). My chin/mouth area gets "attacked" particularly, I don't know why, it doesn't seem any different oil-wise from the rest of my face. I started using Aveeno's Clear Complexion after I needed a boost in moisture moving into a wood heated house. The salicylic acid in it helps with the mild psoriasis outbreaks I get occasionally, also fairly new...

I drink tons of water, take Omega 3 supplements and eat fairly healthy. My hair is in awesome shape considering it touches the top of my butt! Smoking also ages skin, but I've never touched a cigarette (legel or illegal variety) in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Curious about the Oil Cleansing routine, but I canNOT stand the smell of coconuts! I see a lot of posters saying it's great for cleansing and moisturizing, does EVOO and/or castor oil blends also cleanse? I'm definitely changing to more natural products (vs. processed/chemical) in both diet and skin/hair care.
    We used to get a coconut oil from henry's, or Sprouts farmers market. It was organic, and unscented. You could never tell it was from a coconut.
    this is what we used: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...MAE#ps-sellers

now we get the stuff from Costco, it smells like coconut, but I don't mind. :-)

I was turned onto Paula's Choice products a few years ago and love them. She has her own line of products out and also reviews other cosmetics products. If you want to learn more, check out her book Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. I use a gentle cleanser, anti-oxidant serum, BHA exfoliant, and lotion (and sunscreen when I work outside-super important). I also use Cerave and Cetaphil lotions.

Her website is paulaschoice.com or check out beautypedia.com