The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've had gross skin my entire life, and I'm almost 30 :-(. I've tried everything from Proactive, to homemade soaps, and nothing helped. I kept hearing about people that wash their face with EVOO, and I thought "No way! my skin is way too greasy for that to work!".

Well I finally gave in, and I've been washing my face with a homemade EVOO sugar scrub for three weeks and this is the clearest my skin has been in a long time. I rinse it off, and it leaves a slight oily feeling, but after I get dried off I don't notice it. I've stopped having to moisturize and I don't have to wash my face halfway through my work day. My skin isn't perfect, but I've been able to get rid of the two or three big blemish that just keep coming back in the same areas. I still have some tiny clogged pores, but over all my skin is much happier. I'm not battling too dry or too greasy, and no big blemishes (even right before my period!)

The theory behind it makes sense, and it's worked great for me so far. I urge you to try it for a week or two.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I switched to Arbonne products back in April and my skin has never been better or softer. I've actually lost some wrinkles/laugh lines. I do get a pimple or two right before my period starts, but that didn't start until I hit perimenopause. Yay hormones.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I've been using the Oil Cleansing Method with olive oil for about 8 months now and my skin has never looked better. No longer do I have an oily T-zone and dry flakey cheeks, I feel moisturized without feeling like I've got goop on my face, and the texture has improved. I have mild Rosacea and it's not even noticeable. And, I've stopped wearing mineral makeup on my face and go bare-faced every day (still need eye makeup though). With suncreen, of course.

Experimenting with grapeseed oil as a light moisturizer is working out really well too. It absorbs quickly and has made my skin brighter. Most of my life has been spent being embarassed by blemishes and greasy skin; now I get compliments.

1 members found this post helpful.

I take a shower. Then I don't care.

I LOVE my dermalogica stuff! They have some fabulous stuff that has kept my skin clear for a year.

I have to reiterate that for some people salicylic (sp?) acid will give you pimples. I broke out a few years ago and even my dermatologist didn't figure it out. I figured it out on my own. Any type of fruit acid or acidic product for me is bad.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Very interesting about the oil cleansing. I've started experimenting with all natural skin and hair products and am really impressed so far. I've been using a grape seed oil/brown sugar scrub on my face and body and the oil leaves my skin amazingly soft and free of redness (great for after shaving too-no more red bumps!) but I had no idea it could be used as a cleanser, going to have to give it a try!

Also started using coconut oil as a makeup remover and it works better than any store bought brand, also leaves the skin really smooth and soft.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Are there any OTC oil cleansing products that I can find at like, Walmart? LOL! I'm lazy and would prefer to buy rather than make...

Last fall I went from using birth control pills to the Depo Shot, and starting getting clogged pore breakout...they are like cysts when I get them, those annoying deep ones. Other places like my eyebrow location, I get like a small pimples that I can pop (which i know I'm not supposed to do....)

Anywho, I asked my OBGYN about Depo causing acne. She said its likely not the Depo causing it, but the stopping of the pills that are allowing it to breakout...basically, the pills help stop acne breakouts, and now that I'm not on the pill, I'm returning to my "baseline" which is to have acne [I've been on the pill since 15, I'm now 26]

I am going to talk to my dermatologist to see what I can do. I thought this summer the acne was from sweating all day out in the sun at horse shows, but its been winter now for months, and I"m still breaking out,.

I have been using Clearasil Daily Facewash and moisturing with Neurtogena for Conbination Skin (oily forhead, dry cheeks...). Its made it better, but I'm still having breakouts.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Origins has a pre-made oil cleanser.

Soap, water, lotion. I do use a facial moisturizer instead of body lotion on my face, and it's hypoallergenic because I break out.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Are there any OTC oil cleansing products that I can find at like, Walmart? LOL! I'm lazy and would prefer to buy rather than make...
    Got olive oil, hot water and a washcloth? It's that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
    Origins has a pre-made oil cleanser.
    I also understand that Moroccan argan oil is supposed to be good for oily/breakout prone skin. (I use it on my hair and love, love, love the stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    Got olive oil, hot water and a washcloth? It's that easy.
    I found a site that uses castor oil & sunflower oil (or EVOO).

Can I just use olive oil?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I found a site that uses castor oil & sunflower oil (or EVOO).

Can I just use olive oil?
    I use just olive oil. a lot of ppl recommend blending the two, using a higher % of the castor oil if you skin is less dry. I started with the blend, found that the castor oil actually stripped too much for me.

I do the OCM, as well, and love it. I use Castor oil (I get a big bottle of cold pressed at Whole Foods - lasts me about a year) & EVOO. I just got a squirt type bottle from Target, mix the oils together (I also add a few drops of tea tree oil, but that's optional) and I'm good to go for about 2-3 months before I have to mix more. Couldn't be easier, really.
    My skin has never been happier since I started this a year and a half ago or so.

ETA: I also use Vitamin E Oil from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods as a moisturizer at night & that has also worked wonders for me!

skin reflects your internal health. If you're healthy, you don't need to put stuff on your face, and I really don't believe that any wash, scrub, or lotion will dramatically change anything. If you don't like how your skin looks, look at the rest of your life- your diet, your exercise, your stress levels.

Most "skin aging" is caused by the sun, so wear a hat and stay out of the sun. Or wear your wrinkles proudly.

67 here. Use foundation, mascara, eyeliner & eyebrow tint (like mascara only for brows instead of lashes) daily (not weekends, unless I'm going someplace 'important'.

I've used Origins for several years - their Perfect World cleanser or Checks & Balances, Perfect World Anti-aging ?? (green bottle), did use PW Guardian but am trying Plantscriptions Serum (also Origins) this time around, PW Eye Serum (?), and PW moisturizer. I was using Dr. Weil's eye makeup remover pads, but they seem to have taken those off the market. I used those at night to remove all makeup - worked GREAT! Bought a dollar store package (non-alcoh) - used about 4 and my face broke out, eyes puffed up, forehead turned into sandpaper. Threw them in the garbage!

Previously (years ago) have used Mary Kay, NuSkin, and probably others. Really like Origins.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    skin reflects your internal health. If you're healthy, you don't need to put stuff on your face, and I really don't believe that any wash, scrub, or lotion will dramatically change anything. If you don't like how your skin looks, look at the rest of your life- your diet, your exercise, your stress levels.

Most "skin aging" is caused by the sun, so wear a hat and stay out of the sun. Or wear your wrinkles proudly.
    This is true to a point but in certain climates "take a shower and forget about it" isn't going to cut it, at least it won't as you get older and your skin naturally thins, loses elasticity and produces less natural oil.

Our monthly temps here have been in the -30 Celsius range (-22F) not factoring in windchills. If did nothing for my face it would be painfully dry in about a day. Not much you can do about skin sensitivity either.

Certainly life style, nutrition and genetics play a huge role but you absolutely cannot discount the value of skin care products. No way.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I am lucky, I wash my face in the shower with whatever soap I have and that's it until tomorrow. I don't use (or own) makeup, I do put sunscreen on my facein the summer when I'm going to be outside for any length of time, but that's it. My skin is in pretty good shape (I'm 45).

Do you wear makeup? I never have. I just use a daily gentle face cleanser in the morning with my shower and follow that up with moisturizing lotion. In the evening I just rinse with water and apply the lotion again.