The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ladies, what's your skin care routine...

So I'm in my early- mid thirties and am suddenly having some acne pop up, never has been a problem till now, but is most annoying....when asked the good doctor she said its just hormonal and didn't offer a whole lot of advice.... I've had no change in medication...the only thing that's new is that I have started running and have tried to take note of that when I'm done...aka wash my face, since that's all I've done my entire life.

So what products do you guys like?

I use Murad mainly. Neutrogena face wash then Murad hydrating toner, and Murad pomegranate moisturizing face lotion.

I'm no help. I'm 50. For many, many, years, I've washed my face in the shower in the morning, with whatever soap is in there, slapped on the closest moisturizer without regard for brand or ingredients and gone on my way. I do not wear makeup on a daily basis, so I don't bother washing my face at night. Apparently, this non-routine works, as people often express surprise when I tell them my age . I'm really not convinced that anything topical will make much difference, other than, possibly, a very temporary one. I don't have time for involved skincare and that isn't where I like to spend my money, so this is it.

I do (still!) have oily skin, but haven't had acne issues for quite sometime, other then the occasiona premenstrual zit or two. I do have rosacea, which can look like acne, though it has improved a lot from age. Actually, now that I think of it, it was worst in my mid-30s...are you sure your acne is acne? Do you flush easily? Anything that brings blood to your face can trigger rosacea episodes.

Do see a dermatologist. I had that pop up as an adult and it turned out to be rosacea. You'll never treat that successfully yourself. After the proper meds mine disappeared forever.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Yep, see a pro. At least an aesthetician, if not a dermatologist.
    I was getting outbreaks, partly hormonal, partly skin issues.
    I use PCA skin products. in the am I just wash with cold water and then moisturize with an SPF 15. Evenings I use the PCA anti blemish bar, then moisturize.

I almost never wear makeup and when I do it is Youngblood mineral powder
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Ole Henricksen, the green wash, tonic and moisterizer. Amazing stuff, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Has completely fixed my tweaky sensitive skin. I use a cheap sephora complexion sponge and throw it away/use a new one every weak. Be gentle! Has worked for every person I have recommend it to.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Mary Kay has good stuff, too. I have very fair skin, and have kept it looking decent using MK for years. I do occasionally use the St. Ive's apricot scrub to exfoliate, but other than that, just MK wash in the shower and moisturize every morning.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Josie Maran products, especially the Argan oil--I use it straight as a nighttime moisturizer. That along with my Clarisonic has really improved my combo acne-prone skin. I like Ole Henrikksen as well, especially the orange cleanser.

I have mild perioral rosacea, worse in winter (dry cold air). I usually just wash with any kind of facial cleanser (but will use soap in the shower too, meh), about 2 times/week I remember to use the facial scrub thing. Always use moisturizer of some kind, a face-specific one and unscented but I'm not picky about brands. ALWAYS use sunscreen.

And I never wear make-up. By "never" I mean maybe 5 times/year I'll use blush and eyeshadow for major parties, that's it. I use a tinted lip moisturizer more often, but most often I just use a clear chapstick or plain Vaseline.

Just started doing this with awesome results.
    http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I'm using Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleanser to wash my face in the shower or an Aveeno cleanser at night to take makeup off. After shower I use Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel toner, followed by Proactiv step 3 acne treatment on my "problem areas", which are chin, forehead, and nose...basically my t zone. I use the Proactiv Green Tea oil free moisturizer. I'm planning on switching to Yes To products after I'm done these products because I would like to go more natural/cruelty free products.

Makeup consists of a Skin79 bb cream, sometimes Everday Minerals base matte powder. I use eyeliner, mascara, and Chapstick usually.

I'm with Canaqua-I just do whatever and for the last year it's been Oil of Olay bar soap and body lotion, the end. LOL But I attribute it more to the oily skin, which I have too... no wrinkles. I don't have the greatest skin, scars and sun spots, but no blemishes or wrinkles. and it's cheap. I'm 42? 41? I forget...

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Are you having acne, or are you getting clogged pores- blackheads and whiteheads? My understanding is they are not the same, as the latter are an accumulation of sebum, sweat, dirt, and general schmutz that hardens in the pores. You'll deal with them differently.

I have combination skin that is primarily oily and am prone to getting clogged pores. I'm also allergic to salicylic acid and have sensitive skin. I use Shiseido's foam cleanser which works great for very oily skin but is quite drying. I follow that with a good moisturizer. I'm using Giovanni's, but have lately really liked Kiss My Face's moisturizer with vitamin a. The cleanser is so strong that if I use it more than once a day I get too dry, so if I do wash my face more than once I use a Clean and Clear product that works fine. Once a week, less in winter, I exfoliate and use a mask with kaolin clay to de-gunk the pores. Good luck- finding a good suite of products is a pain!
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; Dec. 30, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Body Shop Vitamin C line

I use a simple wash (either Ceravie for combo skin or Basis) and a retinol moisturizer (Neutrogena - same one under eyes and on face), and Paula's choice BHA gel. I LOVE that and have been using it for years. I also use her 10% AHA liquid as a weekly treatment and it works really well.

one of my fave topics!!

I have been 'washing' my face with olive oil now for years. I am acne prone, but with dry skin. I use the olive oil to wash, salicylic acid w/ AHA (Ecco Bella) & a vita c serum. I ALWAYS wear an oil-free spf moisturizer (Peter Thomas Roth spf 35) & whatever eye cream is around (can't be too heavy, though, b/c I get milia). Sunglasses & hat are a must.

I can't use anything w. SLS on my face b/c it gives me a weird painful rash near my nose & zits on my chin due to irritation ("perioral dermatitis" iow MDs have no idea what causes it). Only thing that works to reduce irritation is...yogurt slapped on the spot. Not sure if it is the lactic acid, bacteria or fat, but it works.

I am 40 & still crow-feet free. I strongly suspect this is mostly due not to skin care routine, but thanks to lack of children.
    Last edited by Hippolyta; Dec. 30, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

^ most people think, ewwww, your face must be so oily. But in fact, the oil dissolves the oil on your face and leaves it SO soft!

I use 70% sunflower oil and 30% castor oil.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am no help either. I've always washed my face with good, mild jenny's or goat's milk soap and water and then slap on either night cream or day cream, and that's it.

Both my daughters have acne, poor kids, they take after their dad. My sister prescribed them some meds / lotion that work amazingly well but I forgot the name of it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

The best stuff I've EVER used for blackheads and pimples is La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Dual Action Acne Treatment, and I have tried practically everything on the market. That said, I agree that it could be rosacea and that you should see a dermatologist to develop a plan of action.

My routine is as follows, and I have combination skin with redness/dryness issues on the cheeks and blackhead issues on my T-zone. I'm 32. I need to incorporate a retinol eventually, but my skin is sensitive and those always irritate it, as does anything with Salicylic Acid. I use a ton of Chanel because even though it's not recommended for sensitive skin, my skin loves it for some weird reason.

Morning: Wash with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Pat dry, apply SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic Antioxidant Treatment*, apply La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Dual Action Acne Treatment to T-zone, apply Chanel Hydra Beauty Gel Creme primarily to cheeks, apply Chanel Beaute Initiale Eye Cream to eye area. Then I either use my NARS tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 or I use my Chanel UV Essentiel sunscreen followed by any of my other, less-protective foundations.

Evening: Remove makeup with Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes or Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil, depending on how heavy-duty my makeup was that day. Wash with Cetaphil, using a Clarisonic. Apply La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Dual Action Acne Treatment to T-zone, apply Chanel Hydra Beauty Gel Creme primarily to cheeks, and apply Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment to eye area.

Exceptions: If I'm doing a long-haul flight or for whatever reason need serious moisture, I'll use the cream rather than gel version of the Chanel moisturizer. Also, when I go running (or do anything else where I'll be in the sun a lot) I skip all the skincare steps except washing my face, and I liberally apply Neutrogena moisturizer with a high SPF.

For masks, I'll occasionally use anything that has sulphur in it on the T-zone only. I have a bunch of samples of Proactiv, DDF and I think one other type. I'm not picky about this and don't do them often.

*The SkinCeuticals is a new step, so I can't comment on the efficacy of it yet.

take it from the gal who's been on 13 different prescription meds for acne and is now in her 30's with clear skin

get proactive. like, NOW. use nothing else on your face but proactive products.

And be careful with your sunscreen. I use one by nutrogena for faces. anything else breaks me out really badly.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble