The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long before you knew your SO was "the one“ (/or not?)?

The long and short is that my SO and I have been dating for about 4 and a half months. He's super attractive, in touch with his feelings, well educated, and thinks that my proclivity for horse/dog sports is adorable.

I have dated a reasonable number of guys and have never felt this way about anyone.

The title says it all... how long before you knew your SO was “the one" (/or not)?

...and ETA... how long have you been together?
    Last edited by Lazy Palomino Hunter; Feb. 7, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

mm...2-3 days?

3 members found this post helpful.

I knew he was someone special on our first date, and after a month I knew he was the one I wanted to marry. We move in together after 6 months, dated for 4 years, were engaged for 2, and just eloped in December. We celebrated 7 years together in January.
    Last edited by LovelyBay; Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

It took a few months for me to recognize that Mr. CC was the one. We were friends first, then the romance blossomed. We dated for two years, then decided life was too short, and we needed a farm for my horses (hee hee--Mr. CC thought it was so he wouldn't have neighbors within a half mile of the house!)--so we bought a place and I moved in with him. We've been together for nearly 11 years now.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

we had 3 dates over a 2 month period. I was in Iowa and he was stationed in Va. I met him when he was home on leave. He called me long distance and said "would ya?" And I said "you betchya!". There were letters and phone calls between the dates. We met st. patrick's day and were married in June.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    mm...2-3 days?
    Same here.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Right away I felt something totally different than I ever felt before, the moment I saw him. When I ran into him years later at a crowded mall I swear I felt him before I saw him, just felt this jolt and looked up and there he was. Probably a month or so and I knew I wanted to marry him.

I was in a LDR for 2 years and was in love but wasn't sure if he was 'the one' (I mean, how can you really know, in Long distance?) Shortly after the start of our 3rd year I finally moved across the country to be with him. After about 6 months of living together I knew for sure that I didn't want to be with anyone else, and That I would be happy with him for the rest of my life. He left his really good job in Florida to start a new life with me here in Utah while I recover from a back injury.. we're going on our 4th year (4 year Anni in August) and planning on moving to Seattle and getting married in the next few years.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Eight months. The day we both said "I love you" for the first time. Going on four years.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Right off the bat, things felt different and special (I too had dated a number of guys before him). "I love you" came after about a month, talks about forever together, after about 3. Moved in together as soon as I graduated college (6 month mark).

Been together happily for 11+ years now!

Years

But then, we were platonic friends for four or five years. Then single friends for several months, like go out to eat and movies together and I usually tried to get some of my other friends to come with us so it wouldn't seem "date-y." We saw each other a lot because my mare was at his barn in exchange for helping take care of the horses/property. Then the bastard asked for my help to catch a wayward steer that had a jumped a fence and was hiding in the brush, I was walking and he was riding, and he was all "this is dumb, hop up" and kicked his foot out of the stirrup and held out a hand to help me swing up behind him. Riding double, that's when I knew. Bastard admitted after we were married that he had totally planned it and seduced me. Not the steer part, but the taking advantage of the situation part.

It bumped me over the friend-zone barrier, and I couldn't be happier.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

About 45 seconds. Today, in fact, is the 8-year anniversary of that moment when -- engaged to someone else and fully in the middle of planning a wedding -- I turned up to drop off a package to an Internet friend and realized, the instant he opened the door, that this was the man I was *supposed* to be marrying. Honestly, I knew the moment I laid eyes on him. I was certainly happy in my long-term relationship, never dreamed something like this could happen, and then it did.

The next month I flew out to England to stay with him over spring break, then two months later I graduated uni and moved in with him. Didn't even go to my own graduation -- just packed up and left, that's how strongly I felt for him.

We were married almost exactly a year after we met (we chose the date to coordinate with his band's US tour) and we've been married seven years this month. So yes, it can happen in an instant!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The day we met.
    And 31 years later it was still working.
    I never believed in Love At First Sight, but I knew I wanted this guy in my life, even if we were just to be friends.
    He was my soulmate in every sense of the word and I do not think I'll ever find another - he set that bar pretty high.
    Hope your guy has that same Magic for you.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Like 2Dogs, the day we met. Unfortunately, I was 13, he was 18 He was quite horrified to learn I was only 13. We danced around each other for the next 4.5 years, till the day I graduated High School. Said no WAY was he, a college graduate, dating someone in High School. So he waited till the night I graduated to ask me out. We married two years later. 33 years so far!

Least this sounds too sappy, we do fight occasionally, at least till he admits I'm right, or he makes me laugh. Usually, he makes me laugh, and we forget about whatever stupid thing we were fighting about.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

2 members found this post helpful.

We met my soph year of college (his freshman year) - I think he knew before I did, but by the time my junior year was ending, I knew. I think I may have known before that but was all "I'm in college! I have no idea what my life will be like! I can't be sure!"

And now we've been together almost 18 years, married for 10.5!

These are all so sweet!

I asked my parents this once and Mom said "At the end of every date I just wanted to line up the next time to see him, and the next time and then the next time." Dad proposed six months after meeting her, and they got married six months after that. They've been married over 35 years now.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

About two weeks. Met at college. I actually saw him on campus for two years before we met through a mutual friend. Once we started really hanging out, it was about two weeks and we were inseparable.

We've been through the post college relationship growth. We've lived in different states. We lived with my parents for six months before our wedding. He's a city kid. I'm country through and through. He's always been supportive of my career but kept me frugal and sensible about how to make our business work.

Today we have been together 19 years, married 12. Our only child is 8 today and we couldn't be happier about our relationship.

When you know, you know. They fit you like a custom set of boots.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

I knew when I met my bf that he was different. We met in a bar and spent all night talking. When I left, I gave him a hug and kissed him on the cheek.

As soon as I did it, I thought, "what the hell was that!?" I've never done such a thing!
    Still still only dating (sigh) but we live together and our 3 year anniversary is this month.

It took me quite a while, but that was probably because I was 10 when I first met my SO. I was in his mom's 4-H club so we pretty much grew up together. We tried the long-distance thing during my freshman year of college (his sophomore year), but it didn't last long. We kind of lost touch with each other but hung out during the summers at home. Then during fall break of my senior year, he unexpectedly kissed me, which of course threw me for a loop. He came to visit me at college for my 21st birthday, and we've been together ever since.

Its been over 10 years, and even though we've both changed over the years, we still understand and support each other. We're finally talking seriously about marriage. Its been a bit frustrating waiting this long, but it'll happen when its supposed to happen. I've always had that mindset, and I think its helped us last this long, and hopefully much longer.

I don't believe in "the one". I have, twice, thought it was "the one", and it turns out well, not. I think the idea that there is ONE guy out there is very damaging to people, also the idea that you can't be complete without a partner is also damaging. You should be happy in and of yourself, by yourself, and if you bump into someone who contributes positively to your life, great, go with it until it stops being good. The idea that someone is "the one" causes many people to adversely change their lives and suffer unhappiness. Don't plan your life around other people. Breaking up early is a good thing. Question the idea that sexual relationships should be long-term. Should they?