The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket Houdini?

New horse, new blanket. Stall cleaner texted me this morning that she found the blanket in the stall. Horse had removed it. The front buckles are undone, but other than a small tear, blanket is intact, with all other buckles and snaps still hooked. This horse likes nibbling things. Could he have unbuckled the front buckles himself?

What kind of front does it have? I know from firsthand experience that horses can open the surcingle fronts themselves . I resorted to double end snaps or snap front blankets for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolte View Post
    What kind of front does it have? I know from firsthand experience that horses can open the surcingle fronts themselves . I resorted to double end snaps or snap front blankets for him.
    Yes, surcingle front. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to cover the buckles.

If it was one of mine, I would try spraying with raplast or whatever no chew stuff you can get, or some have been deterred with irish spring soap rubbed on the buckle/strap. I was thinking you might be able to make a cover of sorts with a loop of surcingle webbing that closes with Velcro (easy on and off), but with mine, that would just add to the fun (ooh! Velcro makes such fun noises!). So I'd end up having to spray no chew on the cover...so I'd just start with no chew stuff!