The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WTH is wrong with people?

For the 3rd time in just over a year our credit card has been stolen again. Not physically mind you, just online. Both my husband and I are in physical contact with our cards but someone tried to go on a European vacation with our card(boy how I wish I could afford one of those) and then they went of a Walmart.com shopping spree.

It irks me super bad that this happens so frequently. Thank goodness we have a good bank. USAA rocks!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Ewwww, if I'm going to jack a credit card, I'm sure not shopping at Walmart!
    Sorry to hear it happened.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    For the 3rd time in just over a year our credit card has been stolen again. Not physically mind you, just online. Both my husband and I are in physical contact with our cards but someone tried to go on a European vacation with our card(boy how I wish I could afford one of those) and then they went of a Walmart.com shopping spree.

It irks me super bad that this happens so frequently. Thank goodness we have a good bank. USAA rocks!
    one or both of you are not as careful with your plastic as you like to believe.
    we shop a lot online and had only one problem in over 15 years.

a hidden reader at an ATM, a crooked store clerk or shopping on unsecure sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

We handle transactions on government computers and only cash back when we're purchasing something from a store already. I'm not sure how much more careful we can get? Our bank isn't even linked to anything outside of bills.

Just happened to me this week too. I think every time you use it, it increases your chances of someone stealing the number. We have USAA too, and they are super about it thankfully!
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you eat out? Use a non bank ATM? Where are you shopping online?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

then again...they do say there are card readers that don't need the card swiped through to read the information.

Maybe time for that alu wallet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yup, I've been thinking seriously about that aluminum wallet. These new scanners don't even have to see your card to steal the information.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have had to cancel my credit card twice over issues this year.

First time the credit card company called me to tell me they had cancelled the card because somewhere I shop had their reader compromised. They would not disclose what company it was.

The second time, my vet's office called me to tell me the secure storage company they had been using the last 15 years had been broken into. While they didn't think there was any risk to my information, they wanted to be on the safe side.

Ugh.

How odd. I just had mine hacked for the first time in my life. Walmart charges, some other stores I never heard of. Im anal about checking my account several times a day so I caught it, called USAA and shut down the card. They are sending me a new one. Odd because I do very little online shopping, and when I do, its thru Paypal or Amazon only. Oh well, time to change the account number anyway, Ive had the same number way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Ewwww, if I'm going to jack a credit card, I'm sure not shopping at Walmart!
    Sorry to hear it happened.
    My husband's credit card number was stolen/cloned, and what alerted the CC company was that it was used at a Walmart, so they called him. It seems to be a favorite place for thieves to test the card.

couple of years ago my cc # was stolen to buy airline tickets to hong kong, oman, and the Philippines. least the bastards could have done is get me a gift! would have settled for a t shirt from the airport gift shop. luckily, my bank was right on top of it.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Actually, Walmart is usually open 24/7, and some credit unions and banks don't verify as well after hours, and that gives the thief time to get away with the merchandise. And Walmart has big ticket items like TVs and jewelry, and at Sam's Club you can buy anything electronic. I bet someone at USAA or another account processor is selling account numbers, or it could be someone photographing the card with their cell phone, or a clerk or waitress stealing the nimber. I think many financial companies don't run their own websites, so that leaves an outside company to run many stores and bank's financial information.

I do all my payments like this online, and when I used to mail payments I put them right in the box at the Post Office. Never use a home mailbox for payments like this. There is so much mail theft going on, and people get your number and change the address. I also check my account online frequently to see what's been charged or debited, and to see the addresses.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have one credit card that I use exclusively for on line transactions. That one has never been a problem. I have however had a couple of instances where I used a card at a restaurant and later that day or the next, fraudulent charges began to appear. It was always caught by the bank and they indicated the number was probably stolen by a restaurant employee.

This happened to DH when he was deployed. He left his wallet behind on accident once before a 6 day mission, and his bunk mate copied the card number. It was a mess! Could the same thing have happened to your hubby?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

We had this happen early last year, somehow they got hold of my husband's business card. The dirtbag thief spent $32,000 at Saks Fifth Avenue in Georgia till they maxed out the card.

We live in California. We shred everything! However we were at a hotel about 2 weeks prior to this and my husband told me that when he checked us in the person swiped the card twice, saying the first time it didn't take. The credit card company told us that this is a way that folks steal the info. They have a second swiper that they run it through that copies the card info then sell it.

$32,000 at Saks! Crap! When I think of all the pretty things I could of had at Saks I wanna cry!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I don't have a problem either, and I charge stuff online all over the place.

Both my credit card companies, Discover and USAA, are very careful and always call right away with anythings suspicious. I have to call them when I travel, or they block my credit card! Good thing, though.

My wallet got stolen back in June - and within an hour someone was shopping at Walmart. My cc company actually called me to ask me about an odd charge - that's when I realized the wallet was gone. (this is a Discover card)

Anyway, what a PITA that was. But luckily my CCs covered all the unauthorized charges so it wasn't an issue.

I did open a Lifelock account since my license was in my wallet. I was worried about someone trying to open a new account in my name. I'll keep that for a year or so then drop it - I don't think it's likely that that will happen, but it makes me sleep better at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    My wallet got stolen back in June - and within an hour someone was shopping at Walmart. My cc company actually called me to ask me about an odd charge - that's when I realized the wallet was gone. (this is a Discover card)

Anyway, what a PITA that was. But luckily my CCs covered all the unauthorized charges so it wasn't an issue.

I did open a Lifelock account since my license was in my wallet. I was worried about someone trying to open a new account in my name. I'll keep that for a year or so then drop it - I don't think it's likely that that will happen, but it makes me sleep better at night.
    May I recommend freezing your credit. Life lock is just a way to notify you once your info has been stolen and forget trying to collect on the $1m insurance. If you freeze your credit you are given a PIN in a letter that allows you to unfreeze your credit for a specific reason like a refinance of your house. Not only can no one open an acct in your name but you are never tempted to open a charge acct on a whim. It's worked very well for us for many years and I shop a lot on line and at Walmart. (LOL)

It aint just walmart, at work we have an online store. We had 3 different people have their DC/CC info stolen last summer, bought stuff from us. And had it shipped to abandoned buildings around NY. We were out the $ and the stuff cause UPS just drops it off. Whoever it is has the billing addy so someone has inside info.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker