The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

kcs01 said:

We are Without tractor and for the past two years have been dragging them on a palette behind the truck or the rtv. This year we are improving the design and adding an old pair of skis to make it slide a little easier. Works great almost don't want to improve the design

Never thought of using skis, what a good idea! I have dozens of the things in the shed.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year!

Just as Robin says: old american car hood>>best skid plate made. Put the round bale on that and pull it to the paddock..yes you will need a length of 3/8 chain, but you should have one regardless.

HA! Its like this post was sitting here taunting me. Friend of mine bought round bales in bulk - nice round bales. Offered to give me one for $35.

The catch? We have no way to load it into the back of a pick up truck.

If I could just get it into the pick up truck... No tractor, etc. *Sigh*

Skidloader was fixed and the girls are happily mulching so no I didn't get the chance to try these unfortunately. Shore girl... what about two boards to make a ramp (not very steep!) And some super strong men to push it? Totally worth it I love round bales.

I thought about that. Problem is, I am even borrowing a truck just to pick the thing up (If I can) so I feel awfully guilty asking people to push it up a ramp too LOL. Not sure if us two girls could roll it up ourselves! She has her horses in her backyard, and I keep mine one county away in my neighbors 8 acres, so we don't have a lot of people around.

Originally I was going to be waiting with a truck when they off loaded from the bulk load and they were going to pop a round into the pick up for me. Then the delivery guy messed up the days and now I'm SOL.

Sigh. I really wanted to give Miss Mare a round bale!

Quote Originally Posted by ShoreGirl View Post
    I thought about that. Problem is, I am even borrowing a truck just to pick the thing up (If I can) so I feel awfully guilty asking people to push it up a ramp too LOL. Not sure if us two girls could roll it up ourselves! She has her horses in her backyard, and I keep mine one county away in my neighbors 8 acres, so we don't have a lot of people around.

Originally I was going to be waiting with a truck when they off loaded from the bulk load and they were going to pop a round into the pick up for me. Then the delivery guy messed up the days and now I'm SOL.

Sigh. I really wanted to give Miss Mare a round bale!

A come-a-long or calf-puller is your friend. Just don't stand behind the bale if you try to push it up on ramps.

Liz

You know what... my FIL can fit two round bales in his 2H with a ramp after he takes the divider out. Any way you can borrow a trailer? You could just roll it on... probably even get it on a step up if you push hard enough.

Whooohooo Just found a guy willing to deliver me two round bales at $42 each =)

I just moved in the last few months so I am not totally sure of the going rate around here, but I do recall paying a LOT more for them up in PA a few years ago, and our hay just went up to $7/bale. These are 4ft x 6 ft round bales timothy/alfalfa mix. Thoughts anyone?