The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why aren't electric golf carts allowed?

Sorry, dumb question out of curiosity only. I've seen it on several A and AA show prizelists now: NO ELECTRIC GOLF CARTS ALLOWED. Is it a USEF rule, or just a show decision? I assume the 2 golf carts my trainer has are gas anyway, but I definitely remember growing up when I would tag along with Dad on the golf course that there was often a group of carts that weren't "charged" and others that were ready to go, so they were obviously electric. What's wrong with the electric ones at a show?

My guess is (A) horse show doesn't want to pay the electric bill for someone to charge their golf cart. (B) some shows have temporary stalls with barely enough electric current to run the lights and fans, any extra draw has a tendency to blow circuits which is a fire hazard.

1 members found this post helpful.

^ I thought the same.

Plus I think golf carts are safer if you can hear them coming around horses and kids.

They are too quiet.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Having done night watch they draw down the temporary electric set ups in tents...they cause an over heating (read fire) risk and they make the circuits blow on a regular basis.....in the case of those shows with enough power, it costs PLENTY to plug in your electric golf cart...yeah I know electricity doesn't come from the wall, it is mostly from burning coal (in the northeast)....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I knew of one woman who bought an electric golfcart so her 8 year old could drive it around horse shows. Apparently, it also gets around the "motorized vehicle" rule and kids not being allowed to drive them?

I'm willing to bet that that claim would not fly with any steward.

Most places are pretty strict about the kid looking old enough to drive a cart, I know that in Wellington, they'll even card you if they're suspicious.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    I knew of one woman who bought an electric golfcart so her 8 year old could drive it around horse shows. Apparently, it also gets around the "motorized vehicle" rule and kids not being allowed to drive them?
    Since when is an electric motor not motorized? It has a motor, therefore it is "motorized" - the source of power doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    Since when is an electric motor not motorized? It has a motor, therefore it is "motorized" - the source of power doesn't matter.
    If you're dumb enough to let your 8-year-old drive a golf cart, you're probably too dumb to understand there are electric motors.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

6 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys, I guess it does make sense that charging it would be the problem for the shows! I forgot about that part like a dummy.

I never said this woman was bright...I don't know what happened, but I know she bought the golf cart. Maybe that was her excuse to buy one.

Golf carts should be banned from shows..i have seen too many horses get hurt because of idiots driving them..including so called professionals

JUst before they put the rule in I was nearly run over twice and both times by adults!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Ditto. At Sussex one year I nearly died twice in short succession- one when someone tried to run a golf cart into my horse while we were walking through an intersection between barns, and then just after, when the horse wigged out at having almost been hit by a golf cart! I was glad to see that rule go in.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG