The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Lovely! When I posted on the other thread. I hadn't seen a finch all winter. THEY'RE HERE....Common red polls and golds. So far. I wish I would get cardinals. I haven't seen a male cardinal at my feeder since I moved here 25 years ago. I do hear them periodically. Could my feeder be to close to the house? Probably 6 feet away from the window.
    Lovely pictures Louise!

We get a lot of winter birds, all year-round-birds too.
    Lots of jays, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, mourning doves,finches, some grosbeaks.
    The wild turkeys tend to stay off the feeder, but my rooster has been seen up there on occasion!.

sunridge, I am no bird expert, but I do know that cardinals are generally considered to be quite shy. If you are hearing them they are there - but chances are your feeder may be too close to the house.
    They also tend to come at dawn and at dusk, and like the cover of cedars.

Seeing the birds at the feeders is one of my greatest pleasures, and I love to see your pictures too Louise. Thank you for sharing them.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Love the photos! Thanks for sharing them, Louise. I spent a long time today just watching the birds at my feeders. Such a happy thing. And water - if you have water for them they so appreciate that in the bad weather.

Thank you for sharing! I love to look at birds; I always get so excited when I see a hummingbird! We have giant, beautiful hawks that live around here. My back yard is lots of old growth TALL hardwoods, and hawks and owls love it. Only seen the owl once in 10 years, but I hear them all the time. We have woodpeckers too, they're so neat to look at.

1 members found this post helpful.

Chickadees have always been my favorite. They are so cheerful looking!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Thanks for the pics! I should try staking out my sister's feeder. We've got a ton of sparrows and a cardinal family that are regulars, but also get a few visits from a Carolina Wren and a Black Eyed Junco (my fave, they look so sleek!). And despite being in the suburbs we get quite the selection of woodpeckers too: Red-bellied, Downy, even a Pileated!

I remember my friend from CO freaking out over "Bright RED bird! Look look look!" Being from back east I go "Very funny, it's just a cardinal." Out here they're super common but she'd never seen one before. I hadn't realized they weren't throughout the US!

I got to see some very cool canyon-only species this summer while camping in Arizona, and some gorgeous tropical birds in Mexico & Costa Rica last year. Toucanets and everything! My bird crazy Costa Rican coworker down there would get super excited about migratory species from up north and I'd get excited about their pretty 'trash birds' (a la Turquoise Crowned Motmot)
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Have been lucky the past few days with my feeder birds. Had a Hoary Redpoll mixed in with the Common Redpolls today. So obvious I had to put down my cup of tea and check my field guide to confirm.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Have been lucky the past few days with my feeder birds. Had a Hoary Redpoll mixed in with the Common Redpolls today. So obvious I had to put down my cup of tea and check my field guide to confirm.
    Oh, I wish you had gotten a picture!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm camera challenged, just have a tiny point and shoot, didn't even bother to try. Have to get one of my friends with their big hulking cameras to come over....