The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Not drinking anymore?

I have to admit, I got a little too happy with my box wine (ok, it was the cheap stuff in the bottle) before Christmas. felt pretty sick the next day, skipped the family Christmas party...well not entirely because of that, but the headache was nasty.

I have not touched a drop since. Not missing it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I really do like red wine. I REALLY like it. But I couldn't care less for getting drunk, or feeling sick after the night with too much.
    I know I will have my wine again...but I don't think I will get that happy with it in the near future....(In all fairness, I had some economy priced champagne to round out the evening...)

Now, as a side effect, I have also curbed my coffee intake.
    What gives? I am normally a 'one pot before noon' gal. Now I am using my Keurig for that shot in the morning, and the coffee maker to keep the tea flowing.
    Since it's teabags, I won't go through all the ceremony I reserve for quality loose tea....raspberry and something holiday flavored are on the top (black teas tend to make me feel queezy before breakfast, so herbal raspberry)

anybody else just kick a habit like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Yeah, I had a similar incident. DH doesn't drink, so I had gotten to maybe once every few months having a drink. Went home for a funeral, met up with a few old buddies, and proceeded to consume 6 vodka cranberries and 7 lemon drop shooters because I am an IDIOT. Been close friends with the bouncer for almost 2 decades, he was at my wedding, so I was never in danger. Of anything but my stupidity.
    Ended up being carried home by my friend the bouncer, then had to fly back here several hours later. Not a fun trip. Came home hungover to a rightly pissed DH and 2 really loud, talkative kids.
    Took me over a year to even want a sip of alcohol. Then I went on metformin, so drinking was a no-no. then I got pregnant. Guess what I crave? Champagne
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

DANG Rust!! Bringin' back the memories of being in my 20s LOL!!

I don't have time to drink very much. I did Christmas Eve! I am so busy that I have to preplan my drinking LOL!! Next adult beverage activity will be in mid-March during spring break, me, my 41 year old pal, her parents, and a few others are heading to the ocean for a wild carousing time, and we will all be in bed by 9 LOL!

I vaguely remember discussing with friends about drinking back in the day. Most of us kind of "grew up" and drink occasionally, a few still hit the bars, etc, on weekends pretty hard and there are some who I swear I have never seen a FB pic with no hooch in it. There are one or two who lie about it. One gets lit up and posts on FB about how she has one glass of wine and she is drunk yet forgets as she gets drunker and outs herself. She came over a few years ago to a pals and she put down enough hooch to take on ole Rusty and her Lemon drop shooters and vodka crans LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

About 15 years ago, at the Christmas party at the barn, I kept drinking a Margarita, not noticing that that somebody kept filling it up. It was the day before Christmas Eve and I still had to go out shopping the next morning. Bleah. I almost never drank before that, but have had exactly one liquor drink since. I never want to feel like that again.

We don't go out much but last Sunday was the Christmas party at the club. Free Glogg and Tom and Jerry's from 2-4. Went at noonish to beat the rush and get a seat. Started with Captain and ginger, had two and a half of those over the course of 4 hours. Had my requisite Tom and Jerry which is mostly sugar batter. Alls good.

At 4 we took the neighbors home. Stopped there for about 2 hours to help decrease the Christmas Cookie inventory. I think I had a beer there.... quite honestly, I have very little recollection. I think there were two glasses of Glogg (that is poured in a cordial glass so ~ small ~ but deadly, and I made it so I know)

Then, somewhere between their house and ours (1 mile) we got a call from one of hubby's old girlfriends. She and her daughter and her parents are at the pub, stop by. The guys ordered a pitcher...

So I've had about a drink an hour but at this point it is 9pm... and as we go to leave, and sensory stimulation is disrupted I realise.... I. Am. Drrrrrunk.

Oddly, I haven't had much interest in my nightly dinner wine since then.

I grew up with kids getting a finger of wine in a glass of water, the older, the more fingers, less water.

Somewhere, that set my stomach off to alcohol and by the time there was mostly wine in the glass, I was not able to keep anything down a few minutes after a few sips.
    Figured it was the wine, gave that a try or two and yes, that it was, anything with alcohol and over a small sip and up everything came.

Guess that kept me from ever being able to drink to even get a buzz.
    Being the designated driver when alcohol is involved, I get to see that maybe being allergic to alcohol was not such a bad trade off after all, what others that have a few too many go thru.
    Disinhibited people don't know what they say or do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I grew up with kids getting a finger of wine in a glass of water, the older, the more fingers, less water.

Somewhere, that set my stomach off to alcohol and by the time there was mostly wine in the glass, I was not able to keep anything down a few minutes after a few sips.
    Figured it was the wine, gave that a try or two and yes, that it was, anything with alcohol and over a small sip and up everything came.

Guess that kept me from ever being able to drink to even get a buzz.
    Being the designated driver when alcohol is involved, I get to see that maybe being allergic to alcohol was not such a bad trade off after all, what others that have a few too many go thru.
    Disinhibited people don't know what they say or do.

oh good grief. Being the only sober person in the room is usually not that amusing....you have to have at least one more person with you to make fun of the drunks!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    oh good grief. Being the only sober person in the room is usually not that amusing....you have to have at least one more person with you to make fun of the drunks!
    Didn't think about it this way.
    I think you have to drink to think it is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Didn't think about it this way.
    I think you have to drink to think it is funny.

LOL, no, we had quiet some good times being sober, making fun of the drunk kid - in a nice way of course, he was a friend, after all....
    One highlight was when he got all sappy and hung all over this poor girl he and some other guys were making fun off when sober.
    She was one gracious lady that evening....in retrospect, we should have probably pried him off her shoulder that night!

I can count on the fingers of one hand the times when I had a really bad hangover. I hate feeling that way. I usually can drink 'some' red wine with no ill effect, but if I start mixing drinks or drinking white wine or liquor...all bets are off.
    Several times over the years, I totally quit drinking for 6 months at a time. Didn't miss it one bit. I will do this again after the holidays are over.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Yup. As mentioned a bunch of times before, gave up most sodas after my SIL passed away from liver issues, and shortly afterward my sister diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. Both very heavy Pepsi drinkers. My own scientific justification. I used to drink plenty of Coke. And other soft drinks. Now will have an occasional ginger ale or fruity soda (orange, grape) in the summer, if nothing else available. But have one bottle of Coke? Feel like I was hit by a Mack truck the next day.

Then, I was diagnosed with acid reflux. Cut back, then had to give up coffee. Loved lattes and even Dunkin Donuts Coffee Coolattas. Then the worst. Had to give up tea. Love it. Lived a year in Australia, also the Middle East. Love, love Earl Grey, and other loose teas of various types in a pot, and using a strainer. That's been the hardest. I really miss it. Have to make do with fruity or herbal teas. They're not bad.

Drinking for me not much of an issue. I can take it or leave it. Don't have it too often. Lucky I was born that way considering those in my family who have had issues. Like wine and an occasional beer, especially in the summer. Can't hold booze that well, so never been a problem when I've given it up (when someone in the house gave it a try).

Have to admit, think my older body is telling me what's ok and what's not. The hardest part, of course, is the beginning, and coming up with alternatives to fit certain social scenarios. But remembering how I felt beforehand the best motivator!
    Last edited by CVPeg; Dec. 29, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I hear you CVPeg - wine, pastry, onions, tea, nuts - can't digest them unless I'm on Tecta by prescription, but sice I prefer not to take prescription pills have to work around not eating what does not work for me. TUMS, while an effective ant-acid and good source of calcium, only make the stomach prouduce more acid - so have to be on my gastroguard to be able to fall off the waggon.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I find I've gone the other way lol

With my new job and general life stressors I've started drinking a lot more. I used to only be a social drinker, however now I'm up to 2-3 drinks per night after work, and more on my days off. I don't get sloppy drunk, but am usually pretty happy by the time I'm ready for bed. I figure in my line of work it's well deserved and it at least makes me a little more tolerable after a long day

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    That's right. People who have been drinking are generally pretty hard to tolerate unless you are one of them!

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't drink often, never have (aka: I'm a senior in college and went to the bar once and a party once this past semester), but I absolutely can not drink Whiskey anymore. Went camping with some friends, had a little bit too much (ok, a lot too much) Whiskey and Coke, and all I really remember after that is puking on a guy friend and then sitting outside the tent with another friend talking to me and me just doing the 'finger to nose' test over and over again saying "I'm so f-ed up...". Never again!

Now if I drink, on the rare occasion, it's usually a Sex on the Beach or a Fuzzy Naval at the bar or a beer or two at a house party.

Drinking just doesn't appeal to me. I would much rather be watching a movie or playing some board game on a Friday night (or catching up on sleep...). Maybe I'm lame
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I don't drink the demon rum. Ever!! For like 20 years LOL!!

I do like to have a Black Velvet (whiskey) poured into a glass packed with ice. Squeeze a lemon wedge and presto! Awesomeness on a hot summer night. Maybe I will plan some of that for June or late May for the end of the semester.
    The Knotted Pony

twotrue, you need to try peach schnapps and lemonade, preferably frozenish and slushy, for your summer beverage!

Oh mymymy, I spent the summer after I got out of the Air Force as a bartender in Panama City Beach, FL. I have had and made every version of every drink that requires peach schnapps and slushy/blended anything LOL!!

I used to make blended fresh peaches with peach schnapps, vodka, a splash of cran for color and cream. Plop some sliced kiwi on the glass and yuuuummmmmm!!!!!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post

I used to make blended fresh peaches with peach schnapps, vodka, a splash of cran for color and cream. Plop some sliced kiwi on the glass and yuuuummmmmm!!!!!!!
    That amazingly lovely recipe is going to require a pump and dump on my part this summer

Every couple of years I tie one on and then seem to abstain naturally for quite a while. Tonite I opened a nice bottle of red and enjoyed just a glass so apparently this decades bender will not begin this very evening LOL

caffeine tho? Really? You may be sick. Take your vitals and give the vet a heads up!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.