The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I am a right leaning Independent and have to disagree with you here. Those "fake" ID's, etc. often belong to someone else, which is THEFT. I don't understand how you can justify their actions b/c they work for sub par wages. IMO, the $$ they pay to coyotes would go far to pay their way here LEGALLY. Those that come here illegally do not care to become American citizens, instead prefer to earn untaxed wages of which a majority is sent back over the border to the tune of $22 billion a year (http://www.examiner.com/article/amid...oney-to-mexico).

Just to clarify...
    You are right. There are consequences to the people that these #s are stolen from too, even if the theives only use them for what appears to be legitimate purposes, i.e. having taxes withheld from a job. If the true owner gets audited, the IRS will say "prove you didn't make this money" It is really hard to prove a negative, especially if you are retired at the time that the income was reported. So, you wind up having to pay taxes on the amount of money that is in your SSacount, even though you didn't make that money. BTDT with my daddy
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    AAAUUUGGGGHHHHH! It is "COULD NOT CARE LESS", NOT "COULD CARE LESS."

*brain explodes from grammar peeve*
    and all this time I thought it was : "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    , BTW, I made $800.00 cash from my credit card last year, didn't cost me a cent.
    Maybe you just are not aware it cost you; our busienss provides cash discounts that are not extended to plastic transactions.

Spent a year without a checking account. It was the lowest, most desperate point of my life. I was on the edge of financial ruin, unemployed & clinging for dear life to a chance at a job offer looming months away.

First thing I remember is the shame. Normal people should be able to have bank accounts. It was accutely embarrassing.

Second thing, I was amazed at how many workarounds there are out there. I found ways to get money deposited, make payments, cash checks, that I never dreamed existed before falling so low.

Thirdly, it did cost a LOT. Fees everywhere I turned. Definitely kicking folks while they are down. But you have to pay the fees, you have no other way to operate.

Finally, the job offer came, I filed Ch 13 to repay all I owed (I tried to negotiate payments to the creditors on my own, but they all wanted ALL of my disposable income :-/ I needed a judge to tell them, this is what she can pay each of you per month).

I remember nervously sitting down in TD bank when I went to try to reopen an account. I tell you, you do feel like a second class citizen. But the lady was nice, told me she would have to discuss it with the manager & would give me a call.

Getting the call that I could open a checking account was one of the biggest steps in my recovery. I was a real person again, who could write checks, use a Debit card, save without fear of a garnishment!!!

I don't blame anyone but myself for getting into that situation, I made a lot of poor decisions & took risks I should not have.

Anyway, that is the story of how a supposedly well educationed, normal middle class American can end up unable to have a checking account.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Business accounts (at least at our bank) depositing in the excess of $5,000 in cash per deposit have to explain the source
    That is a really low amount. I routinely make deposits for the company I work for, usually about 40k per week just in cash. If you added credit card transactions in it would be about 120k per week. We aren't even a large business, we're a local ski area that employs only around 90 people.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I can see how up-at-5 could get cash back on the Scotiabank credit card and not cost her anything. They have a great program (enough tv ads about it too).
    http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,7,00.html

Maybe you just are not aware it cost you; our busienss provides cash discounts that are not extended to plastic transactions.
    The gas, grocery and prescription people don't do cash discounts. Not too many places do, except perhaps Mom and Pop places.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

usually around here is from the underground economy...which it appears to grow each year as taxation increases

The drug bucks are being shipped offshore...but there is one easy way to correct that ...have a call on all $100 bills... you have five days to exchange the old bills for the new other wise they are worthless.
    True, I forgot about the underground economy. Good idea on the note exchange.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell