The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I absolutely agree with you, twotrudoc.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I can hardly even begin to fathom what a pita not having a checking account /debit card would be for me.

I know a number of non-immigrant, non-minority folks with plenty of good ids who don't have checking accounts in this neck of the woods. I'd say the biggest reason is bad credit, particularly the cycle of running up bills and not paying them. No checking account means nothing to garnish if a smalls claim court case is lost. Autos can have leins placed on them for debt in some cases.

It struck me as odd at first since I have had checking account since I was 16, which is back in the days of the dinosaurs. But I also don't have an issue about paying my bills either.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

My sister used to get by without one because she had bad experiences trying to keep it balanced. I don't know if she does now or not. Paid for most things with a credit card, money ordered that payment each month. Paid her mortgage in person etc.

I could never get by without it at this point. I've gone almost completely electronic.

Not long after DH and I moved in together, we pulled out meager money out of the bank and were bankless for a few years. NOW we didn't have a mortgage, car payment, etc. There was a place near us that would do money orders for free, so we used money orders. We had NO money to save, nothing extra each month. We did budget and when the cash for 'eating out' was gone (and eating out might have been a big night at McDonald's), we did without. When cash for groceries ran out, we figured we needed to be creative with whatever was left in the cabinets.

We both only had part time jobs (the only thing we could find).

A few years later, we had a bank account again. And with a bank account and credit card, I find I have a lot harder to stay within my budget. BUT I now have savings, which would be hard without a bank account!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    No checking account means nothing to garnish if a smalls claim court case is lost.
    This. I use to work in a bank, and if someone had unpaid creditors - credit cards, doctors, utilities, etc, the creditor could file a claim against the person. The the courts would place a hold on the bank account, until the court date. After the court date, those funds may be awarded to the creditor. No bank account, no one tying up/taking their cash.

Also, if you owe money to a specific financial institution, and someone cashes a check there, they will take the money from the check. This happened to a workman I paid, he went to cash the check at the credit union, and he found out an old business account of his had a lot of fees that were unpaid. The credit union cashed the check and took their fees out of it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I work at a bank in the US. I don't know why anyone here would bank with a bank vs. a credit union. All my money's in a credit union, where I earn actual interest, the people are nice, and where I have no trouble getting approved for loans. I hate waiting at credit unions to conduct transactions - seriously, it takes FOREVER - but mine takes ATM deposits so it's all good.

The people I encounter at work who don't have accounts are usually in Chexsystems and can't open an account until they settle up with the bank that put them in Chexsystems.

That, or they don't have a legit tax ID #.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

My husband does not have a bank account- he doesn't really have any need of one and the fees etc are ridiculous! My father also does not have an account because he does not trust the banking system. Just because they do not have bank accounts does not mean they are some kind of derelicts, sneaking around doing illegal work.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    One of my exBFs refused to us a bank. Had his mom or I write checks to pay for something and his credit card was in his father's name that he paid off in cash to his father. His credit score was fine, what was not fine was his head. He thought the government (his is very anti-big brother) was out to get him and his money. He actually has stashes of gold and silver bars hidden out in the middle of the woods somewhere. Never told me where. But he paid for his new 2012 Toyota in cash.
    Sounds a bit like tax evasion and/or drug money to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

FILs Father cosigned loans to sell cheap houses in 1920s, guess what happened when Depresson hit? Yep bank took everything they had house car accounts, family was split up for several years, had to move to another town & start over. FILs mother never put another $ in a bank. Died with 10s of 1000s in her pockets & books & drawers.

Banks here are starting to take away frree accts, that will make people go away from them.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I suppose we might look "bankless" to the outside. Until last year we had one checking account and a savings account with the credit union. Our checking account was hacked THREE times in 2011 and cleaned out each time. Our bank was cooperative but being a small bank it took at least two weeks each time to replace funds. And it was never from online shopping: rather, local places with dishonest employees who copied down checking account numbers or debit card numbers (we weren't supposed to know this but I spoke to an ex-employee of the bank who told me that it was account holders from certain local businesses who had all been hacked).

So we still have a savings account at a credit union. My husband has two different checking accounts with NO CHECKS, debit cards only (one for me, one for him). And my meager part time $160/mo paychecks go to a Walmart money card.

Because of that, all the things you would expect one to write a check for, and for me it's all kid related: Soccer league fees, school book orders, school pictures, etc... are all paid in cash. So I could see someone thinking we don't have a bank account when in fact we have THREE.

We are just suspicious of writing checks or even using debit cards anymore.

I certainly hope when I paid my sons soccer league fees in cash that the treasurer wasn't thinking I was some kind of degenerate low-life.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

2 members found this post helpful.

It does sound that way, but I assure you he works a legit job, and does not do drugs. He played the metal market and won. He started buying silver coins when they were super cheap and kept trading up. We went to the same account for the years we were together.

He is just super paranoid in general.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Why? Because he wants his wealth to be his and his alone?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Yes, it is. I come from a long time of being in the restaurant biz, also in the horse show scene. I know a LOT of folks who are here illegally. Some get fake SSNs and IDs and pay taxes on those fake IDs (yes, I am saying your Fed Gov is accepting fraudulent identification and profiting from it!), some just duck and hide with no ID.

I am a very, very conservative political sort. One thing that is so important to me and is where I usually split from the rest of my ilk is immigration. I believe we need to be more open to letting folks, especially those from south of the border, in to become legal citizens. Now the bums and criminals, the druggies? Throw 'em out on their rears! But hard working men and women who look at apple picking or being a groom as a pay raise? Welcome, welcome! These folks are the ones who will work hard, pay taxes, support local business, innovate, start business, and bring more diverse community involvement, thus enabling us to grow as communities, cities, etc.
    I am a right leaning Independent and have to disagree with you here. Those "fake" ID's, etc. often belong to someone else, which is THEFT. I don't understand how you can justify their actions b/c they work for sub par wages. IMO, the $$ they pay to coyotes would go far to pay their way here LEGALLY. Those that come here illegally do not care to become American citizens, instead prefer to earn untaxed wages of which a majority is sent back over the border to the tune of $22 billion a year (http://www.examiner.com/article/amid...oney-to-mexico).

Just to clarify...
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

3 members found this post helpful.

yup,

He said that he did not want banks to make money off of his money.

Where is that..."I dated that douche" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Why? Because he wants his wealth to be his and his alone?

A (former) friend's live in boyfriend did not have bank accounts due to child support issues. Yeah ....

I've also known people who did not have bank accounts due to garnishments/liens.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I honestly don't know how people do it, I'm very attached to my debit card, I'm fully electronic with how I pay bills.

I work for a small, private pet food company and people will come in with envelopes of cash to pay for the food, they won't use credit cards, checks or bank accounts. Most of them are elderly, probably remembering, as someone else mentioned, the Depression Era. Hard for a lot of us to understand but it was a scary time. I don't blame them for how they feel.

And no, they are not 'low lifes' or immigrants/illegals or working under the table.

That's not clarifying, that's putting your own little spin on what I already said. The point is, the Fed is enabling illegal immigrant fraud and theft by taking taxes linked to deceased folks. Ans, some are just fake, made up and never have belonged to anyone.

I did not justify anything, merely stated the facts.

You can keep your silly little old news links. And you can also continue to try and demonize folks who actually come here for a better life and work hard. There are good AND bad in the mix, I would like to keep the good.

Take your broad, incorrect, stereotyping crappy attitude elsewhere toots!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I am a right leaning Independent and have to disagree with you here. Those "fake" ID's, etc. often belong to someone else, which is THEFT. I don't understand how you can justify their actions b/c they work for sub par wages. IMO, the $$ they pay to coyotes would go far to pay their way here LEGALLY. Those that come here illegally do not care to become American citizens, instead prefer to earn untaxed wages of which a majority is sent back over the border to the tune of $22 billion a year (http://www.examiner.com/article/amid...oney-to-mexico).

Just to clarify...
    Let me add some information you might not be aware of. The US Immigration system does not allow you to sponsor yourself for a green card or work visa. Someone has to sponsor you. (Canada, on the other hand, allows you to apply on your own behalf). So the idea that they could take the money they gave to Coyotes to do this legally doesn't quite work.

Regarding remittances: legal immigrants also send lots of money back home. This is not something only illegal immigrants do.

Regarding citizenship: It took years and years for me to get a Green Card -have you any idea how difficult that is? I'm yet to do the citizenship test because it costs $500.00. You know what I could do with $500.00?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).