The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Acne Treatment

My daughter has been breaking out a lot lately and it's starting to bother her quite a bit. She has tried Proactive but it made her face really red and painful. Has anyone had success with off the shelf treatments? She is looking at Neutrogena's acne kit as a possibility.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

There are a few acne threads you can dig up with the search feature that might provide some knowledge. There's usually one or two of them a year.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I feel her pain. I had horrible skin in 8th and 9th grade, and I still get a zit or two when I get stressed or around that time of the month and I'm 28. Proactiv is horrible! It is so hard on the skin. The main ingredient in proactiv is benzoyl peroxide, which dries the skin out and causes hypersensitivity to sun. The Neutrogena kit will probably be much less harsh. I haven't used it, but I've used some of their other acne products and they're pretty good. I've also had good luck with Yes to Tomatoes, it is a mainstream "natural" product that is pretty gentle.

What worked for me is this: Rinse (not wash) face in the morning with very warm water and pat dry. Apply moisturizer (seems counter-intuitive, but stripping oil off of your face makes you produce more, which makes the acne worse) and makeup (going without was not an option for me). Avoid touching face at all. Before bed, wash face with a gentle cleanser and make sure any makeup is completely removed. Make sure any products put on the face are designed to not clog pores, but every product doesn't have to be a specific acne product.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

Take her to a dermatologist. Usually they prescribe antibiotics. There are also prescription strength topicals. It worked for my nieces. There were some side effects (dry, peeling skin) but it was manageable and they liked the results.

1 members found this post helpful.

There's a "sensitive" version of Proactiv that uses salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide. The full version is way too harsh for me, but the other one works great.

Also, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I've always had acne issues, but they are much much worse when I forget to moisturize. My favorite is the CeraVe in the tub - I think it was $16, but I bought my last one in March and I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through the tub. It's what my dermatologist recommended.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

ProActiv hurt my skin so badly. It was very painful for a long time after use.

Skincare is one of those things that what works for one won't work for another, and a lot of it is trial and error. Breakouts can be from a variety of reasons - hormones, diet, stress, health, needing to wash pillowcases, skincare products, some types of makeup, and a few other things. Salicylic acid (BHA), benzoyl peroxide, and occasionally AHAs are the more popular treatments for acne. Some try to use more basic products as acne can result from sensitive skin reacting to products. Using a gentle facial scrub to exfoliate can be helpful, though it's not recommended more than 2x per week.
    That being said, a dermatologist is usually your best bet, and it may take repeat visits.

FWIW, I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but my acne went COMPLETELY away when I started birth control pills at 16 years old.

Flash forward, I'm 26, and I stopped the birth control pills and switched to Depo shot...my acne is back worse than it was when I was a teenager...I have acne on my neck, my back, my face, I can't get it to stop cropping up no matter what I do.

When I mentioned this to my OBGYN, she said that it may not be the DEPO causing the acne, but instead coming off the pill. She said the pill helps with acne, so when you stop, you return to your baseline, and for me it happens to be having acne.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I had cystic acne and needed antibiotics. It was not standard acne.

I'm one of those lucky adults who still has skin issues. I've had really great luck with products by Paula's Choice. It is mail order, but worth it. There are different regimens and strengths and you can buy travel sizes if you want to test products.

If nothing else, go to her website, Beautypedia.com, where there are thousands of product reviews, and follow her advice on what products to use. There are a lot of bad products out there, so the reviews have really helped me.

Don't bother wasting and time and money on OTC treatments. Go to a dermatologist and get a professional recommendation.

There are a bevy of prescription treatments available and a dermatologist will help you decide which is best for you.

There are far too many opinions on the internet on skincare for you to try weeding them out on your own. As an example, COTH posters were recommending using lemon for the girl who turned her facemask into cement, others were saying lemon is much too harsh for facial skin, meanwhile Backyard Diva on facebook is going on about how much honey on a half lemon helped her skin.

I second taking her to a dermatologist and asking her pediatrician to prescribe the pill. The pediatrician could also probably give her topical acne treatment if she does not have a severe case. Mine did. I used a product called Benzaclin from the time I was 13 to early college. Worked great. But the pill is awesome too because it'll also minimize or eliminate cramps. Who wouldn't want that? lol

There is a class action suit going on re Acutane causing colitis - don't get talked into using the stuff.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    There is a class action suit going on re Acutane causing colitis - don't get talked into using the stuff.

I do actually know a girl who suffered long term, if not chronic issues with her feet after using Acutance (I think). I'd be very careful with the super strong stuff. But if your daughter's acne isn't quite severe she probably won't have to.

Take her to a dermatologist. They have topicals, no need for Acutane.

Acne Free is what I had been using for years, recently though no one has the regular version, just the sensitive. Even Walmart ONLINE is backordered . I have persistent adult acne, nothing huge, but it's a big deal for because it breaks through even WITH the pill.

I just grabbed some stuff, I think Neutrogena, that has the same ingredients. I can't go too harsh or my eczema flares up. The Acne Free worked great. Honestly, if the Proactiv (never used it) is making her face red, and it's a "good" system (same as Acne Free is my guess), then she may need to look at the pill, adjusting her diet, and being, well, cleaner. No cell phones pressed to her face, no fussing at her skin, no touching at all, and gently washing on a regular basis.

FWIW, benzol peroxide doesn't dry your skin out that much per se; it and other acne meds are designed to speed up cell production, thus eliminating trapped dirt and oil, thus reducing acne. But it can dry, and it can certainly cause sensitivity to light, though no in my experience, but a moisturizer is always a good plan.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    She is going to give the Neutrogena a try and then, if it doesn't help, she will go to the doctor to get a referral for the dermatologist. We have talked about b.c. but she (19) isn't sure about taking it. She is careful about her face and most of the acne is on her forehead (no bangs) and around her mouth. She has a good diet, but could use some more greens, and she drinks water throughout the day.

I went to several dermatologists over more than a decade and have used just about every prescription you can name (except for Accutane--that stuff scares the crap out of me!). What worked for me was Bactrum, Spironalactone, and Retin-A Micro.

But since I don't have insurance, I can't afford any of that. I was AMAZED when I used Lush Dream Cream on my face for a rash, and it totally cleared up my breakouts. It's actualy a body cream (I thought that would make me break out worse!) that a lot of people use for excema, but it works as well as the prescriptions plus makes my skintone mire even. And for $26 I can buy a jar that will last around 4 months. Awesome stuff!!!

Ole Henriksen, the green wash/tonic/moisterizer. I have tweaky, sensitive skin that reacts to everything. Not this stuff. Everyone I recommend it to, loves it. Stopped my sons teenage acne within a week.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    She is going to give the Neutrogena a try and then, if it doesn't help, she will go to the doctor to get a referral for the dermatologist. We have talked about b.c. but she (19) isn't sure about taking it. She is careful about her face and most of the acne is on her forehead (no bangs) and around her mouth. She has a good diet, but could use some more greens, and she drinks water throughout the day.
    If she rides, this could be caused by wearing tight pony tails and a dirty helmet and hair net.

I'm the same age as your daughter and I was prescribed a topical antibiotic gel by my PC doctor years ago. She also recommended PanOxyl, a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash, but it's hard to find. Clean and Clear makes a formula with the same active ingredients. It dries out my face so I only use it once a day and a 2% salicylic acid wash other times. I use Olay moisturizer with sunscreen everyday. But what really cleared up my face was BC pills.