The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default Favorite places for unique furniture/home goods?

We *will* be moving this year, dammit, and the most battered, bedraggled furniture/rugs/home decor items will not be coming along. Right now I'm casting about for ideas and finding bits and pieces I like, but I was hoping COTHers would have some ideas/info on other places I've not yet turned up.

Things on the list thus far include World Market, Uncommon Goods, Ikea, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, WestElm and a few other specialty/boutique places ... where else have you found unique and fun (and preferably not super expensive) furniture/home decor stuff?
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Try tenthousandvillages.com

Really neat stuff.

Etsy.com

Craiglslist free stuff. I see the MOST amazing furniture for free, especially the big stuff, because people need to get rid of it.

Check for thrift shops and consignment shops in your area. There are a few around me that sell really cool furniture in excellent condition. I just consigned a set of Crystal lamps and an oriental rug, so you may find some real t
    treasures!

Where are you moving to? Cities like Atlanta have entire shopping strips of discount furniture outlets. Where I live there is a Rooms to Go Outlet-some stuff looks like a train hit it, and other stuff is first quality. You have to pay one of their independent people to deliver, and if you pay for set up then stand there while they do it. Many places won't haul your old stuff away, so dump it before you move. Furniturelandsouth.com is a great resource, and if you know what you want, and you don't live in NC, then you order, they ship and you pay no sales tax. They have virtually every manufacturer, so you go to a local store, find what you want, and call and see what their price is. There's also IKEA, estate sales, and outlet malls. For the outlets go to: mallseeker.com, click on the state, and click "outlets malls only", and you'll get a list of the outlet malls in your state, and if you click on the mall name you can see the stores they have. Also, this time of year the big furniture places are having decent sales, but sometimes delivery is very pricey, and if you have to get rid of older furniture it can be a problem, because they won't do it.

And the last place I lived had a great local store, and they delivered free, had negotiable prices, and also had a storage section with odds and ends that were very affordable. They were very flexible for delivery too. Many smaller stores that are local can be pretty good.

When I got my sofa and loveseat I waited til the guy next door was home, and he helped me take my old set outside, and about 20 minutes later a lady pulled into the driveway, asked if I was getting rid of them, and she and her husband came back with his truck and took it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We go to antique malls. Not all of it is old but we have found some neat pieces for our home.

Chiasso is a similar style to some of those on your list and often has great deals.

Craigslist....gotten some great stuff!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I clicked on the title to recommend Craig's List, others beat me to it. Look in the "antiques" section. Well made, unique stuff, usually dirt cheap.

I also like World Market & Overstock's global section.

You can find some interesting pottery, baskets, rugs, etc. at shopgoodwill.com. Just like Ebay. You need to register and bid, but can get some great bargains. They charge for shipping, but you are accessing Goodwill stores all across the nation.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Anthropologie has cool home goods.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

If you have a Homegoods store near you, its worth checking out for smaller furniture and lamps. Its owned by the Marshall's company.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Etsy and Anthropologie have some really neat homegoods. Lots of interesting throws, throw pillows, wall art, vases, etc. Goodwill and local thrift stores are also good... my mother frequents both. She also paints furniture... if the finish is a bit worn and she doesn't want to refinish, she looks through my dad's Pantone books and finds a color she likes, then gets paint in that color. My late grandfather's mahogany chairs? Aqua. Entertainment center in the living room? Yellow. My iron bedframe? Glittery royal blue. It sounds strange but it looks lovely and fun.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Marshall's. It's hit or miss but you can find some great deals.

I love the online estate sales. We have several in the Cincinnati area and I have picked up some amazing furniture, antiques and collectibles at great prices.