The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter barn boots

I am in desperate need of new winter boots to wear around the barn for doing chores. I do not need something I can ride in, or anything that comes up too high on my legs, but I definitely want something that is going to keep my feet completely warm & dry. I have heard mixed reviews about the warmth of the Muck Boots & Bogs boots, so I'm a bit hesitant to give those a try.

I wear Muck Boots, the short black ones and without socks in very cold weather. and gimped my way to the barn twice in -30°C weather without getting cold feet. Can't say that for the rest of me though. They were the only ones I could get on and off easily because of my bad leg and they work nicely
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have had a pair of the Muck Boots and then a pair of the Grub boots. They both kept my feet very warm and dry. I like the highest ones as the neoprene tops "hug" my not so slender calves and keep out hay and shavings.

I gave my Grub boots to a friend as they were just slightly too big and gave me a rub all the time. Just bought another pair of Muck boots and would highly recommend them. They are slippery on ice so I have a pair of the yak-traks to put on them for ice.
    I also ride in mine.

Nancy!

Default Another vote for Muck Boots

I have had great luck with Muck Boots as well as other knock off brands such as Bogs, Mudruckers, Itasca, etc. I find they work well to keep my feet warm and dry and are my first choice for footwear when doing barn chores. I have the shoes/booties, mid calf, and high calf varieties (yes, I have a thing for shoes )

1 members found this post helpful.

Muck boots are my go to barn boots. I generally use my husband's, which are two sizes too big, but slip on and off without having to pull or tug. My daughter likes to use my Dublin mid River boots when doing barn chores. They are also water proof and warm.

I love my Muck Boots. My feet stay warm enough in the regular chore boots. My daughter has the extra warm, but heavier and less flexible, Muck Boots that you can get from the Muck Boot Company. If you are standing outside for hours in the bitter cold, check the temperature ratings on the various Muck Boot styles before you buy.

Lacrosse rubber hunting boots. You can find them in various degrees of insulation and tread traction and they are virtually impossible to kill. They are 100% waterproof with no seams to leak.

Their best ones come only in camouflage patterns, but I can't imagine fashion would play a part in deciding which boots to buy to wear while slinging horse shit.

I LOVE my Bogs.
    My aunt LOVES her Bogs. My uncle LOVES his Bogs.
    The girls who work at the local outfitter store just told me today they LOVE their Bogs (when they saw me wearing mine).

I have never heard mixed reviews about them... the only concern I have heard is that their sizes run a little small.

They are hands down and away the warmest most comfortable (and lightweight!!) boots I have ever owned, and I grew up in Chicago and Minnesota.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I love my Bogs as well, but they don't breathe, and after a few hours standing in mud/on cold concrete, my feet would get cold, even with SmartWool socks. I've never found winter boots that really kept my feet warm though. Keeping them dry is sufficient for me.

I did see these at LL Bean while bargain-hunting ... http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75769...ductId=1255645

They might be worth a try if you didn't want something really tall.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I ended up finding a pair of Bogs to try on at Dick's Sporting Goods today. They didn't have my (giant) size of 11 in stock, but I tried on the 10s to see how they felt. My concern with them is that they are loose in the heel area even though they were a size too small. Has anyone had issues with this with the Bogs or Muck Boots? I'm concerned it will be an issue with any boot of that slip on style. I would have to order, whatever I end up deciding on, from a website.

LOVE my Muck boots (got them on mega sale). Very warm (and I have terrible circulation and always get cold feet). And they were loose in the heel at first, but after about 4 wears, broke in and no longer have that issue. I wore them all day today in the muuuuud, ugh.

FWIW, I have a pair of Dubarrys and also Merrell snow boots. I wear the Merrell's all the time - they are so comfortable, waterproof, keep my feet just the right temperature and are easy to slip on and off (they have a zipper on the side). They're sturdy, so I feel comfortable moving horses around also. Good traction on snow (so far).

UGGS!!!

I have Uggs that are about 5 years old now. I live in them during the winter. They have a Vibram sole, so they're comfy. The heel is flat enough, and the foot wide enough to be stable on uneven terrain. They do well in snow and indoor surfaces (unlike my North Face which are slippery indoors). And they're waterproof. They're just about ready for a replacement. Worth every penny!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Hands down Muck boots! If my current pair ever dies, I will be hopping in my car and driving immediately to the store to replace them. They are 5 years old though, and show no sign of giving up yet! I wear the Hosers in winter, Brit Middies if I think I might want to ride, and the camp shoes in the summer months. I even confess to having a pair of Muck slip on mules for really hot weather!
    Cindy

Muck boots--arctic sports with smart wool socks

I have a pair od Dublin River Boots. They are warm and I have always stayed dry in them.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

I have the Bogs Rider Boots that I'm wearing for most of my barn work and they are great boots, but not terrifically warm. Had them on with wool socks today, in the upper 30s out, and I was getting cold (grooming, tacking, working...not standing). I felt my Muck Brit Rider boots were warmer, so I'm trying those again tomorrow to compare. The Muck sizing tends to fit a bit looser on me, so I have to make sure and wear thick socks or the boots slip, where the Bogs fit me better in that way.

Supposed to actually get cold and maybe, dare I say it, stay dry here this week (fingers crossed they are right this time!), so I will be trying out some different combos to see what works. I have those disposable insoles that heat up and love those when it is really cold (around here, that's <30...).

Love my Muck Chore boots. i have the tall ones. good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am in the minority here - I HATED my Muck boots. Only wear them if the mud leaves me no other choice. They aren't warm enough by a long shot. They don't offer my feet enough support so I have to put orthotics in them. And the slippy heel is a major issue for me. I got blisters on me heels and holes rubbed into the heel and ankle of all my expensive wool winter socks. I've replaced my Mucks with Bogs and like them a little more. The heel isn't as slippy for me. But I absolutely can't do 8 hours in a Muck or Bog boot. My choice for winter barn boots are North Face winter hiking boots. They offer my high maintenance feet all the warmth and support the require http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ml?from=subCat Bonus, getting your toes stepped on in them is practically painless!

I also have high maintenance feet & need a lot of support in a shoe/boot. I do have orthotics that I can put in whatever I get if they don't provide enough support on their own, but I would rather not have to take them out of my sneakers if I don't have to.