The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albion saddles?

I plunked an Albion on my horse's back this morning, and it fit her like a glove. It was stamped only "17<something illegible> Platinum" No serial #.

It looks like an SLK.

I'm very confused on all the different models. Does anyone out there know which model(s) would have the same tree & panels as this saddle?

Thanks, and merry christmas.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Retro, Karen Porter is a saddle fitter who has sold Albions for close to 20 years. I need to get her number (maybe someone here could PM us?) as an Albion is what fits my mare also. Unfortunately, mine is an 18" AP with a big forward suede brown flap. Not going to cut it in the long run since I need a dressage saddle. I would bet if you sent pictures to Karen she could give you more information. Or, you could email pictures to Hobson's Choice Saddlery who is an Albion dealer. I am coming to the conclusion that an Albion may be the way to go for me too. From what I've learned, there are standard models, but you can customize the saddle when you order one so there are many different ones out there. If you can talk to Karen it may be your best bet. Strange that there is no serial number. Also, Dutchess Bridle and Saddle may be able to help. They changed out the tree in mine for the previous owner of the saddle.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Thanks Maude. I did actually find Karen Porter's phone #. Her business is called Prestige Saddle & Harness and here is her contact info:

2150 Rosedale Road Quakertown, PA 18951
    (215) 538-1803

I have heard excellent things about Kate Wilson at Dutchess as well. Unfortunately, I'm about half-way in between Dutchess & Karen and I doubt either one of them wants to trek to No Man's Land, NJ.

I did find a little info on the Platinum trees, in case anyone else had the same question. They were created due to a demand for adjustability. So they are different trees from the "regular" SLK (although I don't know if they actually fit the horse differently -?) and I believe the seat is more open on the Platinum AND the thigh blocks are velcro - all good things for me as I find the regular SLK Ultima too confining.

Thanks again for the response.

Retro, Thanks for Karen's information. I had it once but...I spoke to her at lengh several years ago and the K2 Genesis has a changeable tree too. I do know that Albion makes low head and high head models. Good luck to you. Still in saddlefitting purgatory here...At least my mare goes great in the AP and I can ride in it.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Kate Wilson is very good and she does travel so you may want to give her a call.

Quote Originally Posted by schneidepc View Post
    Kate Wilson is very good and she does travel so you may want to give her a call.
    Yes I am in Nj, Allentown Area and Kate comes to me and I bought my Albion from her. I Love it!
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Kate Wilson travels to me in Buffalo and she traveled to me when I was in Flemington, NJ so her radius is not small. She also goes out to Ohio.

Call her and see what happens.

I called both Karen Porter and Kate Wilson. Both are very experienced and very highly recommended, and I don't think there's a bad choice there. I managed to reach Karen first, and she is actually coming TOMORROW, so I'm pretty excited! You can't beat that for responsiveness!!

Retro, I am SOOO jealous!! Please let us know what Karen says. I wish you were closer and we could combine the visit and split the travel fee. I guess I should just call her and talk to her. I don't think I am going to be an easy fit though. Good luck!

Maude, I'm not close to you any more, but I'm sure you would be more than welcome to trailer in if you want to. The BO is very welcoming. We've got an indoor & excellent footing, even some empty stalls you could use. Unfortunately there's about an hour of highway and a whopping big toll in between us though.

Call Karen! I'm sure she would make time for you too.

I just want to say for the record that Karen Porter is A-MAZING!!! She reps 2 other high-quality English saddles brands as well as Albions. Knowing my height/weight in advance, she showed up with demo saddles that I actually fit in and could get a good feel for. I ended up putting a deposit down on an Ideal saddle. She was also able to majorly re-flock my current saddle to use in the meantime. She took her time and worked very well with a mare who is not in love with the concept of saddles - actually my horse really liked her, which spoke volumes. Can't say enough good things.

1 members found this post helpful.