The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Once a horse is going well and has time/experience, the pedigree matters much less or not at all to me. But if I am trying to predict attitude, soundness, athleticism, bravery, etc., and the horse is untrained, the pedigree counts a great deal more.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I think that's a difficult pic to judge, aside from the cute face, but based on your responses to other posters, it sounds like you really like him, which is most important.

Just a couple thoughts on the other points:

1. I get that a particularly awesome pedigree might draw someone to an otherwise less exciting horse, but if you like the horse's conformation and mind already, why would an "average" pedigree, or one too many crosses to whomever be a factor? Predictors of crooked legs or bad minds are useful when you can't see the adult horse and assess those factors, but in this case the OP can.

2. Anything that is a safe/successful ammy T/P horse will sell, regardless of size/color/confo. Fancier and bigger probably sell for more. But IME the real resale challenge is if they don't want to event or aren't ammy horses. Other disciplines are less into TBs, more into big, fancy, quiet.

Default Closing Remarks

Horse was very cute and fancy, and wow, what a shame he had a left front bow and corresponding lameness. It is possible the lameness was from thrush.. Dunno...

If someone wants to gamble on him, I think he could be nothing in price. I can't take that much of a gamble on a horse I would want to sell. The bow isn't huge... it is low.... but I could see it without palpating....

Doggone it!

The photos did well to disguise that and shame it should have been in the description....took good look at race history...we are talking about Bungalow babe....to bad

Yes, you couldn't see it in the photo. And it is VERY small. But it is there and it was the first thing I saw. I do wish that I had been told about it. I asked explicitly about soundness and blemishes before I drove up there.

But all in all, I am glad I went. I stopped by and saw a pony cross that is quite darling... but small (14.3) with a bit of growing left. He is not an UL prospect but I could envision having a ton of fun with him and making him into an all around pony club, foxhunting, eventing, etc. porse for a kid or small ammy.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    The photos did well to disguise that and shame it should have been in the description....took good look at race history...we are talking about Bungalow babe....to bad
    Last edited by Winding Down; Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    The photos did well to disguise that and shame it should have been in the description....
    Our volunteers have to go by what the trainers tell them, and not all of them are as practiced "eyes" when it comes to looking at horses as others are.

Seeing as the horse hasn't raced in ages I'm inclined to believe it's an old bow and any lameness is from an abscess or footsoreness (not that those aren't issues in themselves, of course). Just the same, bummer, because he's awfully cute.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.