The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Why would you upload our photo to your flickr? Hate to be a pest but there's a "©" on them for a reason, you know.

In any case, he's a nice horse and worth a look. Our volunteers really liked him, said he was a very nice guy to be around.
    Yet you aren't upset by the facebook page?

OP - I like his look and think he's worth checking out.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Ok so color me a little confused.

Is he still with the folks who listed him on Canter for $600?

Or did Kirkwood get him and is now selling him?
    Emily
    I found him on the Canter Site and did not post the original link. I have not even looked at him yet, but was interested in getting opinions on this forum, since so many on here seem to know the TB bloodlines. Thanks! Ann

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGal08 View Post
    Yet you aren't upset by the facebook page?

OP - I like his look and think he's worth checking out.
    Pony Girl, I erased it on the facebook page as well. I was being stupid, and am fully aware of copyright infringements. It was not intentional, just plain stupid.
    Ann
    Last edited by Winding Down; Dec. 29, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional information

I had a Saint Ballado gelding (son of Halo) that was a mean, difficult horse. Very tough to ride. Used to attack me when my back was turned. Athletic and pretty, but whooo, tough kid to work with.

That's my one Halo experience; but because of him I don't buy any with Halo anymore. At least not up close.

1 members found this post helpful.

I always find it interesting that we pay so much more attention to the sire than to the dam. I realize it is easier, since sires produce more numbers, on average. Because they have so few offsprint, in comparison, it seems like we have little to no information on the dams.

Example: what if a sire, with a lengthy record, acquires a reputation for throwing unsound horses, only because people go to him with unsound mares? We typically look for studs to offset the weaknesses in a mare, right?

A

He's cute...that's about all I can tell. Pedigree is ok. Nothing that get's me too excited but also nothing that scares me either.

If you wait a few months for me to get him healthy, you can have the cute liver chestnut in my field
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    I had a Saint Ballado gelding (son of Halo) that was a mean, difficult horse. Very tough to ride. Used to attack me when my back was turned. Athletic and pretty, but whooo, tough kid to work with.

That's my one Halo experience; but because of him I don't buy any with Halo anymore. At least not up close.

Interesting...I have one with Halo who was one of the easiest OTTBs I've ever had. Did two novices and moved up the Training level his first season...is a great baby sitter....love bug...and very easy to ride.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/loveton

I have another one that is a grand daughter of Saint Ballado. Also very sweet...and smart. I just got her but she has been very easy so far. Lasted a long long long time at the track.

That is just one line in several....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

This was the horse in question: http://www.pedigreequery.com/devilwithoutacause

Maybe it was the name.

This was the horse in question: http://www.pedigreequery.com/devilwithoutacause

Maybe it was the name.
    Yeah...had to be the name I've know 3 or 4 by Saint Ballado. 2 of them were pretty nice show hunters.

I use Flickr all the time, I don't always want to link people to my FB account.

Sinc you have taken down your links, I cannot se the boy. But his pedigree is very aveage for a TB sport horse. One or 2 good names, but not in the realm I would consider a good sport horse pedigree.

I am looking for a prospect, but I only want 16.1 or above. Which limits me to about 1 in 3. There are a TON of under 16h OTTB's.

Since New Vocations had their Dec. sale and adopted out 30+ horses, they have said that their stalls will be quickly filled with horses waiting on the track or in foster homes. If I were you, I would wait to see what NV has to offer in a couple weeks before making any decisions. Their prices are very low, too.

I have seen pictures of a very promising CANTER horse, but its price is $6000. In other words, CANTER is not afraid to charge "real world" prices for their good prospects. Which makes me leery of a horse from them for $600.
    Last edited by Lord Helpus; Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Lord Helpus, here is the link:
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=282

I will have more pics tomorrow. And I will also be keeping my eye on NV. Thanks for the tip!

Re: New Vocations --> she's looking for a resale. I believe their contract is for one year? Then you have to offer first right of refusal to NV and keep updating them on new owner's info? Sounds like that might complicate a resale.

I almost always keep a horse for at least two years.... and I do not mind updating them regularly. Because I am such a small operation, I keep up with every horse I've sold and retain a right of first refusal on all..

Re: New Vocations --> she's looking for a resale. I believe their contract is for one year? Then you have to offer first right of refusal to NV and keep updating them on new owner's info? Sounds like that might complicate a resale.

OP, I can see why you like him. Beautiful shoulder and well proportioned. To be fair to his legs, one must see him in person. But he certainly is a nice type.

LOVE the "certainly needs a job to do."
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Sinc you have taken down your links, I cannot se the boy. But his pedigree is very aveage for a TB sport horse. One or 2 good names, but not in the realm I would consider a good sport horse pedigree.

I am looking for a prospect, but I only want 16.1 or above. Which limits me to about 1 in 3. There are a TON of under 16h OTTB's.

Since New Vocations had their Dec. sale and adopted out 30+ horses, they have said that their stalls will be quickly filled with horses waiting on the track or in foster homes. If I were you, I would wait to see what NV has to offer in a couple weeks before making any decisions. Their prices are very low, too.

I have seen pictures of a very promising CANTER horse, but its price is $6000. In other words, CANTER is not afraid to charge "real world" prices for their good prospects. Which makes me leery of a horse from them for $600.
    i believe you are mistaking the horses that canter owns and those listed by trainers. These are horses that we own (have been donated, let down and are in retraining) which are here http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...=48&Itemid=313

the horse that Ann is looking at is at the track and listed for sale by the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    i believe you are mistaking the horses that canter owns and those listed by trainers. These are horses that we own (have been donated, let down and are in retraining) which are here http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...=48&Itemid=313

the horse that Ann is looking at is at the track and listed for sale by the trainer.

Yep, and believe me, the training that the CANTER folks put on these guys is terrific and well worth the price. You can go see them as they will be, and take your time. I would most definitely go to CANTER if I were looking for a horse that is not rough around the edges. Totally awesome representation of the horse and impeccable honesty.

3 members found this post helpful.

PS: I am totally able to take the risk since I have my own place and multiple horses. If I were the typical amateur, who has 1 or 2 horses and boards them out, I would NOT be going directly to the track. I would save a bit more and go look at horses that are in a regular program and see them as they will be. Just sayin'

Default pony crosses are so much better !

You know you love them, they're so clever and handy and can jump the moon!!
    Riot Farm

I think that's a difficult pic to judge, aside from the cute face, but based on your responses to other posters, it sounds like you really like him, which is most important.

Just a couple thoughts on the other points:

1. I get that a particularly awesome pedigree might draw someone to an otherwise less exciting horse, but if you like the horse's conformation and mind already, why would an "average" pedigree, or one too many crosses to whomever be a factor? Predictors of crooked legs or bad minds are useful when you can't see the adult horse and assess those factors, but in this case the OP can.

2. Anything that is a safe/successful ammy T/P horse will sell, regardless of size/color/confo. Fancier and bigger probably sell for more. But IME the real resale challenge is if they don't want to event or aren't ammy horses. Other disciplines are less into TBs, more into big, fancy, quiet.