The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking OTTB Prospect, advice sought

https://www.facebook.com/kirkwoodspo...type=1&theater

I am not sure if this link will come through. I am going to look at this little guy on Monday. He is 15.2 at most, and ungelded. Thoughts on the pedigree are most welcome. I like his "look," probably because he is so darned cute. Can't tell what his legs/angles are like from this photo. Caretaker says he has big "bouncy" gaits. hmm....

Just uploaded his photo to Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91641376@N04/

And his name is Bungalow Babe.

Very fancy pedigree for a race horse but no idea how that might translate to sport horse attitude and soundness. It's debateable but some do not like the Unbridled soundness wise for a heavy use sport horse-and he is close up on the dams side here.

What do you want to do with him? Resale or keep as a competition horse? He is small and your resale buyers looking in a decent price range don't flock to see those unless they have a competition record in most disciplines. But he might suit you as a personal horse.

Picture is a bad angle so not much help...but I would look at his neck as it appears to be low set. Personally, I don't like cannons longer then the forearm and that left front look a little wonky down low...but he is standing funny so who knows. Sometimes farrier work can work miracles if the underlying structure is sound.

Go look, can't hurt and even if you don't like him, every one you see teaches you something in evaluating conformation and potential.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The photo is awkward his top line is in shadow and front legs askew...

Can OP post a better picture after she sees the horse? This one is pretty bad for evaluating much of anything.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the look. If you plan on buying him, do you have adequate facility for maintaining a stallion? It takes a while for the hormones to dissipate after gelding. Looking forward to seeing better pics and how it goes. I personally love Unbridled, not so fond of Halo though. But a horse is a horse, and if he is well put together and has a good mind, that's all that matters.

Awkward photo, so hard to tell. If your're planning to resell, findeight has a point -- he's a bit small for most buyers to be interested. His legs and neck look a little awkward, but it's hard to tell from this pic. Are you planning to geld him or keep him intact?

Thanks findeight. I was really curious about the pedigree because I am no expert in TB bloodlines. I've had very good experiences selling smaller horses, with competition records. There is a very good niche in the Ammie market for a horse under 16 hands and between 15 and 30k, that are training or prelim level packers, and that is what I have in mind. So size is absolutely fine. However, that being said, the horse has to be very rideable, at least easy enough for a good young rider (and many of those are terrific).

I always buy horses with the intention of resale, but also look for something that I would buy for my personal horse, if I were looking for one. The only difference is that a project doesn't have to have UL horse written all over him (and of coures, that's what I'd want for a personal horse), but must have nice gaits, and good jump, and correct comformation with cuteness a necessity.

I don't think he is young enough to change a wonky leg via farrier work... but we will see. The caretake said that he is straight and correct and the pic is deceiving. There are others there for me to see next door and I have time to spare right now, with this weather (grrrr).

Thank so much. Yes, the length of cannon bone is critical. With the horses in my barn, they all have such short cannon bones that they take cob sized boots (and they range from 15.2 to 16.1). I did not see the neck set-on as a problem in this pic but it is a lousy pic.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Very fancy pedigree for a race horse but no idea how that might translate to sport horse attitude and soundness. It's debateable but some do not like the Unbridled soundness wise for a heavy use sport horse-and he is close up on the dams side here.

What do you want to do with him? Resale or keep as a competition horse? He is small and your resale buyers looking in a decent price range don't flock to see those unless they have a competition record in most disciplines. But he might suit you as a personal horse.

Picture is a bad angle so not much help...but I would look at his neck as it appears to be low set. Personally, I don't like cannons longer then the forearm and that left front look a little wonky down low...but he is standing funny so who knows. Sometimes farrier work can work miracles if the underlying structure is sound.

Go look, can't hurt and even if you don't like him, every one you see teaches you something in evaluating conformation and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenie View Post
    I like the look. If you plan on buying him, do you have adequate facility for maintaining a stallion? It takes a while for the hormones to dissipate after gelding. Looking forward to seeing better pics and how it goes. I personally love Unbridled, not so fond of Halo though. But a horse is a horse, and if he is well put together and has a good mind, that's all that matters.
    I would geld him asap and I turn all my guys out together. I have no mares on the property. Of course, he would be turned out alone etc. for quite awhile.

I also like the look, from what I can gather from the photo. He looks to be short coupled with substance and it looks like he has good angles from the side, but heck, he probably looks entirely different in person. I'm not shopping seriously quite yet but the price here is great so I could consider him.

Warning: I look at horses all the time and probably buy 1 out of 20. I am ridiculously picky... but when I see one I like, I want him right then and there. I have seen a video of a horse that gave me that reaction recently but I do not have the finances to purchase him at this time.

This guy looks like a nice package. But again, crummy pic. I am going to take lots of pics on Monday so that I can share.

I thought Halo was a good horse to have in a pedigree... ?

I bought my guy as a just turned 4 year old. He grew another 2 inches plus and changed, filled out nicely. Had some issues with his hind end but I think that was the result of some growing issues that have since resolved. He will be 6 in Feb and has truly come into himself after a kind of rough 2 years with professional trainers.

Good luck, I am assuming you are planning to geld him if you purchase him. He looks cute and has a nice short back.

Pedigree has two crosses to Mr. Prospector- that's one too many for me. Other's experiences may vary

His sire's dam side is nice, sturdy and athletic lines.

He last raced in 2009. What's he been doing since then?

Halo is good, see him alot in the sport lines. Unbridled is debateable depending on who you talk to. Mr Prospectors can be erratic or wonderful, I had one that would be going great and suddenly turn into a jerk. Others never see the jerk and they stay consistently good. The dam exerts alot of influence too. Probably more.

Secretariat is grandsire (thru his son Academy Award) to a really spectacular Hunter named Caped Crusader who showed for years at the top. His sire, Bold Ruler shows up alot in sport horses thru various other sons and daughters.

Too far back to mean much but I see Round Table alot and 3 of my 5 Hunters had him. Dr Fager was the most drop dead, big, gorgeous horse I ever saw...nasty at that time too. But hear he did settle as he aged.

That pedigree is a nice mix and if he does tend towards the Bold Ruler, he won't be that big but will have alot of substance-looks like he got that copper penny color there too.

Post some better pics when you see him. Trainability is always a question that can only be answered by working with them in a regular program but the ones with alot of time in regular track programs seem to handle themselves pretty well given enough time.
    Last edited by findeight; Dec. 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Judysmom, acc'd to caretaker, the owner became "senile," ill, and stop racing, so his horses have ended up farmed out. There are others, some who did not get to the track at all, and they are sitting around.

I had a lovely connemara cross Mr. Prospector granddaughter, but that was 25% of her... and she was very pony -like in temperament, quiet and a lovely foxhunter. But that is one horse and a cross outside of the breed.

Ah, good to know that there isn't a sketchy reason for the time off

I don't dislike Mr. P. He tends to stamp his get (even when he's back in a pedigree) with a good hind end and a good jump. I think Gone West is one of his nicer sire lines. BUT, Mr. P. is not one of the real durable TB lines. Here, the horse is linebred to him, and it increases the risk that Mr. P's unsound tendencies are passed on too.

I gelded 2 this summer and 1 went to a horse show 2 weeks later...the other was turned out with 3 other geldings 10 days post gelding with no mishaps.and I have mares on the property..I do not like to much Mr P. and most definitely have a personal dislike for Halo up close..mean nasty individual volatile ......

Wow, great information! Thank you Judys!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Just uploaded his photo to Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91641376@N04/

And his name is Bungalow Babe.
    Why would you upload our photo to your flickr? Hate to be a pest but there's a "©" on them for a reason, you know.

In any case, he's a nice horse and worth a look. Our volunteers really liked him, said he was a very nice guy to be around.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Ok so color me a little confused.

Is he still with the folks who listed him on Canter for $600?

Or did Kirkwood get him and is now selling him?

I have a son of Unbridled. Will preach happy things about them all day long. Mine has done quite well soundness wise but does have an osselet. Never been an issue yet (knock wood)

I saw him, but I am learning slowly to not instantly gravitate towards the same lines to get the same results. Tempting as it may be not all get of a sire or dam for that matter behave the same. (Says the girl who rides horses, whose sister went to Stanford and is a well renowned artist)

Check the legs but moreover check his mind.

I always liked Halo's myself.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I like Halo's too. They are a bit tough-minded and don't tend to take much flak, and I wouldn't really call them amateur horses at first. But convince them you are on their side and you've got a badass competitor. They do tend to have the same heads, too

I love the Gone Wests that I've come across--very good jumpers!

I have a mare out of a Devils Bag dam here who is the FUNNIEST, most personality filled creature I've been graced with feeding. LOVE HER, which is good, because she's been one hell of an expensive rehab (she is the founder case I've been nursing along). I will be more excited to ride her than my babies that I bred and raised :P

Because I am stupid. I erased it.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Why would you upload our photo to your flickr? Hate to be a pest but there's a "©" on them for a reason, you know.

In any case, he's a nice horse and worth a look. Our volunteers really liked him, said he was a very nice guy to be around.