The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Kitty tolerance wearing thin....

I don't feel like arguing, justifying, or responding to any of these messages.

Wish I could post a pic of the "scarred, stressed, traumatized" kitty who needs a new home, as he's playing with his toys and running around the house purring. Yep. He's traumatized all right.
    Last edited by runNjump86; Dec. 31, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Softer litter, you declawed him, his paws hurt. Here is a good article on litter boxes, http://www.catbegood.com/cat-basics/litter-boxes/

Declawing is the amputation of the last joint on their toes, then they have to walk on those same toes.

8 members found this post helpful.

Well, you declawed him, and then had guests in the house - that's pretty major trauma and stress so it's probably stress peeing. But it might also be a UTI, so a vet visit is in order first for a urine test.

If it's not a UTI or crystals in his urine, then:

-Contain him in a small area like a small bathroom or a large dog crate.
    -Provide a litter box with very soft filling - sawdust from reconstituted pellet bedding works well & is cheap, or you can go w/ shredded paper
    -keep him there for a few *weeks*, til he relearns the box habit,

If you keep him in the bathroom, he can have the choice of toilet or box. It may be that the position of his mutilated feet hurt when he used the toilet, so he stopped. Keep trying, but it may be a while before he truly stops hurting. Nerve endings in paws are sensitive and weird, some cats don't mind, some are never the same.

You can try Feliway spay or wall diffusers, and/or ask your vet about a run of prozac (they make a kind you can rub on their ears, very easy)

He's telling you he isn't happy - don't punish him, listen and figure it out.

4 members found this post helpful.

Default Is this a first kitty?

Everyone is being kind to you - you have done everything "wrong" from declawing to trying to get kitty to use human toilet. Jackson Galaxy is a cat behavoirist with a show on Animal Planet and website, I think. You might want to check it out as his advice is very clear and easy to incorporate. Do have kitty checked for a urinary/kidney/bladder infection. Basically cat is trying to figure out how to use his "hands" with his fingers cut half way off as well as trying to figure out where to potty so it doesn't hurt and he can get some treats. Kitty's life got hard all of a sudden! Lots of cats do just fine declawed but there is always a stressful period of adjustment.

I am amazed that people find vets that are willing to declaw as it is considered cruelty by so much of the animal community.

16 members found this post helpful.

The declaw is huge. So many behavioral issues trace to it. Pain medications might help. I favor the litterbox in dog crate routine mentioned. You may need to try different litters. For odorous eradication, I swear by K.O.E.

6 members found this post helpful.

So you chopped off the tips of all his fingers and tried to make him go in the toilet and now you're pissed that he's urinating inappropriately? I wonder how you'll feel when he starts biting. You know that declawed cats sometimes become biters, right?

Forget getting the cat to pee in the toilet and concentrate on making life more comfortable for him. Softer litter and litter boxes in more places.

I'm sorry but your attitude is terrible. YOU made your cat this way and now you are pissed about it.

19 members found this post helpful.

if kitty is still having pain..kitty will 'go' anywhere. I would do as others suggested and get more litter boxes. Also, ask the vet about giving kitty a steroid..I had one vet suggest it and it worked great.

I agree, everyone is being way too nice to you. Do the cat a favor, forget about toilet training and give him a proper litter pan with very soft litter and possibly more pain meds since it sounds like he's still hurting quite a bit. Do cats everywhere a favor and never get another cat unless you learn from your mistakes here. I cringe every time I hear someone talk about declawing like it's no big deal. Vets that make it sound simple and painless should be stripped of their license. You have no right to be upset with this kitten, this situation is all your own doing and I hope for this poor cats sake that you do right by him and change your attitude about it. Yes a cat can be trained to use the toilet but a cat who has had all its toes amputated is not going to be comfortable doing this at all. Yes it's eventually possible but you have not allowed for any time for proper healing (as much proper healing can be done for a cat who has had amputations). This is one of those *head desk* things
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm not going to harp on you about the declaw issue. Yes, some people hate it and some people won't have a cat unless it's declawed. However, it takes a special person to truly understand cats and their many nuances.

I have never been and never will be a proponent of training cats to use human toilets. Many feline species have always been fastidious about burying their waste - it hides their scent from predators and improves their chances of survival in the wild. Domestic cats are born with this same urge. Asking a cat to flush a toilet goes against their nature.

Everyone has given you good advice, knock it off with the toilet training, change the litter, and get the cat to the vet for a check-up.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I have known two declawed cats in my life, and both of them became neurotic messes after it was done. I foster lots of kittens, and my worst nightmare is they wind up in a situation such as you describe when they are adopted. Most people won't adopt cats after they have been declawed, so they often wind up as you are threatening to do...chucked outside to fend for themselves, after their normal defense system has been mutilated. As far as what to do now, assuming you don't chuck him out? You have been given good advice.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

5 members found this post helpful.

WHY do we still allow de clawing in this country, most others don't? HOW is it possible that people still think it's ok, and VETS are still doing them?
    Please do this poor thing a favor and find a proper home for him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    HOW DO I STOP THIS?! I feel like nothing is safe on the floor of our home, and I refuse to live like this. My parents house was nearly ruined (and still smells funky on a super hot day) by our male cats using the basement as a toilet, and they would pee on things at random. I'm frustrated, mad, and upset because I love this kitty and don't want to lose him, but don't want to lose clothing/decor/pet beds/etc.

Advice...please. TIA!
    I think you know the answer to this - find kitty a new home: as much as you love this kitty, you love your possessions more.
    It sounds as if kitty has been exhibiting "inappropriate urination" behavior even before the neutering & declawing and nothing was done to sort out why kitty was distressed to the point of peeing in all the wrong places
    (cats use "inappropriate urination" to communicate: pain, fear, stress, concern, ie, peeing cats are NOT happy cats).

(Plus you really don't like cleaning the litter box re previous thread - I'm confused on this one as it takes a fraction of the time required to clean a stall & a properly maintained litter box should have very little odor: afterall you expect a cat who is about a thousand times more sensitive to odor than dull humans, to enter & use this box for his bathroom habits)

Don't bring cats/kittens into your home again - no matter how cute or how much you think you will love them: your "cat love" is conditional to the cat behaving appropriately (& you're not alone), so do yourself & future cats a favor, by living apart
    Pet the nice kitties at other people homes

I'm surprised you found a vet willing to declaw - was this a Feline Practioner? or a general vet who obviously cares very little for cats ... & certainly does not seem to have prepared the client for the long term consequences of toe amputation in cats

If you do want to keep this kitty, find a Feline Practioner in your area & start there:
    - rule out pain
    - rule out urinary issues (sometimes it's a physical malformation that must be surgically corrected rather than a simple UTI)
    - begin figuring out the behavioral issue (this can take a long time AND once a cat has proven to react to stress with inapprpriate urination, this is usually a life long "habit").

You didn't really set this cat up for success, as others have mentioned, eliminating in a toilet is not a natural instinct for cats. No wonder he is confused.

You could confine him to one room in the house and have it be "his" room.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I was feeling so frustrated the other night when I wanted to respond to this thread and my computer would not let me. Now I can respond, and can also read others' responses, and I support everyone who responded in support of the kitten and didn't pull any punches wth the OP.

Yea cat-loving COTHers!

Proud member of the I-have-cats-and-all-my-furniture-is-shredded-to-bits clique.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

If you don't like cleaning a litterbox, shell out a couple bucks and get a self cleaning one. I agree that this poor kitten needs a new home where he isn't stressed and can be a cat.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have 6 indoor only cats, plus 2 outdoor-ish ones that come in periodically when the weather's bad. I have 6 boxes in various places, and 3 of those are automatic. I have 2 self washing Cat Genie boxes, and 1 Litter Robot. (Sorry, on an iPad and doing links is a nuisance. Google will find them tho)

The Genies require almost no maintenance, and the Robot has a bag that must be changed every so often. I have to do it about every 3 days with my herd, it'd be maybe once a week with one cat. They aren't cheap, but are well worth it IMO.

PLEASE find this poor kitty a GOOD home and don't EVER EVER get another cat. Jeebus Creamsicle! Your post made me SICK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Hope the OP reads all this - I'm thinking it's not what she wanted to hear!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh - and when I re-read the OP for comprehension - WTF!!!! are you doing putting a DECLAWED CAT OUTSIDE!!!!! Damn it! If I lived near you I'd take him!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

No, she said she WANTED to, but I don't think she did:

I was honestly ready to chuck him out the door with a sign saying "Owl Bait".
    To be honest it was all I could do not to pick him up, spank him, and literally drop-kick him outside.

I hope she didn't, because he's just trying to get through to her that something is very wrong with him or his world. Sadly, I'm afraid one of those things can't ever be fixed