The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintec Leadline Saddle Package

We just got our 3 1/2yr daughter her very first pony for Christmas this year!! I ordered the wintec leadline saddle package from stateline tack -came with saddle, webbers, peacock irons, and girth.... My question is about the webbers....I'm not sure if I
    Put them on correctly bc even on the shortest hole they seem too longI know these webbers are made for the leadline saddle-it says they are supposed to fit even the tiniest of riders...so I'm hoping that theres a way to either adjust them, or that I've got them on wrong??? Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated! ...the girth also seems too big-44is what came with it ...which I've now looked at other leadline saddle packages such as the Camelot -that girth comes with a 24inch web girth-that size seems more like it? Anyhow...in that general price range is the wintec, HDR, Camelot , and Ovation is any one of these better than the other for a first leadline saddle??

Thanks again

I'd say of those brands, Wintec is probably your best bet. I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of any of the other saddles.

For the Webbers, you will slide the stirrup over the loop at the top (not the hook). That loop will slide onto the stirrup bar. The hook will form a loop that the stirrup rests on when the hook hooks into one of the holes.

The girth is going to be incredibly subjective. If you're doing leadline on say, my Arab, you'll want a 52" girth. If you're doing it on, say a shetland, then you'll need something smaller.

and where are the Xmas pictures????

The Wintec leadline saddle has long billets -- I have one and use a 22" Wintec dressage girth for a 50" FAT welsh pony.

I would say that they owe you a proper girth and the shipping to return and exchange.

The webbers double back and go into the slots. As a tip I don't use stirrups with my grandkids - I let their leg hang down long and natural and I have them split their hands, one in front and the other holding the cantle behind. That way they are not stooped over w/both hands holding in front and they are sitting up more proper with their shoulders tall.

Hey hey PONY FUN. I am an enabler!! You should also teach your pony to drive for double the use and pleasure. Darn shame I can't afford a pony sleigh - we've got the snow for it right now. I did buy a strap of sleigh bells and do drive my buggy all decorated this time of yr.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I went out and measured the kids webbers - they are 18" long. When hanging the stirrup from the highest hole --- it is 11" from the stirrup bar to the top of the stirrup, 16" to the bottom foot rest.

Since they sent the wrong girth I'd question which webbers you received also.

-- Tommy Smothers

Pony grandma...I just measured the webbers- they are 11inches from the top stirrup bar to the top of the stirrup ....and the package they came in said 18" kids webbers....did you have to wrap them around at all for them to be short enough? With the webbers attached and my daughter just sitting in the saddle on the arm chair of our sofa -she's reaching for them??that's why I wondered if I have them on correctly...do you by any chance have a picture of your webbers attached ?!?

Also...if state line won't swap me out for a smaller girth...I'm going to have to return the package and buy it from maybe justforponies.com ....they also carry the wintec leadline but everything else is ala carte...but I'd be able to get a girth as small as 20" if need be

I'm wanting to go the synthetic route bc they look to have a deeper more secure seat than the leather ones I've seen

You can't get any smaller on the webbers. I would just not use stirrups for leading around until the kid's leg grows longer. Letting the leg hang down natural helps them relax (no bracing on the stirrup) and they start learning a nice long leg under the hip feel. It will always feel 'right' to them later when they start real riding. It will be easier for them to ride bareback then too. In fact I start that now when it's safe for them - they learn to feel the horse and learn to relax andnot be scared of the feel of the muscle movement. I let them lay down (when standing still) both backwards and forward (hugging the pony's neck).

In the case of a leadline class you could wrap the webber to shorten it but I probably wouldn't do that for daily use w/ a synthetic material, it will cause it to crack. At this tender age it is not about teaching them to ride, we side walk them around and make sure that they are safe and don't get scared. We walk them down the road to hear the clippy clops and then up and down a small enbankment so they get used to going up and down terrain and are not afraid of the animals change of movement and balance. We step over poles and walk thru puddles, the kids really enjoy the little challenges. We use a halter and a snap rein and then they learn to add some open rein steering. Kids can't learn to really ride until they have some length of leg and more muscle and have developed a sense of balance for themselves.

VTO has an on-line sale right now if you're looking to rebuy.

-- Tommy Smothers