The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy How sad:

In our today's Craiglist:

*ATTENTION HORSE OWNERS & PROSPECTIVE BUYERS*

Date: 2012-12-28, 9:55PM CST

I tried to do a rescue mission a couple of weeks ago for a horse I saw on this site. I was going to the same town to pick up two other horses, and when I saw the picture of the rescue horse in the same town, I couldn't NOT take her. As luck would have it, they were in the same basic area. The lady I bought the other two horses from tried to buy this horse from the same people at some time before I got there. They would not take her offer..wanted more money. I got the horse for nothing. I knew the horse was going to be lucky to make it to her new home, but it was worth the effort. She went down in the trailer less than a mile from her old home. We couldn't get her back up and less than 4 hours later she died. My point.....if you don't want to take care of them or can't buy them good feed and feed them daily then you shouldn't own them. We all mean well, I just don't think the average person understands what the costs involved with horses are. It broke my heart to see this horse and several others in the same area expected to eat 'bailed dried tumbleweeds'. There was one there with a sore on its withers actively oozing pus with a horrible sore and underweight by about 400lbs. Please realize all animals have to eat and drink just like you do. If an opportunity comes up to sell before your animal gets too poor, take it!!! Something is better than nothing. KNOW THAT HORSES ARE COSTLY. THEY DON'T EAT CHEAP, THEN YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT VET, AND FARRIER BILLS AT THE VERY MINIMUM. Please stop breaking mine and others hearts.

Poor baby. My heart breaks for these horses in bad situations.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I knew I would be depressed if I read this thread. I wish I could save the world; my husband reminds me daily that I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    I knew I would be depressed if I read this thread. I wish I could save the world; my husband reminds me daily that I cannot.
    But you can save one at a time. Volunteer.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Did you report the other horses to animal control? thanks for trying. So sad.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Bluey, so sad. Wish they would post something like this in all the Craigslist locations!!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Is that ad still up? I'd like to email them to thank them for trying
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

No, I was not the author, although I have been there, done that.
    Except the ones I took on did live, thankfully, even when our vet didn't think so.
    Can't imagine how terrible it is when they don't, as here.

Yes, that is still on the Amarillo, TX Craiglist today.
    I am not sure it is ok to link here, but any one Craiglist will take you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In our today's Craiglist:

*ATTENTION HORSE OWNERS & PROSPECTIVE BUYERS*

Date: 2012-12-28, 9:55PM CST

My point.....if you don't want to take care of them or can't buy them good feed and feed them daily then you shouldn't own them. We all mean well, I just don't think the average person understands what the costs involved with horses are. It broke my heart to see this horse and several others in the same area expected to eat 'bailed dried tumbleweeds'. KNOW THAT HORSES ARE COSTLY. THEY DON'T EAT CHEAP, THEN YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT VET, AND FARRIER BILLS AT THE VERY MINIMUM. Please stop breaking mine and others hearts.
    Well put. I just had a person contact me about boarding last week...told me she was going to rescue a horse in the spring and loved my farm but couldn't afford the board so could I offer her a discount (of over 50%) since she was planning on taking a rescue horse...she told me her monthly budget for keeping a horse and it was appallingly small (under $300 for board/farrier/vet/training, etc.). I nicely tried to explain all the unplanned expenses involved in owning a horse and suggested that she instead volunteer at a local rescue and take some riding lessons instead. I gave her several suggestions of both rescues and farms with lesson programs. My advice was not well-received.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Wish they would post something like this in all the Craigslist locations!!!
    If enough people click on the *best of craigslist* button (in the box on the upper right side of the post), it will get saved to their Best of CL site.

http://amarillo.craigslist.org/grd/3507719999.html
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Barrel Racers, & Dressage

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    If enough people click on the *best of craigslist* button (in the box on the upper right side of the post), it will get saved to their Best of CL site.

http://amarillo.craigslist.org/grd/3507719999.html
    Wow, didn't know that.

Good idea for those PSA type posts.

I wish more people understood that if they simply cannot sell or give away their animals, then euthanasia is more humane than starving to death or suffering untreated wounds.

There's no honor in letting an animal suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I wish more people understood that if they simply cannot sell or give away their animals, then euthanasia is more humane than starving to death or suffering untreated wounds.

There's no honor in letting an animal suffer.
    The problem with that is that many vets won't euthanize healthy horses.

These are the times that made me wish BEHS had more resources - more money, more foster homes, more more more. We limit our intake primarily to law enforcement cases - the abandoned and estray horses, seized horses, and horses where the owner surrenders them to law enforcement. That keeps us full, but I REALLY wish we had the resources to take in the horses people can't keep.

I'm not talking about the horse who is now lame or blind or whatever and the owner wants to get another horse. I'm talking about the horses who may be thin and unvetted but otherwise healthy but whose owners have suffered a financial setback and cannot care for them any more. I hate not being able to help with those.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Oh, here's a good one for you... A filly was shot in the side of the head, was given/sold to an internet aquaintance (sp?? Argh!), who found the hole while trying to clean the sweet filly up.

She contacted the former owners who said they thought something was wrong with the filly but she was so wild, they couldn't get close, said just a bit tooooo airily and cavalierly, this about a BULLET HOLE in the side of the horse's head.

After all of us on the board had speculated to death what could have happened, and yanno I'm the type to worry a problem to death till I know what happened, it finally came to me...they had shot her, trying to put her down but didn't know the correct spot, she didn't drop and they couldn't catch her to doctor. I'm fairly certain someone had told them if they can't feed properly (she was a bag of bone because she couldn't chew, the bullet took care of the top of her mandible) and don't have money to do so, shoot her and bury. They tried, missed and the filly was left out in a pasture for two months. The other scenario is a hunter might have pinged her, but, with her coloring, there isn't any way any hunter would mistake her for a deer or coyote. I'm going with the former.

The lady who has her now is giving a try on fixing her up, I think the vet comes out today or tomorrow, but if it's too much money, she'll have her put down and use her money on trying to help salvageable horses which can be used. She doesn't believe in sinking thousands into a $50 horse, and I agree.

It's come to this. Wow....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!