The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old dog with chronic arthritis.... meds? Solutions?

Old dog is starting to show it (same dog referenced in the bed thread).

Shoulders are getting arthritic...

What have you found to best manage chronic arthritis?

Vet suggested previcox... However, it is super $$$ and one of the vet techs suggested it wasn't a good long term thing...

Started dog on a two week supply of it today though, so we will see...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I think Previcox is good.

I have also used Move Free (big bottle at CostCo) with success.

I have heard that previcox is good. It has worked well for a friend's dog.

My dog is doing well on metacam.

You will need to try different meds to know what works best for your dog. Rimadyl ate my dog's guts out. Deramax seemed to work okay, but they have had production issues.

I hope that the previcox will do the trick for your dog. Metacam has made a huge, huge difference in my dog's quality of life. She's happy (and bossy) again!

Best of luck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Loading dose of Adequan if you haven't already done it... (one shot every 4 days for a month.)

Horse adequan?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

If you've got the horse kind on hand, your vet can probably calculate a dosage. I think it does come packaged for dogs. It is off label use, but polyglycan can be used in dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Horse adequan?

The dosage is different and the Canine adequan contains a preservative (or whatever it's called) because the vials are multi-use, whereas for horses they are individual use.

I was impressed with Arthrimaxx (which includes glucosamine and chondroitin) and its effectiveness on my older dog.

Long term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories carries a risk of liver damage. Any dog on Previcox, Deramaxx, Metacam, Rimadyl, Etogesic, etc. for a long time should have periodic bloodwork to make sure their body is handling it OK. You can also ask about Tramadol, which is a different class of medication (pain med only, no anti-inflammatory properties) that is generally well-tolerated, has a wide margin of safety, and is fairly inexpensive. Joint supplementation can help (glucosamine and chondroitin), as can maintaining a healthy weight.

Feel free to ask questions any time in The Menagerie forum ... no need to wait until Off Topic Day!

SarahKing, RVT
    Last edited by SarahKing; Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: adding info
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Horse adequan?
    They make it for dogs too:

http://www.adequancanine.us/

My arthritic dog has done well on Metacam and massage/Chiro adjustments.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Fish oil capsules and Adequan. Save the NSAIDs for end of life or short term if you can.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I used Previcox for my GSD for her 3 last remaining years, accompanied with a 6 month liver enzyme check. She never had any disturbing levels and ultimately lived as long as she could have, sans pain. Yes it was expensive and we really were not in a position at the time to afford it comfortably. I had to give up some things...like eating...;-) My heart dog. I miss her so.

Liquid HA. I use it for my 12 year old Irish Wolfhound mix.

My elderly dog is on Rimadyl and it has been sooo helpful for her. You have to monitor them with routine CBCs though. 2 years into it and so far, so good.

My mom injects her dog with horse adequan every 2 weeks. He has kissing spines and this has helped him a great deal.

Work with your vet to try various things to see what helps.

My DSO's parents have a young (5 yo?) dog whose hips had degenerated so badly years ago that she essentially had a flat spot and a point instead of a hip and socket. She had surgery, and they started her on Recovery (which was suggested by a number of people here). The results are amazing...she is highly mobile, happy and playful. There are also equine and human versions of it as well.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

We use Cosequin DS (Double Strength) for our 10 year old GSD mix, he's a big guy that started having hip problems about 3 years ago. We noticed a big difference with it, kept him on the normal dose for his weight for the first 2 years or so, then bumped him up to the max dose (double) about a year ago. Seems to really help him

He's the same dog I mentioned in your other thread that has really benefitted from the Back on Track dog bed. We hope to keep him off the NSAIDs until they are needed, he's super active and comfortable these days\

ETA: we also keep a close eye on his weight, which I think is incredibly important! He has a very visible waist from above and I can easily feel (but not see) his ribs. If they are overweight at all, it really hurts those joints even more
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

Canine Adequan has been wonderful for my 13.5 year old Weimaraner who developed arthritis in her hind. She is a different dog since we started her on it, right after Thanksgiving. And the improvement was almost immediate -- that stuff is a wonder dug in my opinion!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Canine Adequan was a godsend for my elderly lab - with shoulder, elbow & hip arthritis.

Once he was about 12 years old, we added in daily NSAIDS and Tramadol.

The Adequan gave him about 3 really good years he wouldn't have otherwise had. Absolutely worth it, doesn't have the side effects of the NSAIDS (liver involvement). Prior to starting the Adequan, he had been on Cosequin with no noticeable difference.

I agree with the above posters to use the canine formulation of Adequan due to the preservative, allowing multiple doses to be drawn from a vial.

ETA: I have used Recovery SA powder for my other Lab, post-surgery. That really helped her, but didn't do much for the elderly dog's chronic arthritis.

I was skeptical, but J/D prescription diet from Hills really helped my boy. He wasn't terrible, but didn't show much improvement on consequin and fish oil. The vet convenced me to try the J/D which is very very concentrated fish oil built into the food.

I have to say that I am a believer. My dog hasn't limped in months!