The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ASPCA successfully sued for fraudulent accusations

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...elephants?lite

hmmm, and those were the good guys....

Maybe Fairfax is right, and 2013 will become interesting in these matter.
    Last edited by Alagirl; Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: as per suggestion title edited
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw that earlier and tried to post it. Hunh, an entity fought back and won!! I wondered if the carriage drivers in NYC could do something similar.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

3 members found this post helpful.

The judge declared Rider to be essentially a "paid plaintiff," finding that his only source of income during the previous eight years had been the animal-welfare groups involved in the case and media companies producing reports about it.
    I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you......

1 members found this post helpful.

If you want to maximize the visibility of this story, I would change the title to something like "ASPCA successfully sued for fraudulent accusations". I initially thought this was going to be another probably true but not well documented accusation of how terrible they are. This is big.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

done.
    I took your suggestion literally.

That story was big news in the Sarasota paper today. The Ringling circus which won the lawsuit claims that the legal fight has cost them $20 million so far. They are planning an anti-racketeering charge against the HSUS which, if successful, would award them triple damages, said to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    The Ringling circus which won the lawsuit claims that the legal fight has cost them $20 million so far. They are planning an anti-racketeering charge against the HSUS which, if successful, would award them triple damages, said to be in the tens of millions of dollars.
    So many people stop a fight when they have their sword halfway into their opponent. I hope RB&B drives theirs in to the hilt and leaves it there until they kill both HSUS and the ASPCA.

9 members found this post helpful.

There's 9million being thrown around when dogs are getting put down because of crowding issues...?

But good for RB&B, I may not agree with them, but good for them standing up for themselves!

Not really true that they successfuly sued. This was a settlement. Still good news. The suit remains active against several other groups. Aspca just didn't want to go through more discovery and another trial. The trial on the case the aspca originally brought ended with the judge finding that the aspca's paid plaintiff wasn't credible. The facts that came out in that trial were the basis for this suit against aspca and others for racketeering and interfering with business.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    There's 9million being thrown around when dogs are getting put down because of crowding issues...?
    The ASPCA has virtually nothing to do with local humane societies and/or shelters. And virtually none of the money ASPCA collects goes to local humane societies and/or shelters.

Don't fall for the con.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    The ASPCA has virtually nothing to do with local humane societies and/or shelters. And virtually none of the money ASPCA collects goes to local humane societies and/or shelters.

Don't fall for the con.
    More of the money raised by the ASPCA goes to local shelters/groups than from the HSUS. They saved us in Texas last year with hay grants for rescues (and have helped this year as well). They do provide grants to rescues/shelters, assistance to local shelters/rescues when they're seizing animals, provide education, etc.

I'm not saying they're perfect - but I wanted to point out that they do SOMETHING to help local groups. HSUS does nothing that I've been able to see or find or experience.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post

But good for RB&B, I may not agree with them, but good for them standing up for themselves!

the ASPCA is the club with he big infomercial on Animal Planet (AKA Animal Cops) Due to generous donations they have plentiful coffers, enough to even give NYCLASS a half a million or there about to put carriage horses out of work.
    Or to sponsor horse shows.

not to mention enough money to pay off their lackeys.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    More of the money raised by the ASPCA goes to local shelters/groups than from the HSUS. They saved us in Texas last year with hay grants for rescues (and have helped this year as well). They do provide grants to rescues/shelters, assistance to local shelters/rescues when they're seizing animals, provide education, etc.

I'm not saying they're perfect - but I wanted to point out that they do SOMETHING to help local groups. HSUS does nothing that I've been able to see or find or experience.
    While your experience is so, a really quick search shows complaint after complaint from state and local SPCA's regarding the amount of money ASPCA sucks from local donors who think the majority of it flows back to local charities. The reality is that local and state SPCAs are independent of the NYC behemoth and see very little cash back in comparison to the ASPCA's gigantic intake.

I do grant you that HSUS gives ZERO back and is just an outright scam.

In any case, I would not be heartbroken if RB&B Circus took both to the grave. Someone else can sponsor the Maclay Medal.........

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    While your experience is so, a really quick search shows complaint after complaint from state and local SPCA's regarding the amount of money ASPCA sucks from local donors who think the majority of it flows back to local charities. The reality is that local and state SPCAs are independent of the NYC behemoth and see very little cash back in comparison to the ASPCA's gigantic intake.

I do grant you that HSUS gives ZERO back and is just an outright scam.

In any case, I would not be heartbroken if RB&B Circus took both to the grave. Someone else can sponsor the Maclay Medal.........
    I agree that ASPCA and HSUS both don't do anything to dispel the myth that local 'human societies' or 'spcas' aren't affiliated with them. And that's beyond infuriating. I have advised several local groups to apply for grants - many don't seem to realize there's grant money out there from anyone.

I wish we could get a real, national animal welfare group that was active in supporting welfare and helping smaller organizations survive.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Imagine what $9.3m could do for rescued animals.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    imagine what they can do for the elephants!

A drop in the bucket for that club, since they are syphoning donations out of the pool nationwide.
    Don't forget, they have money to sponsor horse shows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    imagine what they can do for the elephants!
    Exactly. They already have a *cause*.

So I guess this means we'll all see a huge increase in those ASPCA commercials so they can earn more to pay this.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    So I guess this means we'll all see a huge increase in those ASPCA commercials so they can earn more to pay this.
    MORE?!!