The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Attire question

Hunter coming over to dressage land! I normally do schooling shows, and am not point chasing so I have an a/p wintec dressage saddle and wear simple tan pull on tights (breeches), with a green show shirt and a h/j coat (its black.) I'm doing a schooling dressage show at the same venue, it's VERY low key and laid back, which is what I need right now. More experience then anything else. So my attire and tack (I have a dressage bridle) will be fine...except for the shirt, right? What do I need to wear instead? White shirt, stock and pin? I'll be doing Intro A, hoping to get up to training at the end of the year, but no pressure on us

Yep to the white. A square, rather than shaped, pad will also help "the look." Have fun and learn lots.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

That's about all I'd change too. White shirt, stock tie and pin. Heck, I have a brown dressage saddle, so my jumping bridle and my dressage bridle are one and the same. Its just a simple snaffle bridle so it gets the job done for both.

You don't actually NEED to change anything about your current attire. Everything is perfectly allowable under USEF dressage rules. Just remember to sit UP and have fun!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

White or light colored shirt, stock tie or ratcatcher. If your shirt is light green, you are OK, although most riders will be in white or creme. Everything else should be fine - as long as your bit is legal. Pad shape is irrelevant. Have fun, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    You don't actually NEED to change anything about your current attire. Everything is perfectly allowable under USEF dressage rules. Just remember to sit UP and have fun!
    Absolutey! For a schooling show, you probably don't have to worry at all about your attire, other than to check the prize list to see whether they have rules about attire. Even for a recognized show you don't have to change your pad (as long as it's a conservative color), or your shirt, and you certainly don't need a stock tie. Conservative hunter attire is perfectly acceptable, and maybe even more formal than necessary for a schooling show.

At the schooling shows in our area people run the gamut from being all dressed up like they'd be for a big-time recognized show, braids and all, to people who put on a pair of breeks and a polo shirt. The main thing is for you and your horse to be neat, tidy, and clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Thank you! I'll double check with the show secretary to be sure, but it would be nice not to have to change anything right now, $$ is a little tight to allow for a new trailer and truck As much as I love buying new stuff!

The UEF rules are very well written

Conventional hunter attire is perfectly fine for dressage. The shirts should probably be a pale color, but it does not have to be white. Pale green is fine. Low key prints like pinstripe is also fine

Most schooling shows are pretty informal, though local rules / organization many request different.

I would add black gloves, you almost never see Dressage riders bare-handed.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

bump
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

No prob on the gloves, I rode without them once and I kept dropping my reins. Who drops their reins?!?! Apparently me, so gloves are a necessity.

You will be fine as you are, even for a recognized show.

Here's a tip: if/when you add a stock tie it will completely cover your ratcatcher when your jacket is on. And, if coats are waived, you remove neckwear. So even if you decide green is too edgy for you, you still won't have to replace the shirt until you want to.

Again, because of the stock tie, dressage people often use those sport fabric white shirts. I rather prefer the traditional cotton shirt for showing myself, but the advantage there is that those shirts make good everyday wear if you decide you want a white shirt but are unhappy about buying a unitasker that you'll only wear a few times.

Have fun!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Oh! 2 more questions...

1) what is the benefit to doing a weekend show? Most are 2 days

2) I'm in CA, but since I'm doing intro it says I don't HAVE to be a CDS member, is there a benefit to being a member?

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Oh! 2 more questions...

1) what is the benefit to doing a weekend show? Most are 2 days

2) I'm in CA, but since I'm doing intro it says I don't HAVE to be a CDS member, is there a benefit to being a member?
    The biggest benefit that I see in a "More then one day" show is that your horse will probably settle in and do better the 2nd day. And you may also feel more comfortable by day 2.

CDS is a great GMO - if you are going to join the "dressage scene", you'll get a monthlyl newsletter with listings of shows, clinics, educational activities, etc. You also select a "local" chapter to join, and dependng on your area, some of those chapters are really active. Finally, you also get GMO membership in USDF, which means you don't have to join USDF in a separate (PM) membership. So you get the benefits of USDF as well (aka another monthly magazine).

The other reason people like 2 day shows is because they only have to pay for a single hauling fee, etc. It's strictly personal preference. Often they're arranged as two single day shows adjacent - this is valuable if you're going for certain awards where you need X scores from Y shows. On the other hand, if it's just one show over two days, you only pay one office fee. When my horse lived in Sunland, I often would do say Friday and Sunday of an LAEC 4 day show and haul in for my tests (I had my own trailer). It's all about what works for you. Usually all tests will be offered all days.

While you're just dabbling at intro level, there's no real advantage to joining CDS. When you get to Training, you start to be eligible for CDS awards and it saves you from the non-member fee. When you know you're going to play in dressage for a while, then join CDS.

Welcome!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If you wear a jacket do you have to wear a stock tie/ratcatcher? Or for a schooling show is a turtleneck ok?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/