The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    And here I thought all those people using "welp" to replace "well" were just trying to be cute. Please do tell me that is what they are doing; otherwise, my head might explode.
    Yes, I believe they think it's cute. I suppose it's harmless, but it annoys me nonetheless.
    There's a poster on another forum I frequent. Seems to be a sweet girl, but her posting style drives me batty. Nothing is ever "little"; it's always "lil" (no apostrophe). She's also the worst offender I've encountered as far as the use of "prolly" in place of "probably".

There's (there is ) a post over in eventer land today that I had to sit on my hands not to quote and refer to this thread.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    There's (there is ) a post over in eventer land today that I had to sit on my hands not to quote and refer to this thread.
    That's just evil. Now I have to go find it!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    reticent actually does mean reluctant
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reticent

How about:

poll / pole
    palate / palette (lol)
    Baucher / boucher (which means, butcher in French)
    and many others that I can't think of right now.
    I see your Merriam-Webster and raise you one Oxford English Dictionary:
    reticent: reserved; disinclined to speak freely; given to silence or concealment.

What the M-W is doing is lending its authority to a wrong usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    "Lessoning" for taking lessons?
    I can't stand that either!!!

While we're at it, I sure wish some posters would learn to use paragraphs when they they write...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh my - am I the only one that thinks a whole lot of people must have too little to do and need to find fault with the grammar on a bulletin board - this is not an exam into med school, folks. My typing gets the better of me often enough, and I'm not so fussed if I use a slightly improperly worded sentence - better to just lighten up.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm sure you're not the only one. I can speak only for myself, and my feeling is that this is a place to write one's opinions, thoughts, ideas, advice, etc., and one is much more likely to be understood if one writes with clarity. Poor grammar and poor spelling get in the way of clarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    That's just evil. Now I have to go find it!
    I'll give you a hint. It's on the Boyd Martin thread.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter View Post
    I see your Merriam-Webster and raise you one Oxford English Dictionary:
    reticent: reserved; disinclined to speak freely; given to silence or concealment.

What the M-W is doing is lending its authority to a wrong usage.
    Well, I guess I'm biaised then...because in French, "réticent" does mean "reluctant", "hesitating" in a very general way, not just "reluctant to speak", but has lost the original latin meaning of "quiet"
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm guilty of using "lessoning" in place of "taking a lesson"! Less words to text. I do REFUSE to type in "text speak" in texts, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Oh my - am I the only one that thinks a whole lot of people must have too little to do and need to find fault with the grammar on a bulletin board - this is not an exam into med school, folks. My typing gets the better of me often enough, and I'm not so fussed if I use a slightly improperly worded sentence - better to just lighten up.

I just like to talk to other grammar nazi types about these peeves. Please don't assume I pick apart people's posts (or that I am perfect). Unless you ask me to proof read something or it's an assignment I'm grading, as long as I can understand what you're saying I'm cool.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

A curios expression here and there is some posting their horse is "itching" on a post.
    I assume they mean the horse is itching and "scratching" on a post to relieve the itch?

Paula, I agree. I just enjoy talking about language!
    I have to say, tho, that reading posts full of spelling, grammar or syntax errors gives me a negative impression of the person typing. I can't help it.

Lessoning and flatting don't really bother me. This is how languages evolve.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Paula, I agree. I just enjoy talking about language!
    I have to say, tho, that reading posts full of spelling, grammar or syntax errors gives me a negative impression of the person typing. I can't help it.

Lessoning and flatting don't really bother me. This is how languages evolve.
    I hope you give some of us a break, that not being native speakers, have not been able to acquire a refined ear for English.

Lessoning, flatting, clinicing... Those just make me cringe.

And LOFF. Maybe, if you are twelve, just maybe it would be okay. If you are an adult it makes you appear to be an immature twit.

I do understand if you are a non native speaker, to me that is different than a native speaker that is just lazy. I too have problems understanding posts that are so carelessly written as to skew the meaning.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

My experience is that none-native English speakers may occasionally suffer syntax issues, but often have a better grasp of grammar.

And like I said; I am just chewing fat with other Grammar Nazis. I don't hold it against you for your spelling or grammar or word choice unless you want me to. I mean, come on, in the "weird crushes" thread I use the term haaawt!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

ect. instead of etc. I think this bothers me the most.

Next would be "recieved", probably because I see this misspelled so frequently at work by adults who have more than highschool education and are native English speakers.

Another one that bugs me is the misspelling of the word "heel" by horsepeople--who you would think would know better!

The back of the hoof is not the "heal", nor is the back of your own foot!!! Oy!

NOT difficult, people...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Another one that bugs me is the misspelling of the word "heel" by horsepeople--who you would think would know better!

The back of the hoof is not the "heal", nor is the back of your own foot!!! Oy!

NOT difficult, people...
    I will say our Craiglist ads run about 1/2 and 1/2 when advertising a roping horse as a "healing", not "heeling" horse.

While some heeling horses may be healers also, I don't think that is what the sellers mean.