The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I use alot alot too

Paula
    Have you read Hyperbole and a Half's post about The Alot? Hilarious and every time I type it by accident, I think of her snaggle toothed monster. As I am fixing it, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTRider View Post
    The possessive its never splits.

That is all.
    Yes, this is epidemic; it has become commonplace, and no one seems to be able to tell (or care about) the difference
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I recently saw a help wanted ad which stated that they wanted applicants to be "contentious." I am bad. I applied for the job. In my cover letter I said, "I cannot be described as being 'contentious;' however, I am certainly 'conscientious.'"

For some reason I have not heard back from this employer; I can't imagine why not. "Loosers!"

While I am in grammar Nazi mode, it really chaps my cheeks when I see "should of" and "would of" instead of "should have" and "would have." I hate that alot. Stop it. Just stop it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Have you read Hyperbole and a Half's post about The Alot? Hilarious and every time I type it by accident, I think of her snaggle toothed monster. As I am fixing it, of course.
    I love Hyperbole and a Half!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Someone I know always puts a comma immediately after the noun in a sentence. For example: "Joey, went to the store. Sheila, is pregnant and ready to have the baby." Other than that, his grammar and spelling is actually quite good and it drives me completely bonkers to see his posts on facebook and his home farm's webpage. He's a graphic artist of some type and does a ton of horse/farm ads for magazines and I keep waiting to see one that contains these types of sentences.

A friend's 15 yr old daughter constantly uses "your" instead of "you're" and is also one who spells words with multiple consonants ("yesssss", etc.) on facebook and it makes me want to tear my hair out. I never bother to correct anyone though. I figure it won't do any good anyway and I don't want to come across as a know-it-all wench so I just try to ignore it while correcting it in my head.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Another one that makes me grind my teeth (and there is a CoTH'er who I generally respect, except she's guilty of this one):

The word is "well". Not "Welp". The latter is a misspelling of the term used for a bitch birthing a litter of puppies.

E.g., "Well, our JRT whelped last night; she had four lovely pups."

1 members found this post helpful.

Drawstraws, your friend's comma use after people's names is a confusion of the rule that you use a comma after a person's name if you're addressing him directly. So if you're writing a note, "Joey, please do not forget to feed the stud" then you use a comma after Joey. However, you do not use a comma if you are not speaking to Joey directly (Joey feeds the stud).

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Another one that makes me grind my teeth (and there is a CoTH'er who I generally respect, except she's guilty of this one):

The word is "well". Not "Welp". The latter is a misspelling of the term used for a bitch birthing a litter of puppies.

E.g., "Well, our JRT whelped last night; she had four lovely pups."
    Oh, that is why that word was showing up here and there, where it didn't make sense and I think it should be whelp?

I have known people to use that word like others use "honey" when talking to someone younger than them, so thought maybe that is what was meant.

Thanks for explaining that one.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Drawstraws, your friend's comma use after people's names is a confusion of the rule that you use a comma after a person's name if you're addressing him directly. So if you're writing a note, "Joey, please do not forget to feed the stud" then you use a comma after Joey. However, you do not use a comma if you are not speaking to Joey directly (Joey feeds the stud).

Paula
    Well now, there's another one that makes my head ache. A stud is a farm. A horse that stands at stud is a stallion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

A stud is a horse kept for breeding (Dictionary.com). Of course it is simply word usage, but not the purpose of my post. If you'd like I will go back to my post and edit my sentence examples to read stallion instead of stud. Would that clarify the purpose of my post?

Paula

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Sorry your worried about this. Hope you get some advise.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Sorry your worried about this. Hope you get some advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseShine View Post
    I recently saw a help wanted ad which stated that they wanted applicants to be "contentious." I am bad. I applied for the job. In my cover letter I said, "I cannot be described as being 'contentious;' however, I am certainly 'conscientious.'"

For some reason I have not heard back from this employer; I can't imagine why not. "Loosers!"

While I am in grammar Nazi mode, it really chaps my cheeks when I see "should of" and "would of" instead of "should have" and "would have." I hate that alot. Stop it. Just stop it.

HorseShine, thanks for the BIG guffaw!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

And here I thought all those people using "welp" to replace "well" were just trying to be cute. Please do tell me that is what they are doing; otherwise, my head might explode.

The ones that use "welp" instead of "welt" do kind of make me shake my head. I have an old high school friend that would tell me she had "welps" from something like being stung by bees. No, you might have "welts" but you don't have "welps".

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I wrote this sentence this morning- "He wouldn't be any fun if he was normal." After I hit send, I have fretted over the fact that I really feel like "were" would be a better option than "was" and it is driving me crazy!!!
    Yes, it would have been correct to use the conditional tense "if he were normal" because it is a condition contrary to fact. I try to remember the example "if I were King".

I love to use the conditional tense and find it annoying when it is not used when it should be used.

One of my pet peeves is using the word "angst" to mean "become anxious", as in "the horse angst about it" (or maybe they think "anxed" is a word).

Other stuff that feels like fingernails on a chalkboard

"Rhapsody" as in "Rhapsody in Blue" is spelled R-H-A-P-S-O-D-Y, not rap city. Someone in my college music class seriously thought the latter was how you spelled it.

Euthanasia is E-U-T-H-A-N-A-S-I-A not "youth in asia"
    Yes, I have seen this too.

The Youth In Asia was a David Sedaris short story I heard on "This American Life" some time ago.

I did have one student spell ludicrous "Ludacris" like the raper once.

This might be my "you kids get off my lawn" stage, but I cannot stand text speech in general writing. For example, notes to me or posts that use "ur" for you're and the like. I simply stop reading and move on to something else.

Paula

@Paula:

I used to have students write emails to me entirely in text speak. Excuse me, but this is a university course in organic chemistry!! By now people should be able to speak and write in clear comprehensible english. I wrote back to the same students and told them I would be happy to answer their questions if they rewrote their message in normal english not text language. I'm surprised so many students tried to communicate this way. Thank goodness I was only doing it on the side and not as my full time job.

"Lessoning" for taking lessons?

2 members found this post helpful.

My pet peeves at the moment are seeing apostrophes used to create a plural, "should of" instead of "should have" (and variations of this), any sort of text speak, and replacement of the letters "T-H" with a D in words like "this," turning them into "dat." Lack of punctuation also drives me batty.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.