The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double Bridle for a small horse

I own a relatively small Dutch Warmblood cross and as we are starting to move up the levels double bridles have been quite a topic of discussion. He has room in his mouth for both bits but I'm concerned about how much leather there is going to be on his cob size head. I've seen just snaffle bridles with the buckles for the bridle sitting on the crown piece but I haven't been able to find any double bridles like that. Does anyone know of any doubles like that or have any other suggestions to reduce the amount of bulk on his face?

If you can afford it, I think rolled leather looks very nice on a refined head!!

Just add a bradoon hanger to a delicate snaffle bridle with no flash.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

If you are really looking to get a new bridle, you might want to take a look at the Schockemohle (sp?) bridles. Their cob size bridles tend to be a bit on the small side which is great if you have a horse with a petite head. My mare is small (15:3) and has a very delicate, feminine head that is overwhelmed by the full size bridles. Even some cob size ones don't fit well either.

In the US the snaffle version runs around $225-250 but I got mine in the UK for about 1/2 that. I'm not certain what the double bridles run but I think Dover's has them so you might be able to find out on their website.

The closest thing I've been able to find to what I'm looking for is the passier libra double. Any thoughts as to the quality of the bridle or how it might fit?

Passier stretches like a mo-fo
    I love my passier bridle, don't get me wrong, but the throatlatch will be HUGE (like, too big for a warmblood on a cob; like loop it through the noseband huge LOL) and it will stretch probably 2-3 holes worth in the first year.

Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SamWerner View Post
    Just wanted to say, I don't have this exact bridle but I do have another Josef Sterling bridle that i bought from this company, and it's gorgeous. It looks and fits much better than more expensive ones I've seen, and people are always asking me where i got it.

Otto Schumacher has two styles with the buckles on top. I think Dressage Extensions sells them, but they're less expensive if you order from the UK.

Rolled leather - http://www.classicdressage.com/catal...ouble%20Bridle'

Flat leather - http://www.classicdressage.com/catal...ed%20Headpiece'

1 members found this post helpful.

We have had the best luck piecing together a double. All parts can be bought separately. I have used cob cheeks with a horse crown piece, cob bradoon strap, and even an large horse browband to get a perfect fit.
    Last edited by not again; Dec. 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by SamWerner View Post
    Yup, head for the Arabian shop. Schneiders is Arabian Central

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Otto Schumacher has two styles with the buckles on top. I think Dressage Extensions sells them, but they're less expensive if you order from the UK.

Rolled leather - http://www.classicdressage.com/catal...ouble%20Bridle'

Flat leather - http://www.classicdressage.com/catal...ed%20Headpiece'
    That's exactly the style I was looking for! Do you have any experience with using the bridles yourself?

You know what I've always wondered about the crown buckle style? How the heck do you adjust the curb and bradoon heights separately?
    I like the look, but I couldn't bear to lose that adjustability.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    You know what I've always wondered about the crown buckle style? How the heck do you adjust the curb and bradoon heights separately?
    I like the look, but I couldn't bear to lose that adjustability.
    It looks to me that there are two separate buckles on the otto schumacher ones that allow to adjust for each bit. The buckles for the caveson is still on the side of the face like normal. I don't think the passier has individual adjustability

Default Jerry's Harness Shop

Jerry's Harness Shop makes wonderful bridles. You can custom order each piece to the measurements you need. His Showtime line is less expensive. I have a drop noseband single padded crown that he made for me a few years ago and it still looks new. He has the very best quality IMHO and his prices are great. If you google him you will find the website. Beautiful leather and made in the USA!

I really like www.DelfinaSaddlery.com they allow you to mix and match bridle parts as well, and choose your rein style. Plus you can make a fancy bling browband from their empty channel browbands.

If you are looking for inexpensive, lots of parts and lots of different choice (including really expensive) I always like to shop Divoza in The Netherlands. See http://www.divoza.com/english/?gclid...FYp_Qgodhz8A3w

Many years ago I bought a $15.00 (plus expensive shipping) cob bridle (with reins) for my 2.5 y.o. stallion because I was sure he'd break it quickly. Although it was not the best leather, with care, the bridle lasted until he was 6.5 y.o. and outgrew it. I still have most of the bridle to use as parts. Almost all of his professional stallion shots are in that bridle and we won at DAD in it, etc.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

I have a Hennig cob-sized double for my 15 h. GRP. It isn't rolled but the noseband tapers towards the bits so it isn't too much bridle for a cob-sized head. In fact, I get a lot of compliments on it (probably because it looks simply smashing on my boy). The buckles up at the crown make it easily adjustable & the throatlatch is not too long. I'm pretty sure you can customize the Hennigs if you'd like. The bridle is a bit on the higher-priced side but it's just lovely and has held up for years. You could contact Skylands Saddlery in NJ if you decide you're interested & have specific questions about custom options for a Hennig double.

Saddlebreds tend to have finer heads and the standard in the Saddlebred business is Fennell's for bridles. They use horse sized crownpieces but with cob sized cheeks. http://www.fennells.com/store/produc...k=Show+Bridles
    I believe there are other tack shops were you can order bridles in different sizes for each part. Horse sized crown + cob sized cheeks fits horses who have refined horse heads very well

OP - I have the Otto Schumacher Munchen snaffle (purchased from Classic Dressage in the UK). The buckles on the crown are easy to adjust. The only potential downside is that you have fewer holes to adjust sizing, so it's important to measure carefully. They mixed sizes for me at no additional charge, based on my measurements.

I've seen the double, and there are two separate straps (bridoon/curb) that adjust individually on the crown.

If you go with this bridle, I highly recommend buying the crown padding option to go under the straps. It's a separate option when you order, and really adds comfort.